Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate has been a wonderful teaching tool for me with my children. I've always taught them to keep an open mind about anyone no matter what their race, color, disabilities, etc. I've also taught them that intelligent life is out there no matter what anyone else says. They found heroes, new ideas, new theories on how to adjust to real life situations.
    One of my children is very musically inclined, and thrived on Joel Goldsmith's pieces in the episodes. They all learned that it doesn't matter who you are, if you put your mind to what you want that you can succeed in any situation. They learned to watch what they say and show respect to any person, no matter how right or wrong they themselves think that person is at the time.
    I loved the acting, the music, the story lines, and everything in general about the shows. I miss the shows but am glad I get to see the people working in a different aspect showing all their talent.

Comment

Me and my wife watch TV series together a lot. When I deployed to Iraq, it seemed we had to take a break from that. On a whim one day I bought a copy of all 10 seasons of SG-1 at the local market in Tallil, Iraq. I'd always seen commercials and I'd heard it was a pretty good show, so I thought why not? I had months to kill. I watched the first few episodes and was hooked. I sent my wife an email suggesting she should try watching this show with me. She watched the first few episodes as well, and was also hooked. From that point until the end of my deployment, we would watch a certain number of episodes a week, and our email traffic and video chat conversations always turned quickly to SG-1. When I got back home, we finished all 10 seasons. My son's first word was "hot" because of the fire from the death glider explosion in the introduction. By the time he was 2, he could name every member of SG-1 by name, as well as General Hammond. From then, we went to Atlantis, and from there we went to SGU. SGU was a little slow at first, but we got sucked in eventually. It was extremely sad to see it go. We went to Dragon Con in 2011, and our first family photo with me, my wife, and my 2 sons was a photo with Amanda Tapping. My youngest son, Ronon Everett, was 9 days old at Dragon Con. I think it's obvious where his first and middle name comes from. Needless to say, Stargate is a huge part of not only my life, but my family's as well.

Comment

I quite literally grew up watching SG-1. It has influenced my education and career decisions, and inspired me to strive harder to make a difference. Although I was not accepted into the Air Force, I am now a member of a civilian, volunteer search and rescue team, and just returned from a humanitarian mission in Cambodia. As a newly graduated nurse, I still look to Sam and Janet as remarkable examples of strong women saving lives and making the world a better place.

Comment

I started watching Stargate 2003. Late bloomer but I fell in love with it instantly. Sam Carter was the biggest influence on me at that time cause I had a dead end job and needed a life style change. Watching the strong female characer led me to go back to college and enrole in a career field that a woman normally wouldn't go onto because of physical strength issues and because you usually get filthy doing it. I went back to school and got a degree in Automotive Technology and Electronics. I now have a good job and I'm having fun doing it but I doubt I would have taken That step without the help of Stargate SG-1.

Comment

Stargate was my first voyage into the realm of science fiction, for which I am eternally grateful. The beauty of science fiction is that it allow us to pierce through trivial details that fog up our daily life and explore deeper metaphysical truths while being thoroughly entertained.

Comment

Stargate is the reason I became interested in Science Fiction. It saved my marriage. I know that sounds weird, but up until I discovered Stargate my husband and I had ABSOLUTELY nothing in common and were finding it difficult to even talk to eachother. When he introduced me to Stargate SG1 things changed. He rewatched SG1 with me and we began talking more. He was then able to introduce me to other Science Fiction shows allowing us to enjoy time together again. I truly believe that it is weren't for Stargate SG1 I would be divorced right now. Instead, I am Happily married to the most amazing man in the world.

Comment

When I heard there was another Star Gate Series coming on, I thought, OK lets get the PVR set up. Don't want to miss it. I watched it, and immedietly fell in love with John Sheppard. Even though the PVR recorded every show, I was right there in my seat, every Friday night at 10pm to watch it. When they had said that the show was coming to an end, I sat and cried with my friend. I thought the people of this show, had become like family.
                In Oct of 2011, I was on Netflix, looking for possible series of shows, that I loved. I watched Fire-Fly, and then SGU, and then I saw..SGA..UHH! I can watch as many episodes as I want, and through out the day too. Well, here it is May 31,2012. And I am in my 3rd run season 4.. episode 8. Once I am done, I will go all the way back to the very beginning, and watch it again. The thing of it is, is these actors, are not just actors any more. They are my family. I love each and everyone. And, it is difficult, to have to go without watching them more then 2 days in a row.
                I love Joe Flanigan, but I also love the rest of them. And it was really hard when Torri Higginson, wasn't going to be a regular any more. I really truly wish, the show hadn't ended when it did. Didn't SG1 last 17+ yrs. Why couldn't SGA?
                I am truly their #1 FAN.

Comment

Stargate has affected my personality and my interests in a very positive way. Going into high school I was a rebellious kid who didn't want to have anything to do with anyone. I wasn't getting good grades, I was acting up in school, and I wasn't a very nice person to be around. Then, I saw a preview for Stargate SG1 and it changed me. After watching some reruns on TV, I was interested in the show and started watching it on Netflix. I started getting my homework done and doing well in school so I would have the opportunity to see the next episode. The show itself was fascinating. I became interested in math and science, seeing the potential that those skills would have. Samantha Carter was excellent, and she got me hooked on science. I took AP Physics my senior year, something I never would have seen my self doing. Daniel Jackson got me interested in history. I was always amazed at how the show writers were able to connect a Sci-Fi Fiction with ancient cultures. My favorite alien culture was the Asgardian race. I am part Swedish so that culture really spoke to me. Again, in my senior year, I did my final project in English on Norse mythology and culture. I really respected Teal'c. The amount of honor and respect he showed to other people encouraged me to be nicer myself. I started helping teachers and students with their technology, and I became well known around my campus as someone who you could call to get your projectors and computers working. I even won a scholarship (LUSD Administrator's Association Scholarship Award $400). It wasn't the amount that made me proud. It was the fact that they thought I was a really good kid and awarded me for my effort. Colonial Jack O'Neil was my biggest influence. He was able the walk the thin line without ever going over, and he always had the best character and morals. I saw how much Stargate command respected his rank, and I was inspired to be a good leader. My parents wanted me to do an extracurricular activity so I chose the theatre. I was never quite brave enough to try out for a production, but I found my calling in the technical aspect of the show: lights, sounds, set building, etc. I started out by running the light board, and by senior year, I was the stage manager. I was so happy to be in charge of a team like O'Neil. I tried my best to be a good leader, and I followed using him as a character guide. I was able to effectively communicate and lead my team. (I didn't cut people off when I didn't understand what they were saying, though. That aspect of him always made me laugh.) I was even able to graduate as an Honor Thespian. I am happy I started watching this show. It really made a positive difference in my life; without it, I'm not sure I would even be in college. I used to think that gangsters were cool and all, but after watching races like the Goa'uld destroy people's lives, I was appalled, and now I don't hang out with some of my shadier friends anymore. They just aren't cool. I just want to thank all the people involved with the making of Stargate. It was a show that literally changed my life. The show taught me good lessons that will guide the rest of my life. l loved it, and now it is a part of me.

Comment

Stargate has affected my life in so many ways that I really couldn't describe them all in a simple thread such as this, so I'll just describe my favorite. I was dating a girl in college who I really liked. My ultimate dream woman was someone who enjoyed scifi as much as me and while she was open to it she never really go into scifi. One day I asked if she wanted to try to get into Stargate. She started and became immediately hooked. Eventually she watched it more fervently than even I did and once she got caught up we were able to watch new episodes together every week. That woman is now my wife and we still quote Stargate and watch episodes together. Stargate helped bring us together and helped open her up to the new world of great scifi.

Comment

Stargate is why I went to film school, why I got a job in FILM/TV production, and why I’m pissed that I missed the boat to work with any of the awesome casts on any of the awesome productions they made over the years. Without Stargate I’d probably still be trying to figure out what kind of creative job I wanted to pursue.

Comment

My dad and I started watching SG-1 together, and from there I got many of my friends hooked. Watching, rewatching, and talking about episodes has been a great addition to our relationships over the years.

Comment

Stargate has kept me grounded through my bout with depression. The episode with the armbands when Jack and Sam are seperated by the force field; I have used that scene to keep anything that would bring down off me. Nothing can get through and I hope only the good stuff finds me.

Comment

I have watched every episode of each of the Stargate series numerous times. I have always been a sci-fi geek and Stargate has been a major part of my life since its very first episode back on Showtime. That was the ONLY reason I subscribed to Showtime was to watch Stargate. The Stargate realm helps people remember that even when it looks like all is lost, there is still hope. The losses of Stargate become personal to the fans. The loss of the shows, the loss of the characters, the loss of the storyline. We want more, and even though we know that is not possible, it would still be nice to have closure. "Daniel, dial the gate!"

Comment

I'm a bit of a Stargate newbie you could say. However, I have been going through this series full blast. I had watched the original Stargate movie as a child and did not watch SG-1 when it was on the air. However, I watched SGU and liked it and wanted to get back to SG-1. My girlfriend and I have been watching SG-1/Atlantis in order and we are up too S10/S3 at the moment and love every minute. She had mentioned she would love to go to one of these conventions and I just happened to check out the site in the past to see what order to watch the shows in. I log in today and see this amazing opportunity and had to seize it! We have grown closer in our Netflix SG nights and she even got a Stargate tattoo! Good luck to everyone, but I hope we win!

Comment

How did SG affect my life? Easy: I spent an entire year of my life incepting Atlantis to rescue Dr. Weir from Limbo. That's right, check it out:

www.youtube.com/user/metatr2n

So what other fan do you know who was passionate enough to spend his time resucing a fictional character from creative Limbo? None, that's how many. I deserve these tickets! Even if you hate my series, come on- look at what I've created here. If there is any justice in the universe those tickets are mine!

But in all fun-ness, good luck to everyone; even if I don't get the tickets, rescuing Dr. Weir was reward enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X