No announcement yet.

Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the one good thing about this episode was Aarons development, that was a nice touch that he just wasn't only a comic relief but gets a proper characterization ! I liked that other than that yeah last episode was kind of better.. why are people *****ing about this show and still watch it? If I dont like a show anymore I just stop watching !
    sigpic

Comment

I thought last night's episode was ok. I did like it, but I thought the other episodes were better. I liked Aaron's backstory, the parts with Neville, Monroe, and Jason, and towards the end with Danny and his mother. I'm looking forward to next week's episode.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
        the one good thing about this episode was Aarons development, that was a nice touch that he just wasn't only a comic relief but gets a proper characterization ! I liked that other than that yeah last episode was kind of better.. why are people *****ing about this show and still watch it? If I dont like a show anymore I just stop watching !
        Some enjoy the complaining almost more than watching a show.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Ya think!
          Sometimes i wonder why they bother myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally View Post
            Try watching the show, and then come back to give your opinion. The way you fumble the names of major characters suggest you've not watched the same show that I have.
            I watched the show, If you read the review you'll note various scenes that happened in the episode and the characteristics themselves. I may fumble on major character names but that doesn't mean I'm watching a different show. I'm paying attention, I'm giving the show a fair chance.
            Back from the grave.

Comment

I watched the recent Episodes to find out if this thing is worth waiting till they have released more Episodes. Turns out a Car accident is more interresting to watch.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                well i just watched the latest episode and IMHO it is the worst one yet (!)

what i hated most though was the son (Danny) just hugging his "dead" mother instead of questioning her first or telling her of for leaving (i sure would have...sorry, maybe i am just emotionally "dead" but forgiveness is something to be earned for me and not granted just because it is possible - even more so in a situation i would feel betrayed/stabbed in the back (like a relative i thought dead turning up alive))

the rest of the episode was so "filler" like, because the main story did not advance much...i mean nothing really important happened, like monroe getting one of those pendants or some other person having one showing up etc.

well, hope next episode is better.

greetings LAX
                He wasn't forgiving her. His been held captive and sees everyone around him as enemies. Then he sees his mother and sure he has questions, but it is more likely for him to just cave in and be comforted by his closet family member.

He has no idea what she was doing for all these years. For all he knows she has been held captive as well. He just wants some relief. And so the next episode or so will have him asking questions more likely.

Comment

No Quarter
                  Spoiler:
                  With the third episode, it's clear that the series is fighting an uphill battle for admiration. It wants to be seen as unique, it wants to stand out in the crowd and this episode is evident in that it's introducing us to those rebels we learned about just last episode.

I do find it interesting they're introducing the rebels this early, one would think that they'd introduce them later on but well; here they are... I do find it somewhat interesting that they'd reside in a chain restaurant similar to Applebee's; just think, a quaint atmosphere ruined by harsh conditions, it's one of those things that makes the world feel almost reel. Unfortunately, it isn't explored enough and as such it doesn't stand out aside from the signs identifying it, turning into just another action setting; while I do admire that they've used it for other purposes such as character interaction, a forced environment is a forced environment and you can see how they wanted the fights to go without a hitch. Isles so wide you can almost maneuver in it, props that can be dropped on bad guys. The rebel guys themselves are disinteresting for our first look; they have the potential to be a true power, someone who's mission is either good or bad based on the perception but instead they languish it going the common Star Wars route and showing characters who you could barely care for despite the fact that two die and most of them are injured. When you're introducing someone, you have to establish that these people are important to the world, that they're a possible hope for us; sure, they competently serve up the action and a cause but they're supposed to be more than just fodder. Additionally, death and bloodshed is not the most effective way to make an entire group matter; we all relate to the fear of death but you're looking at the famine, you're looking at the darkness and what you're caring about is the situation, not the characters or anybody else in this rebellion. To truly care about something, you have to get into these characters, make them show you that there's somebody in this rebellion worth caring about; we can feel sad for a death but what long lasting meaning does a death have if it's just forced upon us since they're an important part of the series?

They got guns.

I also find it interesting that there's a focus to Miles that explores a hidden side to him. Sure he acts like the same old generic Han Solo caricature with forced lines, lack of impact and cheesy delivery but at least there's something in him that separates him from the pack. There's a feeling of redemption which they try to fit into his plot and deepen the character; you can tell from the militia who attack the base with ferocity, the conflict he gets into with one of their leaders and his subsequent capture/rescue afterwards that they're providing a platform for him to save himself, to cleanse his sins and the action is done nicely; however, much of this feels oddly predictable, in his flashbacks, it shows the types of personalities he has and the types of beliefs he develops along the way; meeting all sorts of generic people who don't how how to hunt or eat human remains in the process. I could get the gist almost instantly, "He used to be the founder of this milita because nobody helped them, the poor people who got abused for food and survival. And then came the power, He wanted territory, he wanted control. For the people. But then Monroe decided to get wise and militant and they broke apart and he's been seeking to bring it down ever since." It's not a good thing you can decipher his entire purpose for being within the span of those flashbacks; this is supposed to provides a moral grey area and yet it's almost shattered within seconds ruining his depth. You may think this may lead to better characterization but it doesn't. Charlie still acts poorly putting on faces that don't resemble emotion and tones that seem increasingly forced, (one benefit, she's not scared anymore but just because she can fight now doesn't make her better; and don't get me started on the whole "we can't fight them/yes we can" bit, it's like ultra-pandering) and Nora, she doesn't show any infliction or even shock; instead acting like their own version of Princess Leia. (Her story about losing a pregnant child does nothing for her character by the way, while it is sad, it's more about how the Militia are bad than it is about herself or her ambitions.)

That doesn't mean there isn't anything aside from Miles; we got some focus on the Militia and their ways; I found the whole argument on the rarity of the bullets interesting as it sort of reflects the tense situation out there and the comment about the law regarding gun ownership was an interesting tease; who knew it was there so that they wouldn't be disadvantaged. It is these things that really develop the world, give it life, help subvert the criticism; if they were wise then they would include more and make me interested towards their cause. On the negative side of things are the attempts to force depth and moral ambiguity, many of which are generic; it may seem shocking when our guys sends people to their death just to waste the bullets but the various guys who's lives he's sending to his doom, the value of those lives in general, the wrongness of it all seems oddly insubstantial, and the guy saying it does nothing to give it weight. The guy who constantly bullies Danny because of his friends death is trying to reflect on the cruelness of the militia in general but it all ends up bland, his story is somewhat interesting but all of his actions seem like he's trying to make us care about Danny, the alone time, the brutal beating... The only interesting thing is of course, Danny showing his dominance (although his personality remains weak.) which made it somewhat worthwhile. There's also the continuation of the plot with Rachel and Aaron in which they spend much of the episode figuring out what the device does; it's admirable what they tried to do with Aaron, have him show emotion, make him a character who the audience can relate to with his sadness, despair and frustration; it certainly makes his character seem more than just the comedic relief and it certainly makes the scenes with Rachel meaningful but his various flaws still exist and even more are revealed here; he proclaims himself as a geek but it seems odd that he wouldn't tinker with stuff nor could he figure out how to activate the device, in contrast, he knew various computer parts like the back of his hand. those things served to dilute his character heavily.

A geek and his candles.

In this episode, progress is being made but this show has a long way to go before it can truly reach meaningful heights. While certain things are being put on the table like the rebels, Miles and a part of a the gameplan, those things aren't really developed to sufficient levels to make a sufficient impact on the series and as a result, dwells into the same generic, contrived and forced stuff as episodes past. This show has ambitions but for the ambitions to work it has to become more serious, explore the complex issues rather than use them as a pad and grow the characters to a point where we can care about them; something which I'm hoping is happening sooner or later.

2.5/10
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                    No Quarter
                    With the third episode, it's clear that the series is fighting an uphill battle for admiration. It wants to be seen as unique, it wants to stand out in the crowd and this episode is evident in that it's introducing us to those rebels we learned about just last episode.
                    Ratings say otherwise
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

No Quarter(ep 3) is my favorite episode out of the 6 episodes so far. I loved Mark Pellegrino in it. I had some issues wih it, but overall I enjoyed that on a lot.
                      Sex and Drugs(ep 6) is my least favorite. I watched it again,
                      Spoiler:
                      and even though I still think that sending Charlie out to play assassin feels really contrived; I liked the character interactions at the insane poppy farmer's house.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Plague Dogs
                        Spoiler:
                        From the show's standpoint, Charlie is supposed to be this character who was once innocent but was brought in the world of death and torment, stemming from the death of her father, the departure of her mother and the capturing of her brother and Miles is supposed to be this character with a hard edge stemming from a deep, dark and hidden past and a lack of connection to her sister but from our standpoint, both characters are less than expected. This episode claims to do things for both of the characters but alas, it ultimately does nothing.

The episode appears to have a thing going on, a thing where Miles claims to leave and a thing where Charlie attempts to keep those who she loves. It's one that reflects within the closeness nature of Revolution; a guy always wanting to be alone, a daughter who just wants someone together and there is some depthness in claiming that he's doing this to reduce the danger but ultimately it just seems shallow. Watching both characters is sort of watching two stereotypes with each other, you get what they're saying but they don't know how to deliver the argument naturally, only knowing how to do so in a pandering way; this dilutes the argument because both of them aren't showing any sort of true emotion that could be essential in hooking us; it goes on and off throughout the episode, getting hinted at, getting proven but it never gets developed; through Charlie's instances, through Miles ruggedness, you get a feeling that they're going to remain together no matter what they say or do. They do try to reinforce it buy putting her in dangerous and emotional situations and it does work well in showing the common bond that they have but it doesn't do anything in making Charlie seem appealing. We're supposed to care for her because someone closed to her died, because she's in a scared situation of her own but the problem is she can't emote properly, she lacks bite in words that she says, she can't speak in a natural way and at times it even seems like she's literally forcing the emotion out of her; her acting is a major detractor getting in the way of her character and us getting to like her and forcing these situations on her is a cheap way of trying to include depth in a character and getting the audience to like her. What she needs to do is act better; this is a character with potential, a character who could legitimately grab people in with her charm, she has an interesting history, an interesting position and with a bit of effort she could actually create a compelling character, as it stands her character is in a position for the audience to hate her, actually expect her death and yell out and boo at the screen for her emotional moments.

Care for her!

Much of this episode is set in the most interesting setting out there; yes a theme park with no name. I'm surprised that they managed to utilize the former Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park in Myrtle Beach as a filming location, that park has been closed for 4 years and yet only now it's being used; I don't mind, it's got that quaint environment that's scary but perfect for the show, in fact barely any of the environment seems to be designed for a specific purpose, it fits many purposes realistically from character interaction to action to exploration. It may not be as run down as other places or battered up (compared to Flannigan's from the previous episode) but this is possibly the best setting in Revolution so far; I'm guessing there has to be some sort of boost for the park in real life being on that show, maybe it reopening perhaps? There are several people who join Charlie in this magical theme park, her love interest, the guy who stalks them and the titular dogs themselves; each of them serve to enforce this crazy world but barely any of them manage to provide something truly mindblowing. The guy has an interesting story; living in a theme park, surviving with the loss of her daughter from tetanus due to overprotection, it is definitely something that fits his scary mood and makes him somewhat creepy but he ends up somewhat one-dimensional with his acting that resembles anybody desperate; still, you can see that he's at least trying to seem crazy and insane. The type of vocal inflictions, the various pauses between dialogs, the delivery; this is something that you rarely see in Revolution and it's a fresh breather from all the generic contrived dialog and Star Wars situations, in fact you care more for him than you do for Charlie. Unlike the titular dogs and her love interest who seem uninspired and inconsistent, the love interest should of seemed more of a spy rather than someone whenever they need to have a prominent similarly aged guy around Charlie and the dogs should of attacked within an instant rather than taking their sweet time; to invoke the fear that rabid dogs usually do of course.

It seems like there's a real surprise to this and those surprises are the plots involving Danny and Nevil and Maggie, both of which get a chance to show their struts. I'm the most surprised of Maggie's plot, her backstory was really engaging and really compelling, I could just feel for her as she looked for her kids, encountered everyone she could just for a boat to the Atlantic; the emotion, the compassion, the determination, the worry, her actor finally brings out the potential of a character that has long since lingered on the wayside. It is miles better than that phone plot and it also gives weight as she gets herself injured, lingering on the lines of possible death. In terms of her character, it's sweet to know the bond between herself and Charlie's family, the kind of happiness that she found, the magic she's capable of, it truly sells the fact that this is a woman who was able to gain a new grasp on life; unfortunately, this is her last moment on the show and it's both good and bad, one one hand, her death is beautiful and it closes the story they had going on, on another they closed it when her story was getting good and the involvement of Charlie made her death into forced growth. Death can be wonderful when it's natural but when it's used as a plot point, to provide the illusion of character, that's when it becomes questionable. Nevil continues his reign as one of Revolution's best characters; here we can definitely see the best example of a person who has a sweet side underneath that sinister side, His lines about his son are done in a soulful way that warm and fuzzy, we can imagine what he must be feeling every time that he speaks and the brief moments he spends with Danny shows that there is more to him than just the Milita side, that during times of danger they could forgo everything bond; that doesn't mean that his bite is gone, he manages to yell out and lead better than any milita guy out there but this just enforces Nevil's character, It is hurt by Danny's out of place role though; is he portrayed as a tough guy or is he portrayed as an awkward guy? There needs to be some common ground in order to give Danny some sensibility.

The bliss of Maggie.

So surprisingly Revolution is getting better. This episode is furthering it's promise by coming up with compelling stories for both Nevil and Maggie and the plot regarding Rachel and Monroe is progressing in a decent rate but... Charlie is still the weakest character on the show, Miles' character is still uninteresting despite his interesting past and worst of all, somebody dies just so character can be forced. There was an interesting setting and good ambitions but those two things an episode does not make. Still... Baby steps.

3.5/10
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

Soul Train
                          Spoiler:
                          After the gang realizes Charlie has no soul, they go on a journey to find the immortal funk-filled Soul Train which could give Charlie the funky soul she needs y'all to prevent Charlie from forever being a Zombie. Okay that's not the actual plot of the episode, but it does involve a train and it does involve Charlie to a point.

I'm really surprised they showed steam energy is possible, you think there'd be some guys out there who know how to use ancient technology and build that stuff but they never seem to have those guys around, seemingly content on focusing on the fact that people are too dependent on electricity to ever go back. (this stuff is an important part of our history) Anyways, the stream train shows that there's at least hope for a technologically advanced world out there and it serves as a metaphor for our heroes, of time, of hope; something which they fail to exploit. There is something to be said for family, desperation, possibilities but everybody shown here fails to show that sense of bond that reflects that and that is most evident with Charlie, Miles and Danny; when we hear Danny talk about Nevil, his dialog doesn't fit, he's acting like a tough guy asking him if what he's doing is an act when he's been portrayed as awkward and when we hear Charlie and Danny talk about things such as his changed personality and the methods they used (especially in regards to the militia) it doesn't even seem like two conflicting personalities more like a girl trying his best to seem emotive and a guy trying his best to seem like a hard-edge person with a hidden personality and even though Miles edges out Charlie, both aren't convincing in showing the inner depths of their characters and even when Charlie and Danny see each other, it doesn't even feel natural; Charlie has to resort to exaggerated faces in order to let it be known and Danny, well surprisingly he does it more naturally but still... There is something that happens when two family members see each other, a sort of happiness, a sort of look that indicated that these two are related; most of the great shows has had that something and this show, I'm not convinced they're related.

The immortal soul train.

There are some things that are going on, for instance the town which they walk through is a nice hint of the life that's possible. People walking, buying food, pulling cars; it a sign that civilization can exist in any form as long as they have the basic elements; transportation, food, lifestyle and economy. However it's only a hint and much of it is forgone as it's being treated as the background, heck our heroes even walk freely through the militia without even a hint of notice; which proves inconsistent with the later appearances when they are chased by militia. Plot wise this episode does a good job in showing our guys in action; they're working so hard in order to stop the train, save Danny and celebrate a job well done but they get caught at every corner, they ride horses, they even do some desperate stuff and the progression is nicely done, ramping up in order to keep up with whatever the character may be feeling at the time. What these guys do are admirable but it seems like that's counteracted by the episode seeming aware of their need to keep Danny away from them; there are many easily solvable solutions that could of been taken, the location of where he's kept, the way to get him off the train, even getting him off the train himself. Other shows have done this before but there was a decent reason for why they couldn't get close, this doesn't have any suitable reason; whenever you think they're going to get somewhere, they have a character not realize the obvious until seconds later or have someone pop out of thin air in order to restrain her and ultimately keep her far apart (and provide a pointless standoff that goes nowhere). I understand what it can do for a character but I also understand that the audience has some sense of smartness in them and even if it's TV, obvious solutions shouldn't be shot down. At least the action leads to one exciting thing, Charlie and Miles finally meeting Nevil which proves as tense and awesome as always.

Speaking as which, this episode dives down into the personal life of Nevil through flashbacks. It's nice to see him constantly getting beat up; anybody who has been constantly put down can relate to him, the lack of an ability to stand up, frustrations which we punch away in our punching bag, a sense of dignity which he tries to keep alive and It serves as a suitable contrast to who he once was. What's amazing is that the blackout serves as the catalyst of this change; I don't think of it as much as a "Blackout" changing people, more so I see it as a "I'm not going to take it anymore.", this down-on-his-luck character seemingly having his revenge similar to the guy in the movie "Falling Down", training himself in the ways of strength and valor; while it is disturbing in how he's changed, it's also happy to see him rise up to a position of power, one where he gets respect, one where he gets appreciated and that gives much more sense to his struggles as a father and his sense of survival. It allows us to feel for the character in new ways Additionally, something is finally getting done regarding the Darth Monroe/Princess Rachel plot; both characters finally come to an impasse allowing them to progress the world with get a look at what Monroe does in his leadership positions, getting a look of the 5 countries that inhibit this land as well as the conflict between territories and we finally get to see Rachel reveal something about how to turn the power back on though it's something we've already known about before but we do learn that there are 12 of them out there... All in all, progress is being made.

A father and his son.

So we didn't get the soul we were so hoping for but hey, at least they're developing the world. It was nice to see certain things like the train, the life of Nevil through flashbacks and Monroe's plot but man do they need to work in convincing me that the characters matter, especially regarding the brother and sister relationship.

4.0/10
                          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                            Soul Train
                            Spoiler:
                            After the gang realizes Charlie has no soul, they go on a journey to find the immortal funk-filled Soul Train which could give Charlie the funky soul she needs y'all to prevent Charlie from forever being a Zombie. Okay that's not the actual plot of the episode, but it does involve a train and it does involve Charlie to a point.

I'm really surprised they showed steam energy is possible, you think there'd be some guys out there who know how to use ancient technology and build that stuff but they never seem to have those guys around, seemingly content on focusing on the fact that people are too dependent on electricity to ever go back. (this stuff is an important part of our history) Anyways, the stream train shows that there's at least hope for a technologically advanced world out there and it serves as a metaphor for our heroes, of time, of hope; something which they fail to exploit. There is something to be said for family, desperation, possibilities but everybody shown here fails to show that sense of bond that reflects that and that is most evident with Charlie, Miles and Danny; when we hear Danny talk about Nevil, his dialog doesn't fit, he's acting like a tough guy asking him if what he's doing is an act when he's been portrayed as awkward and when we hear Charlie and Danny talk about things such as his changed personality and the methods they used (especially in regards to the militia) it doesn't even seem like two conflicting personalities more like a girl trying his best to seem emotive and a guy trying his best to seem like a hard-edge person with a hidden personality and even though Miles edges out Charlie, both aren't convincing in showing the inner depths of their characters and even when Charlie and Danny see each other, it doesn't even feel natural; Charlie has to resort to exaggerated faces in order to let it be known and Danny, well surprisingly he does it more naturally but still... There is something that happens when two family members see each other, a sort of happiness, a sort of look that indicated that these two are related; most of the great shows has had that something and this show, I'm not convinced they're related.

The immortal soul train.

There are some things that are going on, for instance the town which they walk through is a nice hint of the life that's possible. People walking, buying food, pulling cars; it a sign that civilization can exist in any form as long as they have the basic elements; transportation, food, lifestyle and economy. However it's only a hint and much of it is forgone as it's being treated as the background, heck our heroes even walk freely through the militia without even a hint of notice; which proves inconsistent with the later appearances when they are chased by militia. Plot wise this episode does a good job in showing our guys in action; they're working so hard in order to stop the train, save Danny and celebrate a job well done but they get caught at every corner, they ride horses, they even do some desperate stuff and the progression is nicely done, ramping up in order to keep up with whatever the character may be feeling at the time. What these guys do are admirable but it seems like that's counteracted by the episode seeming aware of their need to keep Danny away from them; there are many easily solvable solutions that could of been taken, the location of where he's kept, the way to get him off the train, even getting him off the train himself. Other shows have done this before but there was a decent reason for why they couldn't get close, this doesn't have any suitable reason; whenever you think they're going to get somewhere, they have a character not realize the obvious until seconds later or have someone pop out of thin air in order to restrain her and ultimately keep her far apart (and provide a pointless standoff that goes nowhere). I understand what it can do for a character but I also understand that the audience has some sense of smartness in them and even if it's TV, obvious solutions shouldn't be shot down. At least the action leads to one exciting thing, Charlie and Miles finally meeting Nevil which proves as tense and awesome as always.

Speaking as which, this episode dives down into the personal life of Nevil through flashbacks. It's nice to see him constantly getting beat up; anybody who has been constantly put down can relate to him, the lack of an ability to stand up, frustrations which we punch away in our punching bag, a sense of dignity which he tries to keep alive and It serves as a suitable contrast to who he once was. What's amazing is that the blackout serves as the catalyst of this change; I don't think of it as much as a "Blackout" changing people, more so I see it as a "I'm not going to take it anymore.", this down-on-his-luck character seemingly having his revenge similar to the guy in the movie "Falling Down", training himself in the ways of strength and valor; while it is disturbing in how he's changed, it's also happy to see him rise up to a position of power, one where he gets respect, one where he gets appreciated and that gives much more sense to his struggles as a father and his sense of survival. It allows us to feel for the character in new ways Additionally, something is finally getting done regarding the Darth Monroe/Princess Rachel plot; both characters finally come to an impasse allowing them to progress the world with get a look at what Monroe does in his leadership positions, getting a look of the 5 countries that inhibit this land as well as the conflict between territories and we finally get to see Rachel reveal something about how to turn the power back on though it's something we've already known about before but we do learn that there are 12 of them out there... All in all, progress is being made.

A father and his son.

So we didn't get the soul we were so hoping for but hey, at least they're developing the world. It was nice to see certain things like the train, the life of Nevil through flashbacks and Monroe's plot but man do they need to work in convincing me that the characters matter, especially regarding the brother and sister relationship.

4.0/10
                            I have yet to see Revolution but from your reviews and others it sound like the casting Director should have come to the UK to hire some of the descent teenage actors the UK produces and appears in shows Misfits and Skins.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 04 November 2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

just finally watched this past week's episode.
                              once again charlie is terrible. such a flip-flopper. in the beginning of the episode she is all omg we're all gonna die, then she's all like gimme the pointy thing i'll stab the guy!

i think aaron is the best character by far. slick moves too.

all i know is they are running out of time to keep me interested. nothing is happening.
                              its the same thing every week: walk. find something/someone. escape narrowly from that something/someone.
                              repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                                once again charlie is terrible. such a flip-flopper. in the beginning of the episode she is all omg we're all gonna die, then she's all like gimme the pointy thing i'll stab the guy!
                                I agree with this.
                                Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                                X