This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel & Rodney in "First Contact" / "The Lost Tribe"

Note: "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe" mark the fifth season mid-season two-parter. Back out or be spoiled if you haven't seen them.

I watched this two-parter recently with my mom. I noticed that whenever Daniel and McKay had a scene together, they both spoke very fast to the point where my mom had no idea what they said. She kept getting frustrated, asking me what they said, and making mocking sounds to drive home that she has no idea what they said. Did anyone else have this problem with these two episodes? I don't recall Jackson ever talking that fast on SG-1. Maybe a scene or two, but not a whole two-part episode.

I didn't like the parts where Daniel and Rodney were trying to outsnark each other. Daniel came across as quite arrogant. I didn't like how they treated Sheppard either. I was annoyed with them and I didn't like it. Daniel and Rodney should have been gold together. I think the writers, however, thought it was a ton of fun to have the two fastest talkers try to outdo each other with their lines - Deuling Scientists.
    sigpic

Comment

I noticed that especially in the last few years of Stargate that Daniel often talked so fast it was hard to understand him. I kept wanting to tell him to slow down and speak clearly. Ha! Probably trying to get as much information out before somebody told him to shut up.

Comment

I loved their interaction, and had no problem understanding them, and there is always the subtitles Altho i know, some people dont like them, they can help.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          I didn't like the parts where Daniel and Rodney were trying to outsnark each other. Daniel came across as quite arrogant. I didn't like how they treated Sheppard either. I was annoyed with them and I didn't like it. Daniel and Rodney should have been gold together. I think the writers, however, thought it was a ton of fun to have the two fastest talkers try to outdo each other with their lines - Deuling Scientists.
          I didn't see it this way. I saw it as McKay being worried that he was a failure.

Comment

When Rodney starts talking I stop listening
            sigpic

Comment

i had no problem following them

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                Bingo, you nailed it. I always had trouble understanding Rodney. Some lines took me several viewings to fully understand. I guess I listen too slowly.

I didn't have as much trouble with Daniel and always liked him a lot. But somehow, I found him very irritating when paired with Rodney.

And having them act like they thought Sheppard was too stupid to be as cool as they were just made me furious. But by this time in the series, nothing they did to ridicule him and try to make him do things OOC would have surprised me.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

i had no trouble understanding them in that episode but i speak fast normally.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    Bingo, you nailed it. I always had trouble understanding Rodney. Some lines took me several viewings to fully understand. I guess I listen too slowly.

I didn't have as much trouble with Daniel and always liked him a lot. But somehow, I found him very irritating when paired with Rodney.

And having them act like they thought Sheppard was too stupid to be as cool as they were just made me furious. But by this time in the series, nothing they did to ridicule him and try to make him do things OOC would have surprised me.
                    What Southern Red and Lythisrose said. Those episodes made me dislike both Rodney and Daniel, both characters I generally like.

Comment

Though i agree, it was snarky what they did to shep, it WAS in keeping with their characters. BOTH do have the tendency to speak real fast when excited.

Comment

True, but for the whole episode? On SG-1, we're only half way through the fifth season. We haven't gotten to post-ascension Jackson. As for McKay, these two episodes were the first where my mom had an issue with McKay talking way too fast. To her, they were talking jiberish. Was it in character for them? Really, it felt like they were having a contest to see who can talk the fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          ...... On SG-1, we're only half way through the fifth season. We haven't gotten to post-ascension Jackson. ...
                          ???

ETA: Oh, you mean you and your mom are on Season 5? Never mind then.
                          Last edited by Lythisrose; 08 May 2012, 03:22 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Though i agree, it was snarky what they did to shep, it WAS in keeping with their characters. BOTH do have the tendency to speak real fast when excited.
                            It was in Rodney's character to snark at Shep and make fun of him, but I always thought it was done in a "buddy buddy" sort of way. The guys I know frequently insult each other, but they don't join in with someone, like Daniel, who is not a good friend of the other person and deliberately try to make them look stupid like they did with John.

But maybe I'm just being influenced by the fact that Gero said on a commentary that nobody was going to believe that John Sheppard could qualify for Mensa. It just seemed excessive in these 2 episodes.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              It was in Rodney's character to snark at Shep and make fun of him, but I always thought it was done in a "buddy buddy" sort of way. The guys I know frequently insult each other, but they don't join in with someone, like Daniel, who is not a good friend of the other person and deliberately try to make them look stupid like they did with John.

But maybe I'm just being influenced by the fact that Gero said on a commentary that nobody was going to believe that John Sheppard could qualify for Mensa. It just seemed excessive in these 2 episodes.
                              This really soured me on these episodes. (And Martin G)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X