Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitpicking: Voyager's Battle Damage throughout the Series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitpicking: Voyager's Battle Damage throughout the Series.

Ok, here's a good challenge for Nitpickers and those who've watched the series.

Just how much damage has Voyager Endured throughout it's 7 year voyage through the Delta Quadrent? And what systems have been damaged the most during it's battles?

One more thing to speculate on here:

If Voyager in a heavily damaged state had pulled into Utopia Planitia [say Voyager from "Year of Hell"] Just how long would it take to repair it?

I've always noticed during battles the power system on voyager takes a hell of a beating, lots of EPS Conduits get blown out -but that seems to be a standard thing on Federation vessels in combat leading to deaths caused by exploding consoles-
    Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

It hard to tell what systems would be damage the most, probably the shield emitters But Voyage also incorporated a few alien systems during her journey through the Delta Quandrant, Borg, the sensors it got when she was trap in chaotic space, a much more energy efficient replicator s probably others that I have forgotten.

An if past federation ships are anything to go buy, Voyager probably has a service life of between 50 and 70 years. The new carriers the British and US are building are all predicted to be operation after 50 year. So she was probably built to survive a battering.

Year of hell damage would have require months if not years of repairs without a dry docl. But it was clear from the dialogue in the episode that Voyager apart from a few unbreathable decks, was still functional vessel.

I just wish they change the ending so the crew was still scattered about and Voyager was still heavily damage.
    Last edited by knowles2; 15 June 2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

If you want to nitpick, I'd say Voyager probably should not have survived up to S2-3 at most without major overhauls in a spacedock.
      The only "semi-mitigating" factor I could even come close to "hanging my hat" on it's survival is that the Intrepid class is *built* for long distance and deep recon missions and it would be quite understandable for it to be somewhat modular in design as far as parts and such go.
      Still, in all honestly it probably should not have survived the 7 years in the Delta Quadrant.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I remember in Deadlock they had a massive hole ripped in the hull escaping an attacking vidian ship.

Next week, fine.

It safe to say that along with the number of torpedeos and shuttles, the writers did not keep track of this stuff over time.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          I just wish they change the ending so the crew was still scattered about and Voyager was still heavily damage.
          The network (UPN) wouldn't allow for such a large, sweeping story. The network's argument was that it would confuse the viewers and that it would hurt reruns. When it came to Voyager, the network wanted the show to remain episodic. Remember, this was back in the day when a network showed reruns from the current season between new episodes. Over the summer, the season that just ended would go into reruns. The episodes were often aired randomly.

Granted, this was how most weekly TV shows were handled.

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
          I remember in Deadlock they had a massive hole ripped in the hull escaping an attacking vidian ship.
          Are you sure you're not talking about "Fury?" In "Deadlock," there were hull breaches, but they were all minor. The hull crisis was about fractures that could lead to multiple small breaches.

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
          It safe to say that along with the number of torpedeos and shuttles, the writers did not keep track of this stuff over time.
          Who's to say they can't rebuild lost shuttlecraft? Clearly they can if they can build the Delta Flyer not once, but twice. Shuttles are warp capable, yes? If they can replace a shuttlecraft warp core, then why was it a big deal when Voyager lost it's warp core not once, but twice? First in "Day of Honor" and again in "Renaissance Man." If they can build shuttlecraft, why not a warp core? Perhaps the urgency in both situations was the ship being dead in space, vulnerable?

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            It hard to tell what systems would be damage the most, probably the shield emitters But Voyage also incorporated a few alien systems during her journey through the Delta Quandrant, Borg, the sensors it got when she was trap in chaotic space, a much more energy efficient replicator s probably others that I have forgotten.

An if past federation ships are anything to go buy, Voyager probably has a service life of between 50 and 70 years. The new carriers the British and US are building are all predicted to be operation after 50 year. So she was probably built to survive a battering.

Year of hell damage would have require months if not years of repairs without a dry docl. But it was clear from the dialogue in the episode that Voyager apart from a few unbreathable decks, was still functional vessel.

The dialogue states the opposite in the Year of Hell. According to dialogue, Voyager had only very few breathable decks left and was barely functioning at all. Most systems were offline, the entire ship was a complete mess. By the time of the showdown, Voyager was on the verge of simply falling apart.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

As for the damage in the finale, I didn't like the fact that except for a few mods, Voyager was still as unchanged as if they just left Earth. They were out there for 7 years and the ship was barely different. I liked how the Year of Hell gave Voyager this... Equinox appereance.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

This was just one of the show's many problems, to be sure. But of course this is most evident to those of us who watched it all.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the various places they stopped off could furnish them with the supplies necessary to patch hull breaches, even fabricate new shuttles and whatnot. But given that they were nowhere near the supplies native to Federation territory, the ship absolutely should have been a patchwork by the end. But on the outside and in.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I also thought that too...I'm sure that the places that they might have stopped for supplies might also have repair bays for ships....even with their own systems I'm sure their replicators if they had the proper power supplies could produce all the spare parts and all the materials they needed to repair the ship to keep it going.
                  Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    This was just one of the show's many problems, to be sure. But of course this is most evident to those of us who watched it all.
                    Blame the network, not the writers.

Comment

The network was only part of the problem. The godawful writing was the larger part.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        Are you sure you're not talking about "Fury?" In "Deadlock," there were hull breaches, but they were all minor. The hull crisis was about fractures that could lead to multiple small breaches.
                        Did some checking and you're right. It was still an example of them tearing off a huge chunk of hull that is back with no comment next week.

Beyond possible network interference there is a reason for that. Redoing effects shots with damage is expensive especially if all your stock shot are affected and especially with early tv cgi. Even BSG only did occasionally at big events like season openers or midseason two-parters.

But still if they can't follow through they shouldn't write them taking that kind of major damage.

Who's to say they can't rebuild lost shuttlecraft? Clearly they can if they can build the Delta Flyer not once, but twice. Shuttles are warp capable, yes? If they can replace a shuttlecraft warp core, then why was it a big deal when Voyager lost it's warp core not once, but twice? First in "Day of Honor" and again in "Renaissance Man." If they can build shuttlecraft, why not a warp core? Perhaps the urgency in both situations was the ship being dead in space, vulnerable?
                        You mean they built shed loads of shuttlecraft off screen? Yeah, that's plausible. [/sarsasm] And the torpedeos which they made a point of saying were severely limited and irreplaceable in early episodes and ended up shooting off hundreds off them.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

It's a major point of contention with Voyager among many fans. Voyager should have been severely damaged and patched up by the end of the series. But the ship seemed to be in tip-top shape even with upgrades by the end of the series.

I think a handful of episodes where Voyager had to go to some alien spaceport or whatever to get major repairs (or even just remarking about how it happened offscreen) would have been nice.

I mean paint can make even a rusty old POS ship look great. So patch jobs with alien metal can be excused. Alien technology could have been referenced in having good or bad interface issues. Such things like that.

All of that could have been done by script alone and little need for CGI work on the Voyager model.
                          Hi There!

Comment

Ultimately, I think the writers were more interested in telling stories on an episode-by-episode basis. I don't think they cared about this nit-picky stuff.

Comment

I wouldn't say Following through on your entire blinking premise is 'nitpicking stuff'.
                              sigpic
                              Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                              X