• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prince of Winterfell (208)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON TWO
    THE PRINCE OF WINTERFELL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 208
    As war creeps inevitably closer to King's Landing, the city prepares for siege. Arya calls in a debt when she realizes she must flee Harrenhal, and Robb is betrayed by someone close to him. Theon doesn't receive the expected response when his sister visits Winterfell, and Tyrion fears that his secret love has been discovered by his vindictive sister.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 21 May 2012, 02:15 PM.

Interesting episode. It definitely had the feel of being a setup episode for Blackwater.

Theon just does not get it. An achievement like taking Winterfell might've met with praise with certain Westerosi lords, but not the Ironborn. His family will never accept him, no matter what he does... and he just doesn't get that.

Grenn finding the obsidian daggers and the horn was a good choice. It made sense to play out the discovery with him and Sam since Ghost is off... being Ghost. I love that Rattleshirt really did rattle.

I loved Tywin's parting instructions to Arya: "See that he doesn't get drunk in the evenings. He's poor company when he's sober, but he's better at his work."

Tyrion was excellent as always. I wondered how he would react upon seeing Ros. When he played along, promised Ros he would free her and then swore revenge upon Cersei, I smiled. His scenes with Varys were very well-handled, especially with the dialogue outdoors. I do like that Varys and Tyrion are at least aware Dany is alive and well but so far away that she might as well be dead. Varys was correct though that when her dragons are grown, things will get quite interesting for Westeros.

Speaking of Dany, though her scene with Jorah was quite short, the dialogue was wonderful, especially with Jorah. I'm anxious to see how her thread will play out, though I doubt we'll get a scene with Dany next week. Why? I think Blackwater will take up most of the time next week.

I love the building suspense in the scene with Stannis and Davos. I could sense the tension of being on the eve of an immense battle. I love that it was done displayed through Stannis recounting how Storm's End was given to Renly. You really get a sense for who Stannis is with his story: He felt insulted that Robert gave Storm's End to Renly but he obeyed his older brother and king. I can imagine that kind of bitterness that would foster in someone. And now, as he's rightful king, he won't be denied by anyone anymore.

The previews for Blackwater were impressive! Good timing with Memorial Day weekend next week.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 20 May 2012, 10:22 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I too got a 'set up' feel. Putting pieces in place for what's to come.

I think the biggest 'gobsmack' moment, for those that hadn't read the books anyway, was the reveal that bran and rickon were still alive.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        I too got a 'set up' feel. Putting pieces in place for what's to come.

I think the biggest 'gobsmack' moment, for those that hadn't read the books anyway, was the reveal that bran and rickon were still alive.
        I haven't read the books and I knew they were still alive.

I figured it would have been given a lot more attention if it was actually them.
        sigpic

Comment

Well I finally got to watch the epsidoe last night, after being pretty busy ofr the last few days.

It was pretty much a set up episode, all the pieces and players being moved into place for the last couple of eps. It was still pretty enjoyable, I found in particular a lot of the dialogue to be very numerous. I especially loved Stannis description of eating animals, something about the way the actor delivered it, just made me giggle. "I liked dogs, but we ate them anyway." Tyrion and Varys conversation on the wall was also a highlight.

I'm sad we didn't get to see Weasel soup at Harrenhal, but the bit with Arya walking out the gate and the dead guards was still incredibly cool. Tyrion and Bronn as well had a nice scene, like an old married couple.

So the episode was set up, especially for next week (which looks mega uber epic) but still the show was impressive. It looks great, loved having the Red Keep in the background with Tyrion and Varys. The Iceland scenes were beautiful as usual as well, and it was cool they included Rattleshirt. Great costume design! Robb's scenes were good as well, the actor who plays him, Richard Madden, and Oona Chaplin have good chemistry.

My only quibble with the episode was Dany's short scene. It was just a rehash, "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS!!!," they should have left her story line alone for a week and picked up again when she reaches the house of the Undying.

Still a good, if slow ep, and I am eagerly awaiting the next ep.

And on a slightly random and related note, after I had watched my recording of Game of Thrones, I tuned in to watch Sky Atlantic's (the UK channel that broadcast Game of Thrones) new drama Hit and Miss, about a transsexual hitman who goes to find her family on a remote farm (It's kind of complicated). Anyway Ben Crompton who plays Dolourus Edd it in it. I think he plays some kind of local villager, but anyway the only scene he's appeared so far is a rather random scene where he goes to the farm in the dark and steals food from the remains of the barbeque. Since I had just finished watching Game of Thrones and he's sporting the same hairstyle and beard as his Game of Thrones character, I choose to believe that Dolourus Edd got tired of the Fist of the First Men and decided to sack it in and go for some bbq.

Comment

I just got caught up with this late last week, and finally watched Sunday's(this) ep today.

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the Arya scenes(particularly the one with Jaquen). I also really liked Dany's scene with Jorah, and Theon's scene with his sister.

Overall, I've been enjoying this season more than the first one(and I really loved season 1). I think this season is better paced, it seems to flow better(it doesn't feel as choppy as the first season sometimes did imo), and that it does a better job of developing all the characters. I feel there is a better balance regarding screen time for all the characters(it doesn't feel like there is one main character with a large supporting cast, and thats how it sould be, imo).

I'm kinda sad that there are only two more episodes left this season, and then we have to wait a year for more. The last two episodes of the season will almost definitely be great though, so I'm really looking forward to watching them.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              I'm kinda sad that there are only two more episodes left this season, and then we have to wait a year for more. The last two episodes of the season will almost definitely be great though, so I'm really looking forward to watching them.
              Indeed. a lot of the episodes have been building up to these last two, this one in particluar. These last two episodes should be action packed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                I haven't read the books and I knew they were still alive.

I figured it would have been given a lot more attention if it was actually them.
                Yeah, I have to say that for me too, it was clear that Theon was faking it, even without reading the books. It just seemed like the kind of thing he would do.
                sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Raw_Deal View Post
                  Yeah, I have to say that for me too, it was clear that Theon was faking it, even without reading the books. It just seemed like the kind of thing he would do.
                  I think the tptb realised that they could never totally sell that the boys were apparently dead. TV audiences know that unless you see a death on screen something is up. I think they created doubt in people's minds, the non book readers who I know watching the show were unsure as to what happened. They didn't think it was just as simple as Bran and Rickon being dead, but they were a little unsure as what happened, especially as to where they were hiding. I think that was the real reveal, and certainly again with the non book readers watching the show again, that was the real surprise for them, that they had gone back to Winterfell and were hiding in the crypts.

Comment

The one unclear thing - or at least to some - is the why. Did Theon 'spare' Bran and Rickon out of fondness and 'growing up together' or did he do it because he couldn't kill them, but needed to look like he had to impress his family.

Was it a move of caring or a move of calculated manipulation?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      The one unclear thing - or at least to some - is the why. Did Theon 'spare' Bran and Rickon out of fondness and 'growing up together' or did he do it because he couldn't kill them, but needed to look like he had to impress his family.

Was it a move of caring or a move of calculated manipulation?
                      It was a move of "oh crap I can't find them, so I better do something to cover my mistake."

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        It was a move of "oh crap I can't find them, so I better do something to cover my mistake."
                        That is definitely how I saw it.
                        sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                        - R.E.M.

Comment

WHen I read the book I kinda thought 'kindness of his heart', but yeah, after seeing the 'earning respect of my peers' angle I think it's more that.

sigpic

Comment

The two things about Theon worth remembering is that he is constantly seeking respect, and that he is a complete tool. So when he lost Bran and Rickon, he realised that in order to not lose any respect he had to do something to cover it up. Of course being an idiot, he failed to realise that even Ironborn think burning kids is a little over the line.

Comment

Yeah, that whole honor thing...usually you leave the kids and women out of battles.

IMHO, he could have accomplished the same thing by simply beating, damaging their bodies to hide their identities. But Theon seems to lack the ability to think ahead, he's very impetuous.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X