Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escyos View Post
    Your still banging on about the planes? .
    Not me someone else decided to challenge my view on the plane crash, so someone answered back and I decided to explain my original view point in more detail.

We get it, you like TV to be completely scientifically sound. However TV is not and rarely ever is.
    No, I do not care whether TV completely Scientifically sound (which is why I enjoy stargate and BSG and Star trek before JJ ruin it), but I do like events like my fights scenes and plane crashes which are presented as real and taking place in the real world to look real or fairly real, and not as fake looking as this plane crash does.

Heres an explanation: It takes place in an alternate reality where planes operate differently. There problem solved
    If that the case, then hopefully we will see other weird events taking place in this universe.
    Last edited by knowles2; 30 May 2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Well if you watch the preview again, you see that the power flickers and some street lights explode. If a plane that was flying low sudden;y had an engine explode and then lose all power, it would spin out of control and plummet to the ground.

Granted the plane does not have any smoke or fire coming from it, but if you look you see its lights flickering as well. What happens to a plane if you randomly turn the engines on and off? I imagine that would be getting forces working on parts of the plane, then others, then others.

Comment

Well if you watch the preview again, you see that the power flickers and some street lights explode. If a plane that was flying low sudden;y had an engine explode and then lose all power, it would spin out of control and plummet to the ground.
        Noticed but even then, engines and cooling systems would have a effect similar to the plane; especially if "some" only explode.

And why would any plane would fly really low over a metropolitan city like Chicago? Even if there was a reason they were doing it, it isn't possible both for logistical and federal reasons. The routes that lead to and from Chicago O'Hare airport are normally directed around the city, not near it. In that preview there are planes which seem to be falling at speeds not possible unless there was some sort of malfunction that both caused the jet to gain speed and lose control; (much of which isn't possible since pitch and yaw control are independent from electrical control.)

Granted the plane does not have any smoke or fire coming from it, but if you look you see its lights flickering as well. What happens to a plane if you randomly turn the engines on and off? I imagine that would be getting forces working on parts of the plane, then others, then others.
        As for the lights, I don't know how they'd keep turning on especially since anything electrical is supposed to be powered off from whatever is causing this; especially since the cars themselves turn off one by one without any flickering whatsoever.

What makes this blackout possible is up for question, various scenes show electrical interference and disruption alongside the flickering lights; which means that something is overloading it or something is trying to disrupt the electrical charge that is happening. For the blackout to happen there'd have to be.

1. A natural phenomenon with the power to disrupt electricity all around the world that can be significiantly altered by outside sources. (CME for example)
        2. Something that prevents an electrical charge from happening; whether or not it's a field or something else entirely (those USB-drive like devices have the ability to turn on machines, maybe it prevents the field from working?)
        3. Something that overloads electronic devices though the purpose is to eliminate electricity not add to it.

In the trailer, it is said that all forms of electrical energies including batteries don't work. Now electricity is ions, positive and negative; energy can be generated by friction and contact... A windmill can generate electricity just by the movement of the wind itself. If all electricity is gone then there'd have to be a way to prevent a charge from forming; as in no amount of friction can generate an electrical charge no matter how hard you try. A natural phenomeon can negate electricity but there'd have to be something that can keep the electrical charge from forming since all phenomenons can't last forever; same goes for the man-generated field. It'd be different if it didn't involve a illuminati type group but since it does it just brings more questions to the forefront, questions like how the illiminati have the means to build and maintain something that negates the electrical charge.

Additionally, there is also communication between computers as shown at the end of the trailer, and as we all know communication is something that relies on electrical circuits. So unless they manage to wave the magic wand, one has to ask how they can communicate when there is something outside that's supposed to prevent this stuff from happening.

A TV show can utilize this phenomenon if there's a decent explanation behind it but if the explanation isn't sufficient or overcomplicated then it's going to make the entire premise of the show even more ridiculous.
        Back from the grave.

Comment

I give up. If you don't buy the premise and aren't willing to overlook tiny details, then don't watch the show or discuss it. You seem to be fighting for the sake of fighting now.

Comment

Also if there no electricity, then our brains and nervous systems, an our hearts would all stop functioning as well, as they all rely on electricity.

As I said in my previous post, I look forward to the explanations given in the show, let hope we get them before the show is cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Also if there no electricity, then our brains and nervous systems, an our hearts would all stop functioning as well, as they all rely on electricity.

As I said in my previous post, I look forward to the explanations given in the show, let hope we get them before the show is cancelled.
              I think it means man-made electricity...not bio-electricity.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                I think it means man-made electricity...not bio-electricity.
                There no such thing bio-electricity, electricity is all the same, whether it produce through biological process or using a dynamo.

Comment

This is what worries me about such a TV series. The explanation for such a global catastrophe had better be very well explained and worth the trouble or it will be like a reaaaalllly bad punch line to a very long joke and the embarrassing pause afterwards when no one laughs.

This is what someone wrote about the "American warship" movie....
                  "Some movies require suspension of disbelief. Others require that your disbelief be murdered brutally and buried in a shallow grave out in the forest somewhere."
                  If it was a miniseries….now that’s an idea!
                  SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

There no such thing bio-electricity, electricity is all the same, whether it produce through biological process or using a dynamo.
                    I think you're wrong...

http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/faculty/d...ecture%201.pdf
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      Nice presentation, I refer to this bit through;

""Bioelectricity is now known to obey the
                      same fundamental laws of electricity in
                      the atmosphere, conducting wires,
                      semiconductors, etc.""
                      Last edited by knowles2; 04 June 2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

So again all this hinges on what could shut down all electricity on earth. Would any one care to hazard a guess at what it could be?

Comment

Nice presentation, I refer to this bit through;

""Bioelectricity is now known to obey the
                          same fundamental laws of electricity in
                          the atmosphere, conducting wires,
                          semiconductors, etc.""
                          Reminds me, i must check the wiring in my legs, they have been acting up..
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                            Reminds me, i must check the wiring in my legs, they have been acting up..
                            You mean nerves, they are just a different form of wire, I would not touch them if I were you, they can be rather sensitive. My previous comment was a quote directly taken from the presentation which carter posted a link to.

So again all this hinges on what could shut down all electricity on earth. Would any one care to hazard a guess at what it could be?
                            Nothing can shut down electricity, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity, it essentially a fundamental force in the universe, you cant simple shut it down.

You can over load electronics with a massive electro magnetic pulse, you could in theory, I guest use an electromagnetic field to permanently shut down unshielded electronics, it would require an enormous power source,, but military forces are well equip to handle EMP pulse, they spent the last fifty years hardening their infrastructure against such pulses, ever since the first atomic bombs tests.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro-magnetic_pulse

From this site it appears that coldwar timeperiod had such sheilding but it has fallen by the wayside with modern computor revolution. There appears to be no such protection for civilians. However such EMP burst are recoverable with spare parts.

Comment

First, I've only watched the trailer so my understanding of the show is based on that.

To me it reminds me a lot of "FlashForward". The whole idea that some people can control and turn off the lights seems unlikely and unappealing. And even following the rules of "Revolution", it just doesn't make any sense. (It being the science.) But about the technology, 4 the kids sake, it was probably a good thing it got turned off, they seemed a little pathetic. And the voiceover, (which may or may not be a one time thing,) doesn't fit the situation in my opinion. (But it could just be the voice.) Tim Guinee is a great actor though, so crossing my fingers for him not dying, 'cause I will be giving it a chance, when that time comes. The fate of "Revolution" will probably be decided by then, either down spinning like the plane or up like the plants on the buildings.

Comment

Working...
                                X