• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love and Other Acts of Courage (205)

Visit the Episode GuideFALLING SKIES SEASON TWO
    LOVE AND OTHER ACTS OF COURAGE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 205
    A boy who betrayed and deserted the 2nd Mass is found among the rubble of a battle, and leads Tom to an injured Skitter -- who he and Ben say is part of a resistance against the invaders. Hal and Maggie get close on a recon mission.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 May 2013, 08:57 PM.

Wow first one here huh? Well the episode had more than a few surprises.
    Spoiler:
    If I didn't know any better I'd say the writers are looking this forums up because as I recall the possibility of skitter resistance or rebellion was discussed here and alas in this episode we get exactly that tantalizing possibility and I love how we get to see for the first time the skitters as not just brainless murderous drones doing the overlord's bidding.

I hope that that skitter is the genuine article and that there is indeed some sort of internal resistance among the Skitter ranks that Earth's own resistance could use to it's advantage, I dont see the rebel Skitters and the humans becoming buddy/buddy as with Teal'c and the Jaffa in Stargate or the rebel Visitors in the V series both the original and remake as the differences are just too great but if true cooperation at least on a casual basis might be possible.

It was good to see Margaret opening up at last, her vulnerabilities make her character more realistic.

Awesome episode a solid 8 out of 10
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
      Wow first one here huh? Well the episode had more than a few surprises.
      Spoiler:
      If I didn't know any better I'd say the writers are looking this forums up because as I recall the possibility of skitter resistance or rebellion was discussed here and alas in this episode we get exactly that tantalizing possibility and I love how we get to see for the first time the skitters as not just brainless murderous drones doing the overlord's bidding.

I hope that that skitter is the genuine article and that there is indeed some sort of internal resistance among the Skitter ranks that Earth's own resistance could use to it's advantage, I dont see the rebel Skitters and the humans becoming buddy/buddy as with Teal'c and the Jaffa in Stargate or the rebel Visitors in the V series both the original and remake as the differences are just too great but if true cooperation at least on a casual basis might be possible.

It was good to see Margaret opening up at last, her vulnerabilities make her character more realistic.

Awesome episode a solid 8 out of 10
      Spoiler:
      I have to say I didn't see the skitter rebellion coming and only hope for the humans sakes that there is a genuine skitter rebellion. It is a possibility since we saw in last season that the skitters are also harnessed. It would be interesting to see them get more into the backstory of these overlords and what they really want from earth and the other planets they have conquered. I did like Maggie's vulnerability shown. Before I thought her character was just okay and kind of there, but now she really does seem human. Guess Hal and Karen are done for.

Comment

Well now, isn’t this turning into a strange kettle of anorexic fishes? I for one believe Red Eye. His actions towards Tom on the space craft looked like a wise tactical move to me. I never believed that our species after being harnessed would take on the appearance of a skitter. Change yes, but still keep our own basic make up.

I thought some might become allies… those that could resist the harness and still be willing to fight for their freedom, provided they could align with others willing to do like wise. The trust factor is going to be a major obstacle, but I guess that’s the next chapter.

What was up with all the mangled Macks? I haven’t been able to put that together yet.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Midnight View Post
          What was up with all the mangled Macks? I haven’t been able to put that together yet.
          I suspect the skitter resistance group meeting was found out and that one of the Macks was a bomb!

Loved this episode. Ben is really struggling with who he is and where he is going.
          Dad struggling to understand while dealing with his own fears. Maggie showing her vulnerable side and the skitters rebellion was a nice surprise....plus Matt stepping up to the plate the best that someone so young can...he's going to grow up fast!

Wonder when Pope's coming back???
          Last edited by Rosehawk; 09 July 2012, 02:18 PM.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

This episode was really great. I honestly didn't see the part about the Skitter rebels coming. I really thought Red Eye was bad, and I do believe I was very wrong. Hopefully, in time, these rebel skitters can prove themselves to the 2nd Mass.

The storyline with Hal and Maggie was nice to finally see. They both deserve some happiness. I just hope circumstances don't get in the way for them.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
              I suspect the skitter resistance group meeting was found out and that one of the Macks was a bomb!

Loved this episode. Ben is really struggling with who he is and where he is going.
              Dad struggling to understand while dealing with his own fears. Maggie showing her vulnerable side and the skitters rebellion was a nice surprise....plus Matt stepping up to the plate the best that someone so young can...he's going to grow up fast!

Wonder when Pope's coming back???
              Thank you...I often need a replay as I think my eyes either deceive me or I need to visit the optical department at Walmart. Totally in agreement..this was a thought provoking episode building up some good story lines. The absences of Pope surprised me, but in retrospect, they did have a lot of ground to cover and I suspect he will be a major factor next week. I think I might be a little unhappy with the direction his character will move in as for the moment I am in camp Red-Eye. Knowing how Pope feels about the Skitters it's going to take a lot on the part of Ben to convince him to give the poor creature a drink of water.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                This episode was really great. I honestly didn't see the part about the Skitter rebels coming. I really thought Red Eye was bad, and I do believe I was very wrong. Hopefully, in time, these rebel skitters can prove themselves to the 2nd Mass.

The storyline with Hal and Maggie was nice to finally see. They both deserve some happiness. I just hope circumstances don't get in the way for them.
                I completely understand your thinking. I was suspicious of (R-E) at first and the bug he planted in Tom made it worse. But then I thought why single out Tom, as he is not trained military personnel..he's an educator. If the deal was to knock out a major force within the resistance I would have chosen someone else. I think perhaps (R-E) gravitated to reason over power. If I'm on target that could be the wiser move. Can you see a Skitter approaching Pope with a white flag?

I liked the scene between Hal and Maggie. It brings some hope into play for a future that looks rather grim. In the beginning I thought they would get Karen back so they could continue the story between her and Hal. Then being a woman I changed my mind and thought she would be more useful left with the Skitters so we could see what the harness does to our species. After the exchange between Hal and Maggie I sort of gave up on Karen altogether....then there was the preview for next week and I thought..gee, bite me why don't you? No wait a minute...I'll take a pass on that..
                sigpic

Comment

I am beginning to think that the bug that they took out of Tom's eye in a previous episode might have been some kind of device that protected Tom from getting shot in the first episode.

The red-eyed skitter said that he saved Tom's life....Tom was the only one released who wasn't shot...the bug-in-his-eye didn't stick around after it was removed so it most likely wasn't a tracking device......
                  sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Another interesting episode.
                    So my hutch about the skitter rebellion was correct. I do not entirely trust red eye sob story through, he did not even blink when he killed Jimmy. So it will be interesting to see how honest he is being. An whether he really part of the rebellion or just one of the Overlord loyal solders trying to destroy it.

We need to learn more about these over lords and why they conquered the Skitter home planet and Earth. If that indeed how it went down. That the missing piece of the story.

Enjoy the relationships in this episode, a lot of loving going on in the second Mass, only ones not getting anything is poor Matt, Weaver and Ben.

Matt look cute guarding the truck even through we know he more than capably of taking down a skitter or two with that gun.

I think the reason they are interested in Tom is he is a educator, may be both the Skitter and Overlords are trying to learn something from the humans. Despite Red eyes warning that we would die if we did join together so far we been doing pretty well against the Overlords and their skitter army.

An Tom was right, we have never seen a skitter flinch whiles killing us.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 11 July 2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                      I am beginning to think that the bug that they took out of Tom's eye in a previous episode might have been some kind of device that protected Tom from getting shot in the first episode.

The red-eyed skitter said that he saved Tom's life....Tom was the only one released who wasn't shot...the bug-in-his-eye didn't stick around after it was removed so it most likely wasn't a tracking device......
                      I have my doubts about the bug in the eye too. If it had gone to another host than that would have been very telling, and was what I expected. It's departure was a big surprise to me. It was one way of introducing to us what they are capable of and might be a useful tool to them in more than one way. But as a tracker for that moment...this member of the jury is on a coffee break..
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        Another interesting episode.
                        So my hutch about the skitter rebellion was correct. I do not entirely trust red eye sob story through, he did not even blink when he killed Jimmy. So it will be interesting to see how honest he is being. An whether he really part of the rebellion or just one of the Overlord loyal solders trying to destroy it.

We need to learn more about these over lords and why they conquered the Skitter home planet and Earth. If that indeed how it went down. That the missing piece of the story.

Enjoy the relationships in this episode, a lot of loving going on in the second Mass, only ones not getting anything is poor Matt, Weaver and Ben.

Matt look cute guarding the truck even through we know he more than capably of taking down a skitter or two with that gun.

I think the reason they are interested in Tom is he is a educator, may be both the Skitter and Overlords are trying to learn something from the humans. Despite Red eyes warning that we would die if we did join together so far we been doing pretty well against the Overlords and their skitter army.

An Tom was right, we have never seen a skitter flinch whiles killing us.
                        The killing of Jimmy has me confused and I either need to see it again or have a member educate me. Ben was willing to get to (R-E) anyway he could after that scary screeching scene. (That by the way was one of the most terrifying moments of the series for me!) Both he and Ricky seem ready to die for him, but recall that except for Pope, Ben is a super Skitter blaster and almost killed his father doing it. So his allegiance to RE is most interesting. Now where I'm fuzzy is what was Ben's reaction to RE killing Jimmy? Did Ben act like he knew the Skitter was RE? Did he appear confused? What was said as I can't recall. Could that Skitter have been a decoy? Leaving Ben alive would make sense if the goal was to use the boy to find a rogue Skitter. Yes I know, a shot in the dark.

The Skitter story is a major factor and I am trying to keep track of what little info we have. We do know that they are subservient to the Over Lords (OL's). That kneeling and bowing act spoke volumes...and made me gag. They are harnessed so their display of respect would not seem to be by choice. (Hitler and the Generals with the bomb at Valkyrie). The Skitter in charge of the small group of children appeared more parent like than watch dog. Of course that doesn't mean they all feel that way about their charges, but it does show they are capable of compassion, where as the (OL's) so far seem to have none. In the end we a least know that it is tough to fight a war on two fronts....have the OL's been there too?

Yes I believe they seek human history to learn our strengths and discover our weaknesses. I have to wonder if they are making a collection of educators like the aliens did with scientist in (V). But then again, haven't they been studying us for years? What, they need a refresher course??

Question: If on our planet they are only harnessing children and young adults...is that what the Skitters were on their world?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Midnight View Post
                          Question: If on our planet they are only harnessing children and young adults...is that what the Skitters were on their world?
                          I believe that what Red Eye stated (will have to re watch that scene). For all we know 100 years might be just a fraction of a skitter life expectancy. It would have been cool if we had a few flash back scenes of the skitter life on his home world, when he collapse into unconsciousness. May be they will give us one in the future.

Comment

This episode was even better on a second watch. My wife doesn't always get to watch it live with me on Sunday nights. I always seem to pick up something I missed on the first time around.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Oh yes, flash backs from a Skitter, now that would be educational also maybe original as I don't recall any thing like that from an alien point of view. Sometimes I fantasize that the writers are reading this and we give them ideas.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X