The Skitter in Episode 2.03 ( SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Skitter in Episode 2.03 ( SPOILERS)

What do people think of our newest character Red Eye, is he/she a friend or foe, any other speculation.
    Last edited by knowles2; 26 June 2012, 09:56 AM.

Foe, for sure. At least IMO. I think humans did that to him/her/it, and I don't see it liking us anytime soon.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Red-Eye begins as an obvious & nasty foe, but the end of the premiere casts doubt. Red-Eye has the rebels under surveillance but appears to leave them alone. I mean, it doesn't look like he's summoning alien forces to attack them. Portraying him as a particularly cruel skitter could have been clever misdirection.

Do we need spoiler tags in this thread or is it lector caveat?
      Last edited by Brother Freyr; 25 June 2012, 05:05 PM. Reason: removed spoiler tags

Comment

Spoiler:
        I don't think he will turn out to be a friend. The whole bit with him communicating with Ben makes me wonder what is up with that. perhaps they are planning something and are gonna use Ben? Of course it could always be the opposite. But he looks cool nonetheless.

Comment

Red-Eye might be part of a fifth column. Maybe they disagree with the invasion or its methods. Maybe they're pursuing their own agenda (seems more likely ATM).

Comment

Who’s in Charge Here

Red eye brings to the table some very interesting questions. Regardless of the color of his eye, he is still an alien and therefore should be looked upon as the enemy. Would the unusual eye make him superior? Then I have to ask, superior to what?

The Skitters seem to have control over the Mach’s and the Dolphin (fish-face) creatures command the Skitters. Like any other army, there appears to be rank and file among the deadly visitors. In fact I see a pecking order with the harnessed children since most of them act like zombies while Karen and one other child in the first season could speak. Of course they are being used, but there seems to be some sort of selection, and I have to wonder how the choices are made.

Though the Mach’s are dangerous and could be looked upon as a sort of tank, like the American (Sherman) or the far superior German (Panzer), they are still just machines. Therefore they can be either destroyed or recalibrated to do the bidding for who ever is pushing the buttons. Now there is something to ponder!!

The Skitters who we all thought were running the show, now look to be not much more that the servants/lackeys of the anorexic dolphin beaked aliens. Though some of them (perhaps Red Eye) are higher up on the chain of command I suspect they are all expendable. Since they too are harnessed their place in the vast scheme of things is to be controlled and dominated. If you are born into captivity that is one thing, but if you are not, sooner or later you are going to want OUT. Red Eye just might be one of those.

Shortly after that object was removed from Tom’s eye; which to me seemed mechanical; a statement was made that if it were a device to locate the team, they would have been on them by now. That made sense. Once the thing escaped the jar it did not take on another host but took flight. So unless Tom has more of those somewhere on his person, its mission was not that of a tracking bug. Note that it didn’t return to a fish-face but sought out Red-Eye. Could he/she have placed it with Tom of its own accord? Could this be to learn Tom’s true intentions and was perhaps looking for an ally.
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to Gateworld, Lady Midnight. (first post) Red-Eye's agenda is the big mystery of season two, at least so far.

Originally posted by Lady Midnight View Post
              Once the thing escaped the jar it did not take on another host but took flight. So unless Tom has more of those somewhere on his person, its mission was not that of a tracking bug.
              The bug's return to Red-Eyed Skitter is not evidence that the bug isn't a tracking device. Remember, the humans weren't aware of the bug until it wiggled its way to the surface of Mason's eye, which suggests to me that its mission was completed. The skitter was probably nearby and ready to retrieve his bug.

Note that it didn’t return to a fish-face but sought out Red-Eye. Could he/she have placed it with Tom of its own accord?
              Seems likely.

Could this be to learn Tom’s true intentions [...]
              I doubt it. Tracking is a less complicated task and a more likely objective.

[...] and was perhaps looking for an ally.
              Red-Eye might want an ally, but implanting a bug in Mason's eye wasn't a way to win one.

At this point, we have more questions than answers. The skitter's bug, however, was a straightforward surveillance device IMO.

Comment

I have no idea yet what Red-Eye is up to. I do not believe it is good though. Not one bit.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Hello Brother Freyr and thank you for the welcome and responding to my first post. After reviewing my comments, I think I might have been a bit sloppy with my assessment of the device. Yes it is (some sort) of a tracker, but with what purpose? If it was to simply locate and destroy, that could have been accomplished before the team began relocating, and I might add a smarter move on the part of the enemy. You know that old divide and conquer thing before they join ranks with another fraction.

It also seemed strange that he was the only one allowed to escape after departing the alien craft. Of course he is the hero/main lead in the show, and one would expect him to be with us for a while longer, but either the writers have something special planned or someone was asleep at the controls. If the idea is to annihilate as many of us as possible, especially those of us who serve no purpose or worse, keep throwing monkey-wrenches into the machinery, one who think that planting a tracker on one of the military types that Tom in countered, would have been a nice strategic play on the invaders part.

Tom belongs to a dwindling rag-tag team that is composed of more civilians and untrained personal than true military types. Locating a nest of skilled soldiers would be a tasty coup for the aliens. It looked to me like at least of few people on board with Tom were just that. Yet rather than plant a tracker on someone who would most likely attempt to return to their unit, they were killed rather than utilized. How very odd indeed!!

Here is my theory....the Mach is a tool controlled by the Skitter. The Skitter takes its orders from Fish-Face. Fishy had already put its Air-Rover into high gear and took off. Red-Eye being an upper level Skitter then began work on his own agenda. Fishy trusting his General to carry out its demands just figured things went as planned. And the Mach? When the job was completed old Red just took his tank over to the local machine shop for an over haul.

As for what Red really wants....maybe before he/she was harnessed they were a history major and are just hoping to finish off a degree. Ah, in a perfect world....
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Red-Eye is pursuing a clandestine agenda. To what end? No clue whatsoever.

Comment

With this one I too like the fifth column idea. Without some help from the visiting team I see no chance for our race. If millions upon millions have been killed all over the globe, and there are only pockets of people remaining, I see no way out for our planet with out some assistance from the enemy. Reds attack on Tom as was mentioned makes sense. In this case it really would have been cruel to be kind.

As for what the aliens really want, I see the same old song and dance here....water. But, as common place as that might be...(V), it is a most believable reason for us to be attacked. We are the only true blue planet in our system. Others may have ice crystals that may or may not be located on the surface, but why melt the ice if all you have to do is turn on the tap? Since the masters of this war appear to be fish like, water is a big bell ringer here. In fact, I suspect their march from their sea might have been premature. They are tall but not very sturdy looking. Their brains might be developed but their bodies appear to be frail. This could be a good reason why they need their minions to do battle for them. Since they have been studying us for some time they may understand that head on conflict with us would be foolish if attempted under their own steam.

Some how I don't think Spielberg would have stopped at the need for H2O. He would take it to the next level, and that I think is the fact that they are using our own materials against us. In (ID4) the aliens used our satellites to invade...why not move into using our ground technology? It is not only a new angle but perhaps a lesson for us to learn.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Midnight View Post
                        It also seemed strange that he was the only one allowed to escape after departing the alien craft.
                        Pretty sure Red Eye let him go to send a message, i.e. be careful fighting us, we're more manipulative than you think.

Whether that message came from the Fish, or whether Red Eye took it upon himself to do that, we don't know atm.

*I would need to rewatch it, but I'm 99.9% it was Red Eye.

My theory is going down the route that we either know red eye (the other harnessed kid that wondered off during seasons?) or someone new to us, but know to them - maybe Captain Weaver's daughter perhaps?

Comment

Hopefully some answers will come soon about Red-Eye. It isn't that long of a season.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I think he's looking for the best way to take revenge on Tom and the team for hurting his dear leader. but who knows, maybe he is a good guy though i doubt it because it killed Jimmy.
                            sigpic
                            God Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Ranger View Post
                              I think he's looking for the best way to take revenge on Tom and the team for hurting his dear leader. but who knows, maybe he is a good guy though i doubt it because it killed Jimmy.
                              Don't forget, Jimmy was trying to kill it too. Self-defense and all that.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X