Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: who gave Tyrion Lannister the money he carries around?

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Crab, clams, oysters (ever had an oyster shooter?) clam chowder, lobster, sushi (eel is DELICIOUS), octopus and squid...Pretty much anything seafood related, I love it.

And now that this thread has been derailed...I want fish
    You're going to love this particular recipe and the accompanying website.

http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/20...ander-kitchen/

This website features various meals in GRRM's books. This meal in particular was created with Davos in mind. As a fan of seafood and chowder, just looking at this seafood chowder is making my mouth water.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: who gave Tyrion Lannister the money he carries around?

ahem....topic please

(And for the record, I hate seafood. Fried shrimp, clams,sure. anything else just tastes bad. I want my food to have had hooves)

First Lieutenant

Default how long of an amount of time is season two meant to be set over?

I assumed it was meant to be several months like season 1 but then I noticed that Arya's hair hadn't grown back out at all well watching the season final just now
    Last edited by slimjim; June 5th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

First Lieutenant

Default do you think Arya was bored and miserable before the start of the series?

she comes a cross as so Tomboy that I can only imagine that being made to live the restricted existence of a high born lady in a medieval society must have been destroying her
    EDIT: as oppose to just getting on her nerves

Default Re: how come the Lannister family has many branches but the Stark family don't seem t

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    how does a family end up with more then one branch if only the eldest son inherits?
    It's probably a lot more likely that younger Stark sons join the Night's Watch (like Ben did), as opposed to Lannisters, who would marry the daughters of other nobles to tie their families together.

Default Re: how come the Lannister family has many branches but the Stark family don't seem t

how does a family end up with more then one branch if only the eldest son inherits?
    The eldest sons in direct line inherit. Children of younger sons become the other branches. The clue is in the word branch. Its like a tree, you have the main branch, the "trunk" from which many other branches spring.

Default Re: do you think Arya was bored and miserable before the start of the series?

she comes a cross as so Tomboy that I can only imagine that being made to live the restricted existence of a high born lady in a medieval society must have been destroying her
    EDIT: as oppose to just getting on her nerves
    Based on the first few episodes she still came across as a bit of a rebel, so no matter what her family tried to teach her I'm sure she never had any intention of living like just another high born girl.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

First Lieutenant

Default Re: do you think Arya was bored and miserable before the start of the series?

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Based on the first few episodes she still came across as a bit of a rebel, so no matter what her family tried to teach her I'm sure she never had any intention of living like just another high born girl.
    what way out could she possibly imagine?

I don't know about "destroying" her, but both book and series portray her as chaffing against the gender role imposed upon her. I doubt anyone disagrees that Arya is (often) bored and (sometimes) miserable when the series begins, yet she's also young enough to be allowed a measure of freedom from "ladylike" behavior. The restrictions would have increased as she grew older.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    In the books, Ned himself compared Arya to her aunt Lyanna in both personality and appearance. Lyanna was very spirited and tomboyish but quite beautiful too. She was also excellent in riding horses, a quality certainly uncharacteristic of the women in Westerosi culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    I don't know about "destroying" her, but both book and series portray her as chaffing against the gender role imposed upon her. I doubt anyone disagrees that Arya is (often) bored and (sometimes) miserable when the series begins, yet she's also young enough to be allowed a measure of freedom from "ladylike" behavior. The restrictions would have increased as she grew older.
    Had peace been maintained in Westeros, I think Arya would have turned out much like her aunt Lyanna. Thing is, Lyanna and Brandon (Arya's uncle) both had really fiery personalities, which contributed to their early deaths. Hopefully, that won't be the case for Arya since she's one of the more intriguing characters.

I would make the argument that both bored and miserable are too harsh of terms.

She's the youngest girl, living in the shadow of her older sister and older brothers. She's somewhat of an outcast in numerous ways. I wouldn't say she was bored, but I wouldn't say no to her life getting considerably more interesting with the finding of the direwolves and her journey south.

Miserable, though? Hardly. She's a highborn girl who has practically everything a highborn girl could want, she just isn't interested in them. She suffers from what I would like to call, Highborn-Problems.

I would make the argument that both bored and miserable are too harsh of terms.
    In the book, she's clearly bored when forced to participate in activities like the girls' sewing circle. Miserable I'll give to you. I wasn't attaching much emotional weight to the word, but yeah, misery is too strong a description.

First Lieutenant

Miserable, though? Hardly. She's a highborn girl who has practically everything a highborn girl could want, she just isn't interested in them. She suffers from what I would like to call, Highborn-Problems.
    how does being given everything you don't want make you not Miserable

The fact is, her parents are lenient with her. She's mostly allowed to be the wild child that she is. She's occasionally forced to curtsy or spend an hour sewing. Boring? Yeah. Miserable? Nah.

misery:

1. wretchedness of condition or circumstances.
    2. distress or suffering caused by need, privation, or poverty.
    3. great mental or emotional distress; extreme unhappiness.

wretchedness:

1. very unfortunate in condition or circumstances; miserable; pitiable.
    2. characterized by or attended with misery and sorrow.
    3. despicable, contemptible, or mean
    4. poor, sorry, or pitiful; worthless

Default Re: what is the nature of Brienne of Tarth's devotion to Renly?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    You know that, I know that...but to mangle Jamie from Mythbusters....I reject your reality and insert my own.
    Adam said that, not Jamie. And the quote is "I reject your reality and substitute my own." lol, sorry couldn't resist.

I figured that she liked him when she cried over his body.
    Rampant speculation:
    I believe her rough, man-like appearance was something she pursued to have because she knew of Renly's orientation. Then again, I don't read the books so idk... ;_;

Default Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

A place to ask all the little questions we may have so as not to clog up the entire folder with unnecessary threads for each one.

Same spoiler rules apply. Book stuff beyond what we have seen in the show in tags please.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

Great idea Ukko.
    The first few pages may be a bit cluttered, but from here on out it should get easier.

Default Re: Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Great idea Ukko.
    The first few pages may be a bit cluttered, but from here on out it should get easier.
    Thank you.

First Lieutenant

Default why did Renly have trouble sleeping with Margaery?

I don't see why it would be any harder then masturbating?

Default Re: why did Renly have trouble sleeping with Margaery?