Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are scientists always the ones building & reverse-engineering technology?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why are scientists always the ones building & reverse-engineering technology?

you know as oppose to ENGINEERS?

You don't know the scientists aren't also engineers.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
      You don't know the scientists aren't also engineers.
      if McKay, Carter, Rush, Volker and Zelenka where all also enginers you'd think it would have been stated at some point over the 15 years

Comment

Thats easy. Its cheaper for McKay or Carter to create advanced technology then to hire an actor to serve solely as an engineer. Simliar to why Carter always doubled as Fraiser's nurse
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Scientist study the alien technology and have more knowledge in the fancy energy particles and materials where a random engineer wouldn't have a clue.

Comment

Brody is an engineer on SGU. He has done a lot of building, repair and such. Most importantly he built a still.
            sigpic

Comment

Perhaps engineers are not allowed to be a part of the Stargate program...
              sigpic

Comment

Slimjim raises a fair point though and I wish Brody had been given more screentime. Scientists develop theories, engineers put those theories into practice. That said, the scientists in the SG program did more reverse engineering (why and how does this alien device work?) than anything else. Perhaps that's why they got away with having scientists rather than engineers most of the time.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, remember that a lot of the alien technology was based on alien scientific concepts that were unknown on Earth. You generally need scientists to figure out the science part. Engineers take science and apply it to get technology, but it all starts with getting a grasp on the scientific concepts first.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Didnt Mckay state once that he had a degree in engineering?
                    edit: yup, a degree in mechanical engineering
                    Last edited by pookey; 29 May 2012, 11:49 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Brody's best scene was when he was frozen in the pod.
                      Should've shown more Franklin though...
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The simple answer is that the writers have no idea what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          The simple answer is that the writers have no idea what the difference is.
                          SNORT!!!

Agreed
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                            you know as oppose to ENGINEERS?
                            Clearly most scientists are dual-classed to engineers. It's not like they're short on EXP to achieve such a feat.
                            Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Carter probably took engineering in the Academy as well, just specialized in theoretical astrophysics for her PhD. It's never been mentioned what her bachelor(s) and or master(s) exactly are. Considering she wanted to be an astronaut and perhaps apply for the position as an Air Force nominee then it's very likely she would have some kind of engineering degree.

Dr Lee seems to be capable of anything, from reverse-engineering to botany so clearly he's a genius with multiple degrees as well.

And let's not forget that a lot of artifacts and technology were actually sent to Area 51 after they had been examined by the scientists (for the science part) at the SGC. As a matter of fact, I don't recall Carter actually coming up with something she reverse-engineered all by herself. A lot of technology she simply explained, or worked on but most likely with other scientists as well or created it by collaborating with the Tok'ra (like the weapon against the Kull Warriors).

In Red Sky SG-6 was sent to K'tau to build the rocket and it's possible one or more of its members were actually some kind of engineers.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X