Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did the word "stargate" come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did the word "stargate" come from?

I am pretty sure I've heard the word stargate in a context that predates the 1994 film. However, I can't remember the source, only that it predated the movie. My question to you all is, do the term originate with the movie, or did it exist prior? I tried a google search, but all I got was page after page of results relating to the movie and TV franchise. I didn't get anything not related to the MGM saga, which I found really strange. Isn't the whole point of a search engine to have variety in results? Anyway, I hope ya'll can help me out. I am working on a story about a pair of stargates that allow two-way travel between Earth and an alien world. It's a plot device, not the driving force of the story. I'm just looking to see if stargate is a pre-existing word that the franchise popularized. If that's the case, I can use it. If it originated with the movie, I'll be looking for a different term. If anyone has any suggestions for a two-way portal that only connects to one other planet, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/st...stargate10.htm

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure the word can be used with impunity.

It's interesting that this article ties "stargate" with "Atlantis"; that's what made the first two SG series so fully developed in the sense of the foundation of myth upon which the stories are built. It gives them a depth missing from most other franchises. I still wonder whose great idea it was to strip all the mythological ties from SG:U. Brilliant idea, guys. Just brilliant. Wait- is brilliant the right word?
        They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Thanks, guys, this was the help I needed. Before I run with the word "stargate," does anyone have a better term? As I said before, it's for a two-way portal that can only connect Earth with one alien world.

Comment

Why not just call it "the portal"? That certainly seems like it would fit.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              Well it's now official. If we ever find ourselves in a Lost City in another galaxy filled with technology ancient and wonderous- SF_and_Coffee is not allowed to name anything.

Comment

The big ring thingy?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Well it's now official. If we ever find ourselves in a Lost City in another galaxy filled with technology ancient and wonderous- SF_and_Coffee is not allowed to name anything.
                  Jeez, some people can't take a joke...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

In all seriousness, though...

Transit portal
                    Transit tunnel
                    Wormhole
                    Transport tunnel
                    "the tunnel"
                    Quantum bridge
                    Dimensional bridge

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      Thanks, guys, this was the help I needed. Before I run with the word "stargate," does anyone have a better term? As I said before, it's for a two-way portal that can only connect Earth with one alien world.
                      What is the context of the setting? What is the cultural context? Same as the Stargate series?

Comment

How about "The Doorway"?

Comment

I found both of these interesting...
                          sigpic

Comment

That's what the main characters will call it in the first story. However, when they finally reach the people on the other side (in the sequel), I want to have a proper name for it. For example... someone from the 1800's would see a car and call it a horseless wagon. Today, we call it a car, truck, SUV, or whatever the vehicle may be.

In all seriousness, though...

Transit portal
                            Transit tunnel
                            Wormhole
                            Transport tunnel
                            "the tunnel"
                            Quantum bridge
                            Dimensional bridge
                            Here we go... Of these proposed, wormhole is the best didscription of what I have in mind. However, that describes what the device creates, not the device itself. Would you object to simply calling it the gate?

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            What is the context of the setting? What is the cultural context? Same as the Stargate series?
                            I don't want to give away too much, as it is an original story. Check your private messages. I don't want to post the concept publicly. Like I said, it's an original story.

Comment

In order to avoid any confusion or any hint of connection to the Stargate franchise, you might want to avoid calling it "the gate" because that phrase does get used a lot in Stargate. If you're looking for a name that the people on the other planet use, though, maybe you might base that on the appearance of whatever device or apparatus actually generates the wormhole? You probably don't want to make it look exactly like MGM's Stargates, so maybe not a ring or whatever, but something slightly different? And then the people on that other planet could have a name based on that appearance, and maybe your people from Earth might adopt that name and switch to calling it that from calling it the portal?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X