Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast
    Captain

Default Re: Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    A lot(probably most actually) of my dislike for Charlie has to do with the actress' performance, especially in the more emotional scenes. But also, when Miles is being self-pitying or a harsh, he's treated like he's being a jerk by the other characters. When Charlie is being whiny, self-pitying, or is putting others in danger with her actions, and she's confronted(usually by Miles); that's treated like Miles is again, just being a jerk, and not because Charlie is whiny, self-pitying or in anyway wrong in her behavior.

I enjoy the show a lot, and actually missed that it wasn't on this week lol.
    Here's the thing, you can't accept every characters actions. Sometimes you just don't like a character because you don't like see people act that way.

Whether it's some people on this board that hate seeing manipulative characters "get away" with it or whatever. That doesn't mean the character or show is wrong, it just means you personally have an issue with people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrja84 View Post
    Here's the thing, you can't accept every characters actions. Sometimes you just don't like a character because you don't like see people act that way.

Whether it's some people on this board that hate seeing manipulative characters "get away" with it or whatever. That doesn't mean the character or show is wrong, it just means you personally have an issue with people like that.
    I know that I don't have to accept a character's actions all the time, and a show can do what ever it wants, but that doesn't mean I have to like it/agree with it either. Anyway, I don't have an issue with Charlie type characters in general (I do sometimes prefer darker, more ambiguous characters, but not always); I have an issue with Charlie, and most of that is because of the actress' performance. I have a hard time finding the character sympathetic, because I don't find the performance convincing/appealing.

Lieutenant Colonel

I know that I don't have to accept a character's actions all the time, and a show can do what ever it wants, but that doesn't mean I have to like it/agree with it either. Anyway, I don't have an issue with Charlie type characters in general (I do sometimes prefer darker, more ambiguous characters, but not always); I have an issue with Charlie, and most of that is because of the actress' performance. I have a hard time finding the character sympathetic, because I don't find the performance convincing/appealing.
    You do know that she is meant to portray the character is portraying right? Its not a mistake, its what she was hired to do.

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    You do know that she is meant to portray the character is portraying right? Its not a mistake, its what she was hired to do.
    Yes. You do know that not all actors have the same amount of experience or skill level, right?
    The character is supposed to be young, compassionate, and kind of idealistic(I don't mind that I don't want the character to turn into a stone-cold killer/hardened warrior or anything). I understand that. I also understand that she lost her family
    Spoiler:
    (father's dead, her mother left and is thought dead, her brother's been kidnapped)
    , so she feels abandoned and alone. I just don't like the way the actress plays Charlie at times. I think she overacts(especially during the more emotional scenes), and towards the end of the latest episode(5),
    Spoiler:
    when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny(though that might have been the writing for that scene that just made it seem forced, and not her acting)
    I could go describe exactly what I don't like about the actress' preformance, but it might sound a bit mean(and she's bound to get better as time goes on). Even though I don't particularly like the character all that much, I don't hate her. I think she's fine when she's not all emotional and demanding. I even like her at times.

Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind about the character(or the actress' performance) right now. I might like her more after the next episode. After all, I like her a lot better now than I did when the show first started.

About the next episode(6)(based on what I've seen in the promos):
    Spoiler:
    I really hope Charlie doesn't end up having to sleep with that sleazy guy in order to save Nora. She probably won't... I hope anyway.
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; October 25th, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

towards the end of the latest episode(5),
    Spoiler:
    when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny
    Yeah, that was uncomfortable. It drew attention to itself & jolted me out of the fictional world.

Spoiler:
    I really hope Charlie doesn't end up having to sleep with that sleazy guy in order to save Nora. She probably won't... I hope anyway.
    I doubt it, considering the showrunners seem to be aiming for a (relatively) family-friendly Hunger-Games vibe. Sure, there's killing, but that's not nearly as taboo for a USA "family" show as sex is. Weird and somewhat disturbing if one stops to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    I doubt it, considering the showrunners seem to be aiming for a (relatively) family-friendly Hunger-Games vibe. Sure, there's killing, but that's not nearly as taboo for a USA "family" show as sex is. Weird and somewhat disturbing if one stops to think about it.
    Spoiler:
    That's true, and it wouldn't even be sex, it would be rape, so I don't think think they'll go there. She'll probably be saved just in time, if anything. I know they definitely won't show anything explicit. I let my 12 yr old son watch. He loves the show, and Charlie is his favorite character, so I'm hoping that nothing too bad happens.
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; October 25th, 2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags just in case

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes. You do know that not all actors have the same amount of experience or skill level, right?
    The character is supposed to be young, compassionate, and kind of idealistic(I don't mind that I don't want the character to turn into a stone-cold killer/hardened warrior or anything). I understand that. I also understand that she lost her family
    Spoiler:
    (father's dead, her mother left and is thought dead, her brother's been kidnapped)
    , so she feels abandoned and alone. I just don't like the way the actress plays Charlie at times. I think she overacts(especially during the more emotional scenes), and towards the end of the latest episode(5),
    Spoiler:
    when she was trying to act tough and in-charge, it felt so forced that it found it funny(though that might have been the writing for that scene that just made it seem forced, and not her acting)
    I could go describe exactly what I don't like about the actress' preformance, but it might sound a bit mean(and she's bound to get better as time goes on). Even though I don't particularly like the character all that much, I don't hate her. I think she's fine when she's not all emotional and demanding. I even like her at times.

Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind about the character(or the actress' performance) right now. I might like her more after the next episode. After all, I like her a lot better now than I did when the show first started.

Spoiler:
    If she is meant to portray a person who is upset at the world and upset at the people around her, then she is doing a very GOOD job at this as that is what you are feeling. I have seen people become upset at a shoe with too much white on them (i actually have) and so being upset at a **** of an uncle would not make you happy and get along with everyone. We have seen her change so much over 5 episodes and i feel that the next will see her taking things to a new level.

People on facebook seem to hate her but then again...you know, its facebook. People who complain on there must know th they're whiny complaints will fall on deaf ears, NBC (and others) have people who set up and maintain facebook/twitter and have nothing to do with the show at all. She is not going anywhere so people need to either get over her or move on.

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    If she is meant to portray a person who is upset at the world and upset at the people around her, then she is doing a very GOOD job at this as that is what you are feeling. I have seen people become upset at a shoe with too much white on them (i actually have) and so being upset at a **** of an uncle would not make you happy and get along with everyone. We have seen her change so much over 5 episodes and i feel that the next will see her taking things to a new level.

People on facebook seem to hate her but then again...you know, its facebook. People who complain on there must know th they're whiny complaints will fall on deaf ears, NBC (and others) have people who set up and maintain facebook/twitter and have nothing to do with the show at all. She is not going anywhere so people need to either get over her or move on.
    I've never looked at the show's facebook page, so I don't know what people on there are saying about Charlie. If you like the character and the actress(and have liked her from the start), that's great. You can like whatever you want; other people don't have to feel the same though. When I post my thoughts or feelings about Charlie, any of the other characters, or about things that happen on the show; I'm just stating my opinion(obviously). I don't expect anything to come of it(I don't expect network people to read what I say and change things to suit me lol).
    I don't think she's awful, and I know she's not going anywhere; I personally don't want her to(it really wouldn't make any sense for her it die or be written out right now). Sometimes it just takes a bit for the actors to get used to their character; and for the writers to get used to writing for the actors playing the characters.

Major General

I think she'd be a better character if most of the other characters didn't act like she can do no wrong. Miles is the only one that tells her off, but that's treated like a bad thing on the show. Charlie always ends up in the right at the end since she's the moral center/heroine or whatever; it's annoying.
    That is true. You would think with all she has been through and ACTUALLY asking 'uncle dearest' to help out, she would be more apt to do what she is told... Unless there is some angle they are trying to go with.

A lot(probably most actually) of my dislike for Charlie has to do with the actress' performance, especially in the more emotional scenes. But also, when Miles is being self-pitying or a harsh, he's treated like he's being a jerk by the other characters. When Charlie is being whiny, self-pitying, or is putting others in danger with her actions, and she's confronted(usually by Miles); that's treated like Miles is again, just being a jerk, and not because Charlie is whiny, self-pitying or in anyway wrong in her behavior.
    Agreed. Either he is a bad guy for being a butt head to charlie, or he is a bad guy for being a jerk wallowing in what he made... The PTB need to get off the 'charlie good' angle'. Otherwise i will be done with the show... though i do admit i missed the 6th ep (where they went to that house to get the chick healed, and charlie had to do that 'strip' for the main baddie from the previews i saw).. So i don't know if that changed the equation any.

And as to whether she 'does have to give it up to save the other girl, or gets rescued... I actualy hope she DOES not get saved.. and does have to perform... Might show her ass some humility.

First Lieutenant

well i just watched the latest episode and IMHO it is the worst one yet (!)

what i hated most though was the son (Danny) just hugging his "dead" mother instead of questioning her first or telling her of for leaving (i sure would have...sorry, maybe i am just emotionally "dead" but forgiveness is something to be earned for me and not granted just because it is possible - even more so in a situation i would feel betrayed/stabbed in the back (like a relative i thought dead turning up alive))

the rest of the episode was so "filler" like, because the main story did not advance much...i mean nothing really important happened, like monroe getting one of those pendants or some other person having one showing up etc.

well, hope next episode is better.

greetings LAX

the one good thing about this episode was Aarons development, that was a nice touch that he just wasn't only a comic relief but gets a proper characterization ! I liked that other than that yeah last episode was kind of better.. why are people *****ing about this show and still watch it? If I dont like a show anymore I just stop watching !

I thought last night's episode was ok. I did like it, but I thought the other episodes were better. I liked Aaron's backstory, the parts with Neville, Monroe, and Jason, and towards the end with Danny and his mother. I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp!der View Post
    the one good thing about this episode was Aarons development, that was a nice touch that he just wasn't only a comic relief but gets a proper characterization ! I liked that other than that yeah last episode was kind of better.. why are people *****ing about this show and still watch it? If I dont like a show anymore I just stop watching !
    Some enjoy the complaining almost more than watching a show.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Major General

Ya think!
    Sometimes i wonder why they bother myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose-Wally View Post
    Try watching the show, and then come back to give your opinion. The way you fumble the names of major characters suggest you've not watched the same show that I have.
    I watched the show, If you read the review you'll note various scenes that happened in the episode and the characteristics themselves. I may fumble on major character names but that doesn't mean I'm watching a different show. I'm paying attention, I'm giving the show a fair chance.
    Back from the grave.

I watched the recent Episodes to find out if this thing is worth waiting till they have released more Episodes. Turns out a Car accident is more interresting to watch.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    well i just watched the latest episode and IMHO it is the worst one yet (!)

what i hated most though was the son (Danny) just hugging his "dead" mother instead of questioning her first or telling her of for leaving (i sure would have...sorry, maybe i am just emotionally "dead" but forgiveness is something to be earned for me and not granted just because it is possible - even more so in a situation i would feel betrayed/stabbed in the back (like a relative i thought dead turning up alive))

the rest of the episode was so "filler" like, because the main story did not advance much...i mean nothing really important happened, like monroe getting one of those pendants or some other person having one showing up etc.

well, hope next episode is better.

greetings LAX
    He wasn't forgiving her. His been held captive and sees everyone around him as enemies. Then he sees his mother and sure he has questions, but it is more likely for him to just cave in and be comforted by his closet family member.

He has no idea what she was doing for all these years. For all he knows she has been held captive as well. He just wants some relief. And so the next episode or so will have him asking questions more likely.

No Quarter
    Spoiler:
    With the third episode, it's clear that the series is fighting an uphill battle for admiration. It wants to be seen as unique, it wants to stand out in the crowd and this episode is evident in that it's introducing us to those rebels we learned about just last episode.

I do find it interesting they're introducing the rebels this early, one would think that they'd introduce them later on but well; here they are... I do find it somewhat interesting that they'd reside in a chain restaurant similar to Applebee's; just think, a quaint atmosphere ruined by harsh conditions, it's one of those things that makes the world feel almost reel. Unfortunately, it isn't explored enough and as such it doesn't stand out aside from the signs identifying it, turning into just another action setting; while I do admire that they've used it for other purposes such as character interaction, a forced environment is a forced environment and you can see how they wanted the fights to go without a hitch. Isles so wide you can almost maneuver in it, props that can be dropped on bad guys. The rebel guys themselves are disinteresting for our first look; they have the potential to be a true power, someone who's mission is either good or bad based on the perception but instead they languish it going the common Star Wars route and showing characters who you could barely care for despite the fact that two die and most of them are injured. When you're introducing someone, you have to establish that these people are important to the world, that they're a possible hope for us; sure, they competently serve up the action and a cause but they're supposed to be more than just fodder. Additionally, death and bloodshed is not the most effective way to make an entire group matter; we all relate to the fear of death but you're looking at the famine, you're looking at the darkness and what you're caring about is the situation, not the characters or anybody else in this rebellion. To truly care about something, you have to get into these characters, make them show you that there's somebody in this rebellion worth caring about; we can feel sad for a death but what long lasting meaning does a death have if it's just forced upon us since they're an important part of the series?

They got guns.

I also find it interesting that there's a focus to Miles that explores a hidden side to him. Sure he acts like the same old generic Han Solo caricature with forced lines, lack of impact and cheesy delivery but at least there's something in him that separates him from the pack. There's a feeling of redemption which they try to fit into his plot and deepen the character; you can tell from the militia who attack the base with ferocity, the conflict he gets into with one of their leaders and his subsequent capture/rescue afterwards that they're providing a platform for him to save himself, to cleanse his sins and the action is done nicely; however, much of this feels oddly predictable, in his flashbacks, it shows the types of personalities he has and the types of beliefs he develops along the way; meeting all sorts of generic people who don't how how to hunt or eat human remains in the process. I could get the gist almost instantly, "He used to be the founder of this milita because nobody helped them, the poor people who got abused for food and survival. And then came the power, He wanted territory, he wanted control. For the people. But then Monroe decided to get wise and militant and they broke apart and he's been seeking to bring it down ever since." It's not a good thing you can decipher his entire purpose for being within the span of those flashbacks; this is supposed to provides a moral grey area and yet it's almost shattered within seconds ruining his depth. You may think this may lead to better characterization but it doesn't. Charlie still acts poorly putting on faces that don't resemble emotion and tones that seem increasingly forced, (one benefit, she's not scared anymore but just because she can fight now doesn't make her better; and don't get me started on the whole "we can't fight them/yes we can" bit, it's like ultra-pandering) and Nora, she doesn't show any infliction or even shock; instead acting like their own version of Princess Leia. (Her story about losing a pregnant child does nothing for her character by the way, while it is sad, it's more about how the Militia are bad than it is about herself or her ambitions.)

That doesn't mean there isn't anything aside from Miles; we got some focus on the Militia and their ways; I found the whole argument on the rarity of the bullets interesting as it sort of reflects the tense situation out there and the comment about the law regarding gun ownership was an interesting tease; who knew it was there so that they wouldn't be disadvantaged. It is these things that really develop the world, give it life, help subvert the criticism; if they were wise then they would include more and make me interested towards their cause. On the negative side of things are the attempts to force depth and moral ambiguity, many of which are generic; it may seem shocking when our guys sends people to their death just to waste the bullets but the various guys who's lives he's sending to his doom, the value of those lives in general, the wrongness of it all seems oddly insubstantial, and the guy saying it does nothing to give it weight. The guy who constantly bullies Danny because of his friends death is trying to reflect on the cruelness of the militia in general but it all ends up bland, his story is somewhat interesting but all of his actions seem like he's trying to make us care about Danny, the alone time, the brutal beating... The only interesting thing is of course, Danny showing his dominance (although his personality remains weak.) which made it somewhat worthwhile. There's also the continuation of the plot with Rachel and Aaron in which they spend much of the episode figuring out what the device does; it's admirable what they tried to do with Aaron, have him show emotion, make him a character who the audience can relate to with his sadness, despair and frustration; it certainly makes his character seem more than just the comedic relief and it certainly makes the scenes with Rachel meaningful but his various flaws still exist and even more are revealed here; he proclaims himself as a geek but it seems odd that he wouldn't tinker with stuff nor could he figure out how to activate the device, in contrast, he knew various computer parts like the back of his hand. those things served to dilute his character heavily.

A geek and his candles.

In this episode, progress is being made but this show has a long way to go before it can truly reach meaningful heights. While certain things are being put on the table like the rebels, Miles and a part of a the gameplan, those things aren't really developed to sufficient levels to make a sufficient impact on the series and as a result, dwells into the same generic, contrived and forced stuff as episodes past. This show has ambitions but for the ambitions to work it has to become more serious, explore the complex issues rather than use them as a pad and grow the characters to a point where we can care about them; something which I'm hoping is happening sooner or later.

2.5/10
    Back from the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    No Quarter
    With the third episode, it's clear that the series is fighting an uphill battle for admiration. It wants to be seen as unique, it wants to stand out in the crowd and this episode is evident in that it's introducing us to those rebels we learned about just last episode.
    Ratings say otherwise
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

No Quarter(ep 3) is my favorite episode out of the 6 episodes so far. I loved Mark Pellegrino in it. I had some issues wih it, but overall I enjoyed that on a lot.
    Sex and Drugs(ep 6) is my least favorite. I watched it again,
    Spoiler:
    and even though I still think that sending Charlie out to play assassin feels really contrived; I liked the character interactions at the insane poppy farmer's house.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast