Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Captain

Default Re: Revolution ( NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion

Regarding the clothes, you don't need a washing machine to clean clothes, I'd think that in 15 years, they'd find someone who knows how to knit new stuff as well (it was 15 wasn't it?).

Now if we were to continuously see them in the same clothes, nice and clean after getting dirty, week in week out, without a determinable washing source, then I'd get annoyed, but not just yet.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Off to a very good start IMO. Both my wife and I enjoyed the premiere very much. We will both definitely be tuning in next week.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    It has promise, but I wasn't blown away by it.

I'll be interested to see what they come up with to explain how/why electricity stops flowing. And what about the electric current of our bodies?

Above comments about clothes are relevant, but could be explained away by people gathering what-ever might be useful and storing it for future use.

As to the uncle,
    Spoiler:
    wouldn't it be easier for him to hunt "Nate" down, kill him before he can get help from the militia, dispose of the body and then go back to his quiet existence?

regards,
    G.
    Gollumpus-re: spoiler-you make too much sense!

I enjoyed the show. I had the same thoughts as some above about the clothes, but then again some did like they were wearing look hand made clothes. Some people may have had clothes stored away as mentioned above, that were brought out later. Plus, I assume people wouldn't be washing clothes as much since it would have to be done by hand, so maybe clothes would go through less wear and tear. On the other hand-no electricity means no sewing machines, so new clothes would have to be sewn by hand. And Charlies boots looked a little too fancy for that kind of walking, but...that's probably all she had.
    I really enjoyed the electricity going out scene-eerie. (with the planes falling out of the sky)

I really liked the Pilot episode, they set up quite a few characters and storylines really well for a 1 hour Pilot.
    • The blackout showed enough to make it cool and feed the story
    • The Uncle was set up pretty well, evidently him an "The General" were special forces buddies
    • The Militia was pretty well done
    • I like how most people have switched to muskets
    • The niece is a really cool character
    • "Nate" adds a complex character that we see already struggling with loyalty to the Militia and the girl
    • The computer scene at the end was a big hook
    • I also thought the Google guy was pretty cool

As for the clothes, hand washing will likely make them last longer plus there might be a huge warehouse full of clothes for some of the major stores and peoples houses that people have access to. Seriously, it is a tv show and most people don't like everyone to look nasty all the time. Considering the amount of people that likely died in year 1 after the blackout I imagine supply is high of many items.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by Perelandra View Post
    Gollumpus-re: spoiler-you make too much sense!
    Sorry, I'll try to do worse.

Weren't the first electric sewing machines introduced around the late 1800's? There might be samples of manual machines to be had, and they would likely have been put into service, but yeah, with the combination of lots of clothes out there to pick through (stores, homes) the need for the average person could be small.

regards,
    G.
    Last edited by Gollumpus; September 19th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Go for Marty...

Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    I already know that answer cant quite be right, because how could you use a Computer Signal to communicate to someone, when everything electrical outside the field gets disrupted.
    I figure the other computer is upstairs somewhere in the same house...

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    I really liked the Pilot episode, they set up quite a few characters and story lines really well for a 1 hour Pilot.

*The blackout showed enough to make it cool and feed the story
    *The Uncle was set up pretty well, evidently him an "The General" were special forces buddies
    Yeah, the guy we saw at the end of the episode was the other sergeant with Miles, Bass Monroe. I'm assuming he's only a local militia leader rather than anyone of "real" significance (ie. the people who are the brains behind the whole operation).

If he was heavily involved and in the loop, why was he out joy riding with Miles when the power died? Was he merely keeping eyes on Miles because of his connection to Ben? Perhaps, but if that was the case and someone wanted Miles where they could get at him, why not just find a way to keep him on base? A short notice cancellation of his leave wouldn't have been that difficult to arrange, would it?

*The Militia was pretty well done
    *I like how most people have switched to muskets
    Yeah, I agree about the militia. Also, from what we heard from Capt. Neville, we see that the militia conscript new members while they are still young and train (and brainwash?) them to support the cause. They likely also move them around a fair amount so any of the guys in "militia squad A" would not be allowed to serve in the "District A", but rather would only serve in "District C".

Neville could also be interesting depending on how the writers establish him. He looks to me as though he still considers himself to be a "good guy" who is stuck doing a difficult job... but someone has to do it, right? He's not full out evil, but he will order his troops to do things (the conscription threat) so he can fulfill his orders.

You're right, it makes sense that people reverted to older weaponry which is easier to make, and create ammunition. And, since the militias probably gathered all of the more advanced weaponry (machine guns, basic hand guns, etc) they likely had limited alternatives for missile fire, other than bows, crossbows, spears etc.

*The niece is a really cool character
    I hope they establish Charlotte as a capable individual rather than her being a "weather vane". If she's a good hunter then she should be a half-way decent tracker and shot with her crossbow. Show her using those skills (they were only implied). If she is supposed to be smart then she should darn well be able to figure things out within the "limited" formal educational background and life experience she would have. If she is supposed to be feisty and combative in the face of adversity then she should be that way all the time, tempered by how smart she is.

In the attempted rape scene (the guys on the plane), I was waiting for her to do more than slap at the guy. I'm not suggesting she would go Rambo on them because there's no reason to expect that she would have that sort of training (although I suspect that will come from her uncle as the show progresses). I anticipated she would put up a feeble struggle, and when the time was right, grab a handy blunt object and at least try to knock that SOB out or daze him enough to be able to make a grab for his blade. She wouldn't even have to have been successful, that she made the attempt is the important thing in establishing her character.

However, the writers had her play the damsel in distress who gets saved by the timely arrival of Nate. This will get boring if it happens with any kind of frequency.

*"Nate" adds a complex character that we see already struggling with loyalty to the Militia and the girl
    I'm betting
    Spoiler:
    he's Monroe's son. This being said, maybe Charlotte's mother is Monroe's squeeze.

*The computer scene at the end was a big hook
    Yeah, that's why I was thinking of Jericho. I suppose I should have watched that show more often.

The thing that will rot my socks off is if who-ever pulled this event off in the first place could have turned the power back on at any time.

*I also thought the Google guy was pretty cool
    He gives an interesting perspective on things. His comments about his personal wealth, jets and the hotel helped put things into some kind of perspective.

regards,
    G.
    Last edited by Gollumpus; September 19th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Go for Marty...

Captain

I think Charlotte is meant to show while she was allowed to hunt in her small little pond of a world. If never traveled outside to met new people. She's too trusting and she's not very well trained.

I believe or expect the show to display her maturing and developing more as an experienced traveler. She's going to make mistakes and she's going to be out of her depth, but that's why she has her companions.

She's skilled enough with the crossbow to shot that guy fighting her uncle, but fear and nerves took their toll on her when she had to reload quickly and came under attack.

As far as Nate goes...WTH! I really, really hope this doesn't become a love at first sight thing. Stargate Universe did not handle the sudden relationship that was Chloe and Matt very well. Later episodes did well to show their commitment to each other, but anyway.

I just hope if Nate and Charlotte do have feelings for each other it's a natural progression and not just a given. No matter what, the show needs these relationships to mature naturally and not set anything in stone. Kripke is fairly good with that, but that's my only concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrja84 View Post
    I think Charlotte is meant to show while she was allowed to hunt in her small little pond of a world. If never traveled outside to met new people. She's too trusting and she's not very well trained.

I believe or expect the show to display her maturing and developing more as an experienced traveler. She's going to make mistakes and she's going to be out of her depth, but that's why she has her companions.
    Agreed.

She's skilled enough with the crossbow to shot that guy fighting her uncle, but fear and nerves took their toll on her when she had to reload quickly and came under attack.
    Good observation.

As far as Nate goes...WTH! I really, really hope this doesn't become a love at first sight thing. Stargate Universe did not handle the sudden relationship that was Chloe and Matt very well. Later episodes did well to show their commitment to each other, but anyway.
    I still suspect a Romeo/Juliet is in the works.

I just hope if Nate and Charlotte do have feelings for each other it's a natural progression and not just a given. No matter what, the show needs these relationships to mature naturally and not set anything in stone. Kripke is fairly good with that, but that's my only concern.
    I'm assuming there's going to be a series of events where Nate does something "bad", but still manages to be a borderline good-guy.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    Yeah, the guy we saw at the end of the episode was the other sergeant with Miles, Bass Monroe. I'm assuming he's only a local militia leader rather than anyone of "real" significance (ie. the people who are the brains behind the whole operation).

If he was heavily involved and in the loop, why was he out joy riding with Miles when the power died? Was he merely keeping eyes on Miles because of his connection to Ben? Perhaps, but if that was the case and someone wanted Miles where they could get at him, why not just find a way to keep him on base? A short notice cancellation of his leave wouldn't have been that difficult to arrange, would it?
    I think Monroe is the General\Dictator\Main Man behind the militia. That being said, I don't think he has any idea who caused the power outage, that lady with the computer (and her group) are separate.

The people that caused the outage, for now, are a complete mystery. I imagine the show will be slow to release bits of information about them, kind of how they handled "the others" on LOST. I'm not saying the shows are the same, just how they'll handle this mysterious group.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Major

just finally watched the first ep.
    enjoyable if not predictable.

i'll watch.

(better than terra nova)

Me 2 it was decent i'm going to keep watching
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Heard a friend talking about but I must say the way he explained it, it sounded far more interesting... just watched the pilot and I can't say I'm intrigued. Too many inconsistencies to continue fretting about it. Apparently when a black-out happens, homo sapiens sapiens turns back into a Homo Sapiens equivalent to a Neanderthal and we promptly reverse back into idiots who can't remember how we first started out in the whole electricity business.

They better have a very good explanation for it, otherwise this show won't last till the end. It's a modern take on the whole cowboy & indian play...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Major

well i don't think it's as simple as someone just needs to reinvent the light bulb. obviously something happened that doesn't allow electrons to flow anymore, in any fashion. That's what electricity is. Controlled flow of electrons.
    Possibly some sort of gigantic EM field, or magnetic field issue. I'm no physicist so I'm shooting from the hip here.
    Perhaps the device the lady had at the end there creates some sort of allowable bubble for electricity to work. And I'm curious if the program the dad was downloading from the laptop right before the blackout onto a similar device also does the same thing.

But remember, we rely on electricity for EVERYTHING. We basically would revert to how it was shown in the show, I feel. No power tools, no batteries, no nothing.

I'm not quite sure why they were using muskets - maybe all the regular ammo has been expended, who knows.

But, we'll see where it goes.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Heard a friend talking about but I must say the way he explained it, it sounded far more interesting... just watched the pilot and I can't say I'm intrigued. Too many inconsistencies to continue fretting about it. Apparently when a black-out happens, homo sapiens sapiens turns back into a Homo Sapiens equivalent to a Neanderthal and we promptly reverse back into idiots who can't remember how we first started out in the whole electricity business.

They better have a very good explanation for it, otherwise this show won't last till the end. It's a modern take on the whole cowboy & indian play...
    Are you referring to why they are not using solar, wind, etc? If so then you missed the premise of the show entirely.

I bet that a bunch of fans will be entrenched into this show and they will cancel it after everyone is emtionally invested... that is what usually happens.. and yes I watched the first episode... I bet they try to be everything to everyone, and don't want to offend children, so they will not get to radical wioth language or acting... tey wil try to please everyone.... and once again, have teenagers who know all (wesley crushers..), screw things up... like other shows that went with the dinos... (cough,, cough..)

It would be nice if it works out, and we get a good show......

Pining for more Haven, Grimm, and Continuum

The pilot was meh. The society was too primitive. The writers appear to equate no electricity with 1776, and yet parts of America and Europe didn't have regular electricity in 1900. Apparently all print books also couldn't be read, and I agree, the clothing is a problem.

The characters are ok, but the random electricity thumb-drive isn't working for me.

It's better than Terra Nova, but I wouldn't call Revolution good yet.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

First Lieutenant

Hey

I have been watching the Pilot, too (I would like to know when they bring this show to german TV, because a lot of my friends are not that good with english to be able to watch it otherwise) and I agree with a lot of the things about technology and so on (i mean, there are a lot of science books (in libraries) and a lot of things do not need to have electricity to be able to be used (steam-engines for example) etc...

And I have another "concerne":

How did Charly's Dad know the power would go out and why did he not stop it? (until that is cleared up, I have my issues with the man (IMHO he deserves having been shot!)...I would go as far as to say that I hate him based on the limited information that we have, because he ruined everybodys lives!)

Well I will stay tuned

greetings LAX
    ps: Terra Nova was not so bad - It might not have been all that great, but with what little science fiction there is on TV it was one of the better shows (no bright star like "Stargate: SG-1" or say "Star Trek: TNG" but enjoyable non the less)

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    Hey

I have been watching the Pilot, too (I would like to know when they bring this show to german TV, because a lot of my friends are not that good with english to be able to watch it otherwise) and I agree with a lot of the things about technology and so on (i mean, there are a lot of science books (in libraries) and a lot of things do not need to have electricity to be able to be used (steam-engines for example) etc...

And I have another "concerne":

How did Charly's Dad know the power would go out and why did he not stop it? (until that is cleared up, I have my issues with the man (IMHO he deserves having been shot!)...I would go as far as to say that I hate him based on the limited information that we have, because he ruined everybodys lives!)
    I shall attempt to answer:

As I have said on the Revolution Facebook page about 50 times so far, there has been only one episode and we only saw one small village, an abandoned airport, a portion of a street and a militia camp, so there is no way that we could know that they are not using technology somewhere e.g. steam powered cars etc.

At the moment we do not know how Ben knew about the power going out, my theory is that he was part of a government group working on a weapon to disable electricity inside "pesky" countries so the military could "help" the people of these countries. Maybe the scientists in charge knew that the military would only use it to conquer so they released it worldwide in an attempt to fix the problems of our modern society. We do not know why yet but we will find out at some point.

I suggest that you keep watching, every show that has ever existed has had a few dud episodes that if they were the first one you watched you would probably not come back for more and would miss out on something great.

First Lieutenant

i will continue watching - now doubt about that (hell, stargate: sg-1 had a lot of episodes i did not like in the first two seasons)

still, who gave those scientists the right? (if it was something along those lines)...sorry, but no one has the right to do something like this even if there seem to be good reasons (the way to hell is after all paved with good intentions)

i am sorry, but if i knew someone who was in the know after something like this happened, i would look for that guy/girl too (to question him and maybe get my view of the story across (and maybe killing him/her after that))

mfg LAX

All we know is that he knew the electricity was going to go out. We know nothing of the context of how and what he knew and how long he knew. I'm a little hesitant to pace blame whateve the father's name is until more information is revealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast