Atlantis - Occupancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis - Occupancy

How many living quarters do you think would be plausible in Atlantis? I am thinking that there is at least room for 100 thousand people to live comfortably. If you think this number is higher or lower, please give your reason. I need this information for my city simulator I am working on. Thanks!

If I remember right in Before I Sleep they say the city is the same size as Manhattan, so 100,000 may be on the low side. Being I have never been to NYC, I don't want to make a guess as to numbers.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I remember something about McKay complaining about the size of his "small" quarters. Other than that, I don't know, but I suggest 150 000.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Well since McKay said to search all of the city to find every important piece of tech and other goodies would be like searching every room in Manhattan and according to wikipedia the population of Manhattan was more than 1.6 million in 2011 that figure could go far higher, especially considering we don't know anything about the Ancient's economy, tbh I doubt they're a culture with businesses that requires offices for customer service, call centers etc lol.

I doubt they had that many people 10,000 years ago, but in terms of housing I think numbers could be anything from 5,000,000 to tens of millions in total throughout the city.

Comment

Valid, but take into account the shear amount of space reserved for science, labs, and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Neccho View Post
            Valid, but take into account the shear amount of space reserved for science, labs, and the like.
            Manhattan isn't an apartment city. It has plenty of office buildings.

Maximum? Probably high millions, what the Ancients actually populated it with? Probably tens of thousands perhaps less. I do wonder how many people can be evacuated each time the gate is activated. Perhaps that would be a good guess?
            Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Neccho View Post
              That's why I mentioned the office space.
              If Atlantis is actually comparable to Manhattan then living space would have to go higher than acual Manhattan living sized areas.
              Doesn't Manhattan have a big business district?
              Schools, gyms, tonnes of shops, hotels, offices that aren't always occupied.

Actual living areas probably only takes up a fraction of the overall area of the city of Manhattan.

I think it's likely the Ancients designed Atlantis with a future population in mind, otherwise the small numbers of people we've seen and building a city that size just wouldn't make sense.

Comment

The residential population of Manhattan is around 1.6 million as of 2011. I would assume that Atlantis infrastructure allowed for such growth. I would expect that there ARE schools, gyms and sections that a massive population could utilize.

As to how many people can be evacuated through the Stargate, I would assume at least 4 per second, which would make evacuating very hard. Maybe this is why the shield on Atlantis is unlike the shields on a ship. Whereas Atlantis has shield power as long as the ZPMs are power and a ship uses a capacitor that must recharge after it is depleted. The city, with full ZPM power would rarely be in a situation where mass evacuation would be necessary. The city would also likely have access to many warships and transports for evacuation purposes.

Any theories on how the ancients would evacuate a large population on Atlantis? 1.6 Million to be exact. I theorize that during war, the city population would be significantly less, civilians removed during the time of war.

Comment

Okay, this is Silver Neccho, just using my old rediscovered account that does NOT have probie status.

Does Atlantis have any quick transport technology? Rings or transportation beams?
                  sigpic
                  She enjoys fresh decrepit-pegasus patties. 99% Lean pegasus burgers.

I have been reincarnated as Teyla's Gymnastic Dance Sticks! Whoot!

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

I think the Ancient population could have gotten high back before the Wraith turned up, which is why we saw another city like Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy.
                    When the Ancients evacuated back the Milky Way they weren't all trying to squeeze through the gate, they were going a couple at a time, so the numbers were probably in the thousands, this means gate travel would have been fine.

Even if there were still millions of Ancients when they evacuated Atlantis was sitting on the bottom of the ocean, it was untouchable by the Wraith with the shields up and the Ancients had 3 ZPMs, which could potentially be almost full (which seems likely considering they were planning on leaving the city alone for the foreseeable future).
                    It only takes a tiny fraction of a ZPM's power to open the gate and transport things through galactic distances, so 3 ZPMs would be fine, with the gate for transporting even large populations back to Earth.

As far as what transport tech the Ancients had, we know they had the rings, Atlantis also features something similar, it acted like a lift that could transport people to a few pre-installed rooms, with similar tech, it actually sounded like rings, so could be quite similar.

Comment

It would then be feasible that Atlantis had ring rooms, allowing transport to cruisers and the like.
                      sigpic

When I quote you, I will post my opinion in bold inside of the quote box. Deal with it.

Comment

I think there may be to around 1000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dundee30 View Post
                          I think there may be to around 1000 people.

Err... we are talking about full capacity, not how many people would have been around during the war with the Wraith.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oops, sorry, I got lost. :-D

Comment

It'd be great if we could find a map showing precisely how Manhattan is zoned, so we could get a better idea of how much of the island is given over to residential use

I'd reckon Atlantis would probably take a maximum population of about 2 million...because I reckon that Atlantis' skyscrapers are taller than most of Manhattan's.
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                              X