No announcement yet.

Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It intrigued me enough to keep watching...The problem is, the trailer literally gave away almost everything in the pilot. I could have missed this episode, watched the trailer, and only missed one crucial "reveal".

I don't see it lasting more than a season, though, unless there is a lot more substance in the coming episodes.

I am only pessimistic due to the failure of Terra Nova and The Event, which was the last comparable show NBC did if I remember correctly.
    sigpic

Comment

I just watched the pilot again...live last night.

I love it. I don't care about the clothes, some of the villagers' clothes looked sewed together. But I'm not trying to debunk this show piece by piece. I care about how the characters interact and where the story is going.

I love Eric Kripke and I know he has a set plan for the series, but he also has left room to grow and go in different places.

My only concern is the writing for the female characters. Off the bat we have the two woman in the group and then the mystery woman.

Kripke has added female characters during his time on Supernatural, but I don't know if it was just the lack of chemistry between the leads and the ladies or if there was some behind the scenes stuff that prevent those characters from really taking off.

Obviously now the show is centered on a female lead, so I think for at least this season we are going to see how he handles that. While the first season of Supernatural had Sam as the primary protagonist for the audience to follow into the world and to ask questions for the audience, the show gradually changed IMO to focus on Dead in the latter seasons.

Hopefully the writers of Revolution are up to the challenge.

Comment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-down/148980/

Revolution started off good with a 4.1 HH in the 18-49 demo and 11.65 million viewers. But I caution people for getting too optimistic. Revolution had no competition this week. That will change next week with all the primetime channels airing thie new shows/seasons
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah we will see, I'll start watching this show though
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
            Yeah we will see, I'll start watching this show though
            I think I will watch it too, but I am going to wait. I am not confident anymore in these Shows and I do not need to relive Terra Nova all over again.

Besides that I have more fun anyways just guessing what happened. I have only seen the Trailer so far, but here goes. Some sort of Radiation cloud enveloped Earth that day. Harmless to Humans, but enough to disrupt most electrical currents. The Pendant has a shielding against that radiation and once activated it creates a field that lets Energy flow again. That though throws up a very big question. Who would be powerful enough to create a counter measure and then not use it?

I already know that answer cant quite be right, because how could you use a Computer Signal to communicate to someone, when everything electrical outside the field gets disrupted.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Regarding the clothes, you don't need a washing machine to clean clothes, I'd think that in 15 years, they'd find someone who knows how to knit new stuff as well (it was 15 wasn't it?).

Now if we were to continuously see them in the same clothes, nice and clean after getting dirty, week in week out, without a determinable washing source, then I'd get annoyed, but not just yet.

Comment

Off to a very good start IMO. Both my wife and I enjoyed the premiere very much. We will both definitely be tuning in next week.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                  It has promise, but I wasn't blown away by it.

I'll be interested to see what they come up with to explain how/why electricity stops flowing. And what about the electric current of our bodies?

Above comments about clothes are relevant, but could be explained away by people gathering what-ever might be useful and storing it for future use.

As to the uncle,
                  Spoiler:
                  wouldn't it be easier for him to hunt "Nate" down, kill him before he can get help from the militia, dispose of the body and then go back to his quiet existence?

regards,
                  G.
                  Gollumpus-re: spoiler-you make too much sense!

I enjoyed the show. I had the same thoughts as some above about the clothes, but then again some did like they were wearing look hand made clothes. Some people may have had clothes stored away as mentioned above, that were brought out later. Plus, I assume people wouldn't be washing clothes as much since it would have to be done by hand, so maybe clothes would go through less wear and tear. On the other hand-no electricity means no sewing machines, so new clothes would have to be sewn by hand. And Charlies boots looked a little too fancy for that kind of walking, but...that's probably all she had.
                  I really enjoyed the electricity going out scene-eerie. (with the planes falling out of the sky)

Comment

I really liked the Pilot episode, they set up quite a few characters and storylines really well for a 1 hour Pilot.
                    • The blackout showed enough to make it cool and feed the story
                    • The Uncle was set up pretty well, evidently him an "The General" were special forces buddies
                    • The Militia was pretty well done
                    • I like how most people have switched to muskets
                    • The niece is a really cool character
                    • "Nate" adds a complex character that we see already struggling with loyalty to the Militia and the girl
                    • The computer scene at the end was a big hook
                    • I also thought the Google guy was pretty cool

As for the clothes, hand washing will likely make them last longer plus there might be a huge warehouse full of clothes for some of the major stores and peoples houses that people have access to. Seriously, it is a tv show and most people don't like everyone to look nasty all the time. Considering the amount of people that likely died in year 1 after the blackout I imagine supply is high of many items.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
                      Gollumpus-re: spoiler-you make too much sense!
                      Sorry, I'll try to do worse.

Weren't the first electric sewing machines introduced around the late 1800's? There might be samples of manual machines to be had, and they would likely have been put into service, but yeah, with the combination of lots of clothes out there to pick through (stores, homes) the need for the average person could be small.

regards,
                      G.
                      Last edited by Gollumpus; 19 September 2012, 06:06 PM.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                        I already know that answer cant quite be right, because how could you use a Computer Signal to communicate to someone, when everything electrical outside the field gets disrupted.
                        I figure the other computer is upstairs somewhere in the same house...

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                        I really liked the Pilot episode, they set up quite a few characters and story lines really well for a 1 hour Pilot.

*The blackout showed enough to make it cool and feed the story
                        *The Uncle was set up pretty well, evidently him an "The General" were special forces buddies
                        Yeah, the guy we saw at the end of the episode was the other sergeant with Miles, Bass Monroe. I'm assuming he's only a local militia leader rather than anyone of "real" significance (ie. the people who are the brains behind the whole operation).

If he was heavily involved and in the loop, why was he out joy riding with Miles when the power died? Was he merely keeping eyes on Miles because of his connection to Ben? Perhaps, but if that was the case and someone wanted Miles where they could get at him, why not just find a way to keep him on base? A short notice cancellation of his leave wouldn't have been that difficult to arrange, would it?

*The Militia was pretty well done
                        *I like how most people have switched to muskets
                        Yeah, I agree about the militia. Also, from what we heard from Capt. Neville, we see that the militia conscript new members while they are still young and train (and brainwash?) them to support the cause. They likely also move them around a fair amount so any of the guys in "militia squad A" would not be allowed to serve in the "District A", but rather would only serve in "District C".

Neville could also be interesting depending on how the writers establish him. He looks to me as though he still considers himself to be a "good guy" who is stuck doing a difficult job... but someone has to do it, right? He's not full out evil, but he will order his troops to do things (the conscription threat) so he can fulfill his orders.

You're right, it makes sense that people reverted to older weaponry which is easier to make, and create ammunition. And, since the militias probably gathered all of the more advanced weaponry (machine guns, basic hand guns, etc) they likely had limited alternatives for missile fire, other than bows, crossbows, spears etc.

*The niece is a really cool character
                        I hope they establish Charlotte as a capable individual rather than her being a "weather vane". If she's a good hunter then she should be a half-way decent tracker and shot with her crossbow. Show her using those skills (they were only implied). If she is supposed to be smart then she should darn well be able to figure things out within the "limited" formal educational background and life experience she would have. If she is supposed to be feisty and combative in the face of adversity then she should be that way all the time, tempered by how smart she is.

In the attempted rape scene (the guys on the plane), I was waiting for her to do more than slap at the guy. I'm not suggesting she would go Rambo on them because there's no reason to expect that she would have that sort of training (although I suspect that will come from her uncle as the show progresses). I anticipated she would put up a feeble struggle, and when the time was right, grab a handy blunt object and at least try to knock that SOB out or daze him enough to be able to make a grab for his blade. She wouldn't even have to have been successful, that she made the attempt is the important thing in establishing her character.

However, the writers had her play the damsel in distress who gets saved by the timely arrival of Nate. This will get boring if it happens with any kind of frequency.

*"Nate" adds a complex character that we see already struggling with loyalty to the Militia and the girl
                        I'm betting
                        Spoiler:
                        he's Monroe's son. This being said, maybe Charlotte's mother is Monroe's squeeze.

*The computer scene at the end was a big hook
                        Yeah, that's why I was thinking of Jericho. I suppose I should have watched that show more often.

The thing that will rot my socks off is if who-ever pulled this event off in the first place could have turned the power back on at any time.

*I also thought the Google guy was pretty cool
                        He gives an interesting perspective on things. His comments about his personal wealth, jets and the hotel helped put things into some kind of perspective.

regards,
                        G.
                        Last edited by Gollumpus; 19 September 2012, 06:07 PM.
                        Go for Marty...

Comment

I think Charlotte is meant to show while she was allowed to hunt in her small little pond of a world. If never traveled outside to met new people. She's too trusting and she's not very well trained.

I believe or expect the show to display her maturing and developing more as an experienced traveler. She's going to make mistakes and she's going to be out of her depth, but that's why she has her companions.

She's skilled enough with the crossbow to shot that guy fighting her uncle, but fear and nerves took their toll on her when she had to reload quickly and came under attack.

As far as Nate goes...WTH! I really, really hope this doesn't become a love at first sight thing. Stargate Universe did not handle the sudden relationship that was Chloe and Matt very well. Later episodes did well to show their commitment to each other, but anyway.

I just hope if Nate and Charlotte do have feelings for each other it's a natural progression and not just a given. No matter what, the show needs these relationships to mature naturally and not set anything in stone. Kripke is fairly good with that, but that's my only concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                            I think Charlotte is meant to show while she was allowed to hunt in her small little pond of a world. If never traveled outside to met new people. She's too trusting and she's not very well trained.

I believe or expect the show to display her maturing and developing more as an experienced traveler. She's going to make mistakes and she's going to be out of her depth, but that's why she has her companions.
                            Agreed.

She's skilled enough with the crossbow to shot that guy fighting her uncle, but fear and nerves took their toll on her when she had to reload quickly and came under attack.
                            Good observation.

As far as Nate goes...WTH! I really, really hope this doesn't become a love at first sight thing. Stargate Universe did not handle the sudden relationship that was Chloe and Matt very well. Later episodes did well to show their commitment to each other, but anyway.
                            I still suspect a Romeo/Juliet is in the works.

I just hope if Nate and Charlotte do have feelings for each other it's a natural progression and not just a given. No matter what, the show needs these relationships to mature naturally and not set anything in stone. Kripke is fairly good with that, but that's my only concern.
                            I'm assuming there's going to be a series of events where Nate does something "bad", but still manages to be a borderline good-guy.

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                              Yeah, the guy we saw at the end of the episode was the other sergeant with Miles, Bass Monroe. I'm assuming he's only a local militia leader rather than anyone of "real" significance (ie. the people who are the brains behind the whole operation).

If he was heavily involved and in the loop, why was he out joy riding with Miles when the power died? Was he merely keeping eyes on Miles because of his connection to Ben? Perhaps, but if that was the case and someone wanted Miles where they could get at him, why not just find a way to keep him on base? A short notice cancellation of his leave wouldn't have been that difficult to arrange, would it?
                              I think Monroe is the General\Dictator\Main Man behind the militia. That being said, I don't think he has any idea who caused the power outage, that lady with the computer (and her group) are separate.

The people that caused the outage, for now, are a complete mystery. I imagine the show will be slow to release bits of information about them, kind of how they handled "the others" on LOST. I'm not saying the shows are the same, just how they'll handle this mysterious group.
                              sigpic

Comment

just finally watched the first ep.
                                enjoyable if not predictable.

i'll watch.

(better than terra nova)

Comment

Working...
                                X