• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackwater (209)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON TWO
    BLACKWATER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 209
    Stannis' fleet lays siege to King's Landing, despite the guarantee of huge losses on both sides. Tyrion attempts to keep the king at the head of his army while orchestrating the defense of the city, and Cersei torments Sansa with the dire reality that may soon befall them all.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 28 May 2012, 02:13 PM.

Fairly epic battle scenes. Was that Stannis that breached the wall and was captured? Was fairly dark, so I wasn't entirely sure. Poor Tyrion. My wife was freaking out thinking he's dead. He's her favorite character in the series.

Comment

Brilliant episode! Fire and Blood was my favorite episode for season 1. Blackwater will likely be my favorite episode of season 2. Even I knew what was coming through the books, the episode didn't disappoint me at all.

The ominous opening, with Stannis' fleet veiled in the marine layer, was magnificent, as was Davos' order to beat the war drums. I loved his line, "Lord Varys knows what you had for breakfast three days ago. There are no surprises."

The Wildfire explosion... my goodness that was spectacular. Definitely sent chills down my spine. I can't help but wonder though. If Melisandre had been there, would she have been able to some how use the Wildfire to her advantage, being a fire priestess?

I once read George R.R. Martin describe Tyrion as a "sympathetic villain." Though I really wanted Stannis to overrun King's Landing, I couldn't help but cheer for Tyrion too. It's one of the very rare cases where I genuinely liked people on both sides of a battle.

A drunk Cersei... ah, a preview of things to come. I loved her speech about Tywin's attitude towards the Gods.

I have to hand it to Stannis. He's a true fighter, and as fierce as they come. It was great to see him in combat. He's definitely not like Joffrey or others who are pretty much cowards who are used to having other people doing their fighting for them. He's as ferocious in the episode as I had pictured in my mind. He definitely lives by his family's motto of "Ours is the Fury." Fury also happens to be the name of Stannis' flagship. I was unsure about Stephen Dillane's performance at the beginning of the season but he's grown on me.

The fighting was bloody and intense, which was what we sorely needed as we didn't see the Battle of the Green Fork last season.

I loved the soundtrack. I greatly look forward to the season 2 soundtrack release on June 19!

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
      Fairly epic battle scenes. Was that Stannis that breached the wall and was captured? Was fairly dark, so I wasn't entirely sure. Poor Tyrion. My wife was freaking out thinking he's dead. He's her favorite character in the series.
      That was Stannis' own men pulling him away so he could retreat with the rest of the troops.
      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 27 May 2012, 09:24 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        That was Stannis' own men pulling him away so he could retreat with the rest of the troops.
        Ah, good. I was wondering if I had forgotten something, or they were making a HUGE deviation from the books.

Comment

I really hope Tyrion pulls through, but it doesnt look like it though. I was hoping to see Joffrey try to pull 'hearteater' on someone.

This may have been the best episode so far.
          sigpic
          Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Well...That was disappointing. I was hoping to see Joffrey's head on a spear. I guess that was asking too much.

Hope Tyrion isn't dead. That fracking Kingsguard...What was up with that?

And I definitely didn't see Loras forming an alliance with Tywin. That was quite unexpected.
            sigpic

Comment

I was expecting non-book readers will be shocked
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                Well...That was disappointing. I was hoping to see Joffrey's head on a spear. I guess that was asking too much.
                I knew coming into the episode that Joffrey would survive. Joffrey's ultimate fate is more... satisfying in a way, I feel, than Stannis and his troops taking the city and mounting his head on a spike. If Stannis had taken King's Landing though, books 3-5 in the series would be vastly different.

Hope Tyrion isn't dead. That fracking Kingsguard...What was up with that?

And I definitely didn't see Loras forming an alliance with Tywin. That was quite unexpected.
                I believe the Kingsguard in question was Ser Mandon. Here's the sequence of events from Mandon's perspective:
                • Mandon meets with Cersei about the thieves stealing some food and a horse to escape the city.
                • Cersei orders Mandon to put their heads on spikes as an example to others.
                • Mandon is on the battlements with Tyrion & company. Joffrey returns to the Red Keep, order Mandon and Boros to represent the King on the field.
                • Mandon tries to kill Tyrion on the battlefield.

The reason Mandon tried to kill Tyrion can be inferred from this sequence of events.

As for the Lannister/Tyrell alliance, this was alluded to with Littlefinger's meeting with Tywin at Harrenhal. Suggesting such an alliance had its origins with Renly's death, especially with how Loras wanted to put a sword through Stannis.
                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 28 May 2012, 01:14 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

F****** yeah! Epic explosion, epic Tyrion in battle, epic epicness.

Twas awesome. I am assuming Sansa actually left with the hound? Didnt expect him to be afraid of fire, but its understandable.

I liked it when they all started cheering Tyrion. And also the drunk Cersei. Hope the onion knight is still alive.

This perfectly coherent post was brought to you by Ukko.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hound's fear of fire is a plot point. Hard for MR BadAss to deal wtih running like a baby.

Melisandre being there would have been interesting....would she have really been able to control anything? Or would she have been revealed a fraud?

and yeah, love the irony of Mr. 'the red god will help me' falling to fire.

Next week's will be interesting. It'll be intriguing to see how far they get with the plot.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well that was epic and awesome, and awesome and epic. And while those words are overused I think this episode genuinely qualifies. It was an incredible episodes, in terms of scale, of acting and simply jaw dropping moments.

The wildfire explosion, Tywin's cavalry charge, Tyrion's speech at the gate, these were genuinely jaw dropping moments. On the bad side of things, I think this has ruined any other tv shows attempts to do battle scenes. The Borgias had quite a good battle last week, yet compared to this it actually looks rather cheap. The scale outdid many films.

Any the non action parts, especially Cersei and her drunken rants were excellent, Lena Headly gave a brilliant performance.

And so many quotable lines. **** the kingsguard, **** the city, **** the king! But I think my favourite line has to be The Hounds little pre battle speech to his men, "any man dies with a clean sword I'll rape his ****ing corpse." I think that shall be my new motto.

Comment

yeah that explosion was badass

wish they had used the chain too, but this sufficed just as well

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                          I knew coming into the episode that Joffrey would survive. Joffrey's ultimate fate is more... satisfying in a way, I feel, than Stannis and his troops taking the city and mounting his head on a spike. If Stannis had taken King's Landing though, books 3-5 in the series would be vastly different.

I believe the Kingsguard in question was Ser Mandon. Here's the sequence of events from Mandon's perspective:
                          • Mandon meets with Cersei about the thieves stealing some food and a horse to escape the city.
                          • Cersei orders Mandon to put their heads on spikes as an example to others.
                          • Mandon is on the battlements with Tyrion & company. Joffrey returns to the Red Keep, order Mandon and Boros to represent the King on the field.
                          • Mandon tries to kill Tyrion on the battlefield.

The reason Mandon tried to kill Tyrion can be inferred from this sequence of events.

As for the Lannister/Tyrell alliance, this was alluded to with Littlefinger's meeting with Tywin at Harrenhal. Suggesting such an alliance had its origins with Renly's death, especially with how Loras wanted to put a sword through Stannis.
                          I still forgot about the Littlefinger/Tywin exchange...Ah well, made for a nice little surprise.

My favorite part had to be Sandor refusing to fight anymore. The look on Joffrey's face was priceless. Makes me wonder if that had a hand in Joffrey leaving the battle.

And jeez, Tyrion would make a better freaking king than Joffrey. What a little coward.

I have to say as well, the battle was QUITE bloody.
                          sigpic

Comment

Joffrey is simply a coward. He would have left anyway
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah, JOff is a coward that hides behind being a bully
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X