Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex and Drugs
    Spoiler:
    The world of Revolution may be poorly conceived but at least it has one thing going for it, the shady underground filled with drug lords and shady people which is what this episode aims to exploit.

To be honest the best part of the episode is the revelation of the fact that there are people out there who can grow drugs and have some idea on how medicine works. For much of the show we have seen a world were people seem incapable of building stuff with their bare hands and even stuff like printing presses and steam powered machines are rare; the intention was to create a sort of world where it's tossed over it's ear but common logic dictates that there should of been people who knew how to make stuff without the need of automation or electricity, these types of things have been established since the dawn of time, heck many of the worlds famous buildings were made without the modern tools of the day and to me that just makes the world seemingly unrealistic and ignorant. (Are the books which describe this thrown out, do the electrical distractions make us forgo past methods?)

To see this type of stuff is amazing because it shows that there are people out there who are willing to do this stuff, who know how to do this stuff. A doctor who knows the methods and uses the tools of back then, who knows how to grow his own stuff by scratch, it's one of the aspects that make the world much more than what it is; and the person playing him is good, he may have some of that mob boss mentality in him but he's snarky, he's determined and he's got a good energy to him. He's one of the guys who even though is designed to be disliked from the getgo, you can't help to like; he's got skill, he's got a business going on and he's even got struggles of his own. It is a real shame that he's killed at the end, it's good in terms of the plot but it's bad because it shows that the intelligent people who know how to do this stuff always die at the hands of the lesser people.

The wonders of medicine.

What happens in this episode furthers that notion; this episode seems to be trying to give us a platform for our characters. We got a drug lord who doesn't care much for our heroes, Nora in a situation of life & death and Charlie in the usual position and while this may seem perfect, what happens contradict this; they insist many things, that the drug lord is abusing the woman, that the rival gang is innocent, that there's a gang war going on and that's it, everything is insistence. How are we to know if he's actually abusing the woman, we don't see anything in their body language to insist abuse, his tone doesn't tell us anything and the only sign is when he slaps Charlie (which had the opposite intended effect for me.) which doesn't even mean anything in the long run and the irish gang; they keep pushing that they're innocent, showing us things like a son, a history as a police officer, a humbleness from the guy himself, even our heroes themselves push that they're killing innocents but they barely show us anything that even enforces that innocence.

This raises the question, are we supposed to believe in what we're told despite the insufficient information, are we supposed to take the minor hints and form them into our own possible conclusions. Without anything established or any real reason for why the two are fighting, the conflict feels hollow and this spreads to our characters; especially Charlie who seems more "righteous" than ever. She seems to be trying to gain an audience for herself, showing us the stuff like tearing up her photos, having her assassinate someone while being uncertain about it but every word that she says, every action that she does, every emotion that she tries to show is forced and we know that you're trying to create an innocent character that's thrust into the world of darkness even though she doesn't want to do it but you know what'll convince me, making a better character.

Miles and Aaron show the objectionable side, which is reasonable given that someone has to stop Charlie from doing something. Miles care for her sister is admirable but it's inconsistent with the way he's been treated and the way he's treating her; It makes me wonder what he's thinking about when he's saving her, why he's even doing it in the first place; if two family members act as if they're aren't family then it dilutes the bond and makes his actions worth less, there is some hint of his dark side that rectifies some of his flaws but it just pushes towards the obvious assumption. Aaron does seem like he's better at being emotive; there seems to be a plot in proving his worth, tagging along trying to seem contributive; who wouldn't blame him?

And the flashbacks reflect this as well; seeming caring, trying his best to survive, wanting to at least something to his wife. It's nice to know that he doesn't want to be seen as empty but the problem is not with the acting or the story, but with the character itself. Geeks on this show are somewhat stereotypical, they focus on new technology neglecting the old and they're obviously weak and unable to do the simplest things; it didn't come to them that he might have knowledge of how machines work and that knowledge would of been worth a lot in the world, electricity being gone doesn't mean that the knowledge is worthless, if only the creators can just realize that... He does hatch a plan to kill a guy but to me it just seems like a menial thing, one to make him happy; I'm not doubting his actions but the intention is for him to find something to make him worthwhile and that comes with purpose.

The contrast of murder.

It's nice to see some of the world and some of the characters are good but the main problem is with the premise which has a ton of holes which makes the whole thing unappealing. There is a lack of common ground, we're forced to draw our own perspective on what's going on and those conflicting perspectives get in the way of the characters. With some grounding of what's happening, we might be able to connect with the characters more but since everything is uncertain, it creates a murky area that brings the episode down thereby ruining it's good intentions. This ultimately turned out to be insubstantial as a whole.

2.5/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
      just finally watched this past week's episode.
      once again charlie is terrible. such a flip-flopper. in the beginning of the episode she is all omg we're all gonna die, then she's all like gimme the pointy thing i'll stab the guy!
      I don't think that Charlie is that bad, a bit whinny, I agree but that's the character in my opinion. I also don't think that she is a flip-flopper...that it's more of an attempt to show character growth from her. In the begining, she had her whole life turned upside down, her father was killed, her brother was kidnapped and she found out that her uncle is alive and she has to go to him to save her brother. She goes on this journey that she's not equiped to handle emotionally and has to learn how to deal with everything very quickly. That can make people short-tempered and angry.

She only agreed to stab the guy to save everyone else and they showed that it was not easy for her. That's not a flip-flop, that's showing that she is facing a challenge and has to deal with it. Part of me thinks that it was a scene to show us that she has the potiental to turn into someone like her uncle.

Originally posted by Morbo
      i think aaron is the best character by far. slick moves too.
      I like Aaron too. He's definitley full of surprised and that last move he did was risky and definitely not something I expected from him.

Originally posted by Morbo
      all i know is they are running out of time to keep me interested. nothing is happening.
      its the same thing every week: walk. find something/someone. escape narrowly from that something/someone.
      repeat.
      Hopefully now that the son and met his mom, that might change a bit.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Well this weeks ep was full of surprises..
        Monroe has located one of the 12 who supposedly had the pendants.. and has his daughter (though why the mother of charlie would NOT think Monroe would do something like that is beyond me).
        The black out may have been caused cause the pendants were designed to create power, but worked in reverse, and the DOD was very interested... And were going to bank roll ben and co.. the chick from an earlier ep (the black one who had another pendant was one of the researchers with ben).

Comment

I really liked this week's episode,
          Spoiler:
          even though the colony of kids thing has been done a lot of times before. I loved Aaron in this and his comments: "they're like a packs of hairless Ewoks"(or something like that); I found that funny
          I liked Rachel and I found the flashbacks interesting. I'm really starting to hate Neville(in a good way); he seems like such a suck up.
          I liked Miles a lot in this episode too. I liked that he agreed with Charlie, and that he wanted to go after the kid. I thought his guilt was played well.
          Charlie was also pretty good in this episode.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it was definitley better than last week but that was not hard actually, it can only go up. I really loved that idea of the show but it doesn't look like it is living up to its potential. we will see though what S01 has got in store for us.

Where are the new shows like Supernatural, Buffy, Lost, Fringe.. ? Nowadays it looks like shows are not that original..(?) anymore.. I don't it seems that they took more take in story lines in the good old days than after the 05 shows.. but oh well, we will see.
            sigpic

Comment

well - i am in the middle of the latest (Season 1 episode 7) and after seeing the DOD-Guy and them switching of stuff with their tech-stuff, i once again think that monroe is right in what he is doing (also he does it for the wrong reasons) as i would do anything to get the power back on, too - and anyone trying to shut the power of on a global scale, is an enemy of mine (and an enemy of humanity as a whole...high treason is too good for a person like that!), simple as that (someone planing something like that should be sent to some island without any power to live his dream - alone, without endangering other people and civilisation as a whole!

greetings LAX
              ps: will watch the rest now

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                well - i am in the middle of the latest (Season 1 episode 7) and after seeing the DOD-Guy and them switching of stuff with their tech-stuff, i once again think that monroe is right in what he is doing (also he does it for the wrong reasons) as i would do anything to get the power back on, too - and anyone trying to shut the power of on a global scale, is an enemy of mine (and an enemy of humanity as a whole...high treason is too good for a person like that!), simple as that (someone planing something like that should be sent to some island without any power to live his dream - alone, without endangering other people and civilisation as a whole!

greetings LAX
                ps: will watch the rest now
                How do we know it was Randall?

Also the pendents didn't cause the blackout. See Ben downloaded something to his pendent right before it started. So the pendents were what Ben and Co. intended initially, but wind up creating the opposite. It wasn't until they were backed by the DOD that they created the pendents.

Comment

I recommend that anyone that wants to see the actress behind Charlie in another project, just go look up Mortal Kombat: Legacy on Youtube. She starts showing up in episode 6 of the 9 episodes.

I really like her in this. Plus there's Seven-of-Nine, Spawn, a vet from Battlestar Galactia, and a soldier from Falling Skies in it.

Comment

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows, I love where they are going with it.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Children's Crusade
                      Spoiler:
                      A band of children in sci-fi is nothing new, just not long ago Stargate Atlantis did the same thing with "Childhood's End". I have a feeling that episode is better than this one.

So what's different here than in SGA? Well the children are more serious this time around and they have a darker backstory. They walk like the big boys taking about their lives, imposing a serious threat and actually knowing the stakes when it comes to the Militia; it's like they're hardened by the world and their story, well it's one that reflects the themes of the show and makes you care for them, it's really, really sad. The human nature of this world... They may seem serious but the problem is that they don't show much of what makes a kid a kid; SGA's portrayal may have been similar but at least they realized that a kid is going to be immature and rough that's what makes it believable, the fact that a kid would paint stuff over their faces, run around, talk to adults as if they knew them and the teens having a slight sense of understanding about their positions.

This just seems oddly bland and boring as if TPTB are using the children as sort of a contrast (kids playing adult roles) rather than as something truly representative of the world. Children playing adults is fine but they have to do more than just play adults, which they did not do here. Additionally, they try to bring some sort of morality by insisting that they're just children but the insistence does not work here; we get that they have their lives ahead of them, we get that they're young but it is what's shown that dilutes that. The crew is the most skilled in fighting and using weaponry and yet they get surrounded by a bunch of guys with arrows, granted what we've seen about the militia is appreciable but if these 4 guys are able to take out a bunch of milita with just their swords and crossbow guns, what's to say they can't do it themselves? The whole "they're just children" thing gets old without any real reasoning.

Well... They're cute.

Which brings me to my next point; the threats here is really understated. Take for instance the ship which serves as a sort of "Galactic Empire Training Facility", they try to make it as an impenetrable fortress of which there is no escape but we barely see anything that resembles it; we see guys guarding it sure, we see men but what makes that different from what we've seen before (according to their instances), adding to that is the fact that we've seen them constantly get out of impossible situations before in the 7 episodes which have aired so there was no doubt in my mind that they would escape; It would of been better had they played up the threat but... I will say that it's nice to see more of the inner workings of the Monroe Republic; it's interesting to see how the soldiers of the world come to be, the way they train their soldiers, the speeches, the branding process, those scenes will ultimately grow the Monroe Republic despite the genericism in the dark and brooding elements.

The ship also unfortunately takes presidance to a plot regarding Charlie and her attempts to save a brother of the kids; the inconsistencies and dominance are more evident here, whenever Charlie speaks, Miles acts like her lap dog and apparently Charlie is the master of acting weak when she wants to and then kicking ass when she can, and this is supposed to be a character who's had no Militia fighting experience. The actual attempts to save her are competent enough and this contains some of the best Charlie scenes to date, the one where she gets knocked out and the one where she gets branded with the symbol which shows that she can at least scream properly (the other stuff was bleh.) and those things may play out in the future but I fear that Charlie's non-acting and inability to emotion will ruin any attempt to develop what could be defining thing in her character.

The most notable thing in this episode has to be the revelation with the pendents. Finally, Revolution is pushing itself to a plot which may seem interesting (even though they had to force it); we get to see flashbacks regarding the pendent (which shows how it all began but neglects to mention how they did it scientifically because nothing they can come up with will sound logistically possible, same goes to how it'll be used as a weapon.), we get to see Monroe looking for the pendents and we also get to see for the first time, Grace setting up what should be an exciting arc for the series. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get as much as the pendents as the NBC promo promised us but at least we did get a bit of Rachel who manages to show her acting chops and advance herself to the top 5 of best Revolution characters.

She shows a bit of a sensible caring mother when talking to Danny, providing a sense of warmth combined with a sense of awkwardness, she shows a sense of compassion when dealing with Monroe and other characters, trying to appeal to their better senses, trying to be earnest and best of all, she can definitely react in pain and shock whenever faced with something terrifying and it spreads to her flashbacks as well; there is a sense of irony portrayed in her pregnancy, the technology, the complications, it's like they're telling us that this one son would be the resulting cause of the blackout. It's understandable, you'd do anything to save your son even if it's against the generic "they might use it as a weapon" thing and life is the most important thing of all right? Rachel invites us into her world, makes us care for her story and she'll prove to be interesting in later episodes.

Ben and Rachel, side by side.

In the end though, while this pushes the show forward; it's ultimately another episode with Charlie and the crew getting into another predicament and some special grab to hook the audience. This could of been a fun, easygoing episode but the powers didn't see the fun in children or the attempt to make a dynamic world; instead giving us a serious, twisted world that is slowly becoming boring and dull... This makes "Childhood's End" look good; sure it may be silly but at least they were aware of what children were.

3.5/10
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

I'm wondering if cause of that 'fetal issue' (the whole only having the one tube vice 2) is why danny has Asthma.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          I'm wondering if cause of that 'fetal issue' (the whole only having the one tube vice 2) is why danny has Asthma.
                          Not unless the heart is what causes asthma.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            Not unless the heart is what causes asthma.
                            If I recall the doctor said the plumonary arteries which do go to the lungs which does cause asthma
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows, I love where they are going with it.
                              Mine too...I just hope NBC doesn't screw it up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Its not going anywhere with the ratings its getting
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X