This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate 1994 sequel still on the cards

Roland Emmerich has said once again he would like to go ahead with the original plan for his Stargate movies, when talking about the Independance Day follow up.

Roland Emmerich is planning Independence Day and Stargate sequels.

The director's creative partner Dean Devlin has spoken about the pair's plans to follow-up both of the 1990s sci-fi blockbusters.

"I can tell you that Roland and I have been working together for the first time in 11 years and we're every excited about the idea of doing it," Devlin told The Hollywood Reporter regarding an Independence Day sequel.

"Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that's gonna be challenging. But creatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go."

Devlin added that they did not want to make a movie that was just "financially a good idea", but also one that would "honour" the original.

"Stargate has always had this empty hole," he said of the 1994 movie.

"When we made the first one, we always intended on doing part two and three, and we were prevented for years. And our hope is that we can get another chance at Stargate and tell the entire story we wanted to tell."

Devlin remained tight-lipped regarding storylines for the potential sequels.
    LINK

Yeah, lets face it, now that the Stargate series is finally dead, and really starts to rot, I can see that the creators of the original movie want to take advantage of the situation.

This may sound harsher than it's meant. But I don't really see anyone of the series come back to TV. SG The Series had its run, it's over, and it's questionable that it would be able to be as profitable as it was in the beginning.

I'm not sure if a fresh concept to the original movie will have a chance either. But I'm curious enough to watch it, if it does. After rewatching the movie a few months ago, I thought, yeah, this is quite different to the series, and I'm sure a sequel will go to a complete different path. I think, I like to see this movie(s).
    sigpic

Comment

Ah, back in the good old days when Stargate was on Showtime...

Anyway, yes, I too would be interested in seeing a follow up to 1994. I adore the Goa'uld sets in that film - although they aren't named as such yet.

Comment

The thing is, you cant really separate the movie from SG1 and the other two series when you have characters like Skaara and Kasuf that are played by the same actors in both. So for me the series are a direct continuity. So theres that, and the first SG1 episode made it pretty clear Daniel never visited other worlds from his end, same with "our" side. We tried to go back to Abydos but it didn't work. And we didn't even know there were other addresses.

The only two possible stories they could show us is either Jack retiring, again and drinking beer by the lake, or Daniel shoveling sand and getting busy with Shau'ri. Unless they reboot the whole thing a la Star Trek, then how pissed would we all be?

Last time i checked, the movie gave us 130 minutes of material, compare that to the near 15,000 minutes of the three series including the two movies... Well lets just say that the original movie should be considered a concept and the shows canon.

I want more Stargate but not from those two.

Comment

He's says this every couple of years or so. Not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            He's says this every couple of years or so. Not going to happen.
            They don't have anything to stop them this time around though........
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              They don't have anything to stop them this time around though........
              They never did.

Comment

I am hoping that MGM sooner or later. Eventually goes into Bankruptcy again. The only franchise they want is James Bond it seems & with them having nothing else to make money. It is bound to happen again

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                  Unless they reboot the whole thing a la Star Trek, then how pissed would we all be?
                  Why would we be pissed? A reboot doesn't take away the old episodes. It worked for Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

I think that around 2020, we'll either have a new movie or a new tv show in production. Stargate is a good concept. Someone will make it work again in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    They never did.
                    Except for MGM owning it, and have a current TV series being run by someone else......
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                      I am hoping that MGM sooner or later. Eventually goes into Bankruptcy again. The only franchise they want is James Bond it seems & with them having nothing else to make money. It is bound to happen again
                      The Hobbit may make them some money.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        The Hobbit may make them some money.
                        The Hobbit is only two movies. James Bond is every few years. When first The Hobbit movie is done & Skyfall is done until the next one. MGM literally has nothing
                        Last edited by TheRandomOne; 10 July 2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                          The thing is, you cant really separate the movie from SG1 and the other two series when you have characters like Skaara and Kasuf that are played by the same actors in both. So for me the series are a direct continuity. So theres that, and the first SG1 episode made it pretty clear Daniel never visited other worlds from his end, same with "our" side. We tried to go back to Abydos but it didn't work. And we didn't even know there were other addresses.

The only two possible stories they could show us is either Jack retiring, again and drinking beer by the lake, or Daniel shoveling sand and getting busy with Shau'ri. Unless they reboot the whole thing a la Star Trek, then how pissed would we all be?

Last time i checked, the movie gave us 130 minutes of material, compare that to the near 15,000 minutes of the three series including the two movies... Well lets just say that the original movie should be considered a concept and the shows canon.

I want more Stargate but not from those two.
                          I've read about their plans for a sequel on the Stargate Wiki (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_movies) and they're talking about doing a movie pre-O'Niell/Jackson, supposedly about the stargates being built. Now if they actually do this, I really hope that they stay true to the series, and make it about the Ancients building the gates, because I just have this gut feeling that they're gonna make it about the Goa'uld building the gates, even though the series specifically established, and never failed to keep bringing up, that the Ancients were the Gate-builders.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancientechexpert View Post
                            I've read about their plans for a sequel on the Stargate Wiki (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_movies) and they're talking about doing a movie pre-O'Niell/Jackson, supposedly about the stargates being built. Now if they actually do this, I really hope that they stay true to the series, and make it about the Ancients building the gates, because I just have this gut feeling that they're gonna make it about the Goa'uld building the gates, even though the series specifically established, and never failed to keep bringing up, that the Ancients were the Gate-builders.

Some people constantly fail to grasp that Devlin's idea of continuity is not the same as TPTBs.

And so what!?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yawn, it's not on the cards. Devlin just likes shooting his mouth off every once in a while to keep himself a subject of discussion. They sold the rights to Stargate years and years ago. They have no legal right to make another Stargate movie; it's now someone else's intellectual property and has been since the mid-90s.

Note also that Stargate is the only script that Devlin ever wrote that has ended with "The End." This is just a classic case of 'being done with this crap,' seeing someone make something better out of it, and whining 'me too!'

I wish someone could sue him or something whenever he pulls this crap. It means literally nothing, and all it is is poking the bear.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X