X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for this!

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
      Yes, it's really a shame that SGU didn't get the full 5 years that was planned.
      I would be happy with just 1 more season.!

Robert Carlyle really is quite fantasitc, for me it is amazing to think that he could go from Begbie in Trainspotting to the lead in the Full Monty for instance, then there is other stuff he was in like Hamish Macbeth (which my English mother watches), 28 months later etc
      He is great imo as Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon A time.

Comment

I know I'm in the smallest minority ever here, but I would easily trade all of SGA for more SGU. For me, SGU is the pinnacle of the franchise. Sacrilege, I know.

I told my fiance a few days ago that if I had three wishes, I would use one of them to bring back SGU. So I guess you could say that I REALLY liked this show.

Comment

Not sacrilege.

I liked SGA. I loved SGU.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I kind of grew up with SG1 and after that SGA became at first a kind of a replacement but became quickly in the middle of season two, beginning of season three its own beauty but SGU was the golden ice tip of the franchise but as I said earlier I wouldn't trade any of the other shows for more SG:U but
            sigpic

Comment

While there was more of SGA i disliked than SG1, i would not give it up for more SGU..

Comment

I deffinately would trade any amount of SG-1 or SGA for more SGU.
                SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

SGU was growing very strong IMO. It is a shame it was canceled when it was.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I wouldn't trade any SG-1 or SGA for more SGU, but I'd love more SGU. I would agree that it was the pinnacle of the franchise in many ways and was firing on all cylinders at the end of S2.

But I think all three series were great. And reality is that there would be no SGU without the other two. I think each series created a different dynamic - and we even saw SG-1 basically reboot the tone with S9.

Atlantis started out with a bang and never let up. SG-1 took a few seasons to really find its footing, but by S3 it was hitting with most every ep. SGU built slowly, but was far more character driven. And at least there was some humor still there, unlike a show like BSG which was mostly humorless (great show, but it could be oppressive).

Though I will say that SG-1 makes me laugh the most, but that has much to do with the chemistry. RDA is hilarious. Amanda Tapping has her own unique mannerisms that make her funny. Shanks has a great sarcastic wit as Daniel. And Browder and Black bring much humor with them in S9 and S10.

I could use more SG-1, SGA, and SGU, to be honest. I think all three shows had plenty of life left in them when they ended, though SGU had the most direct path to a few more years of plots since there was seemingly a destination that was planned from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
                      I am a Stargate fan so I watched all of SGA and as good as Joe Flanigan was, David Hewlett as Rodeny McKay was THE ONLY reason for watching that show. It was a very poor rip off of SG1 that had only McKay going for it.
                      Many people would dispute that; I mean it had the same basis as SG1 and much of the same cast but I wouldn't call it a ripoff, I'd call it SG1 in a different universe but I wouldn't call it a ripoff.

Now finally I am starting to get more mature and SGU comes out. Finally this is a Stargate that is for adults.
                      Just like the Arch Deluxe, just because it's mature does not mean it's automatically going to be great.

There is FINALLY real character development, real characters thrown together with different motivations and a real storyline. This is no longer our childish SG1 with the heros vanquishing the bad guys, go earth! This is a real drama with real people problems, a true show in every sense of the word.
                      I wouldn't call SG1 childish as it had some moments where it seemed dark and edgy... I'd call it more of a family show more than a childrens show as it was designed for the whole family to enjoy; I would call Seasons 8-10 childish because it dumbed down SG1 to the point where it made the characters into a bunch of goofups, changed the situations so that it'd seemed more lighthearted and focused more on being comedic rather then being straight sci-fi. If they removed the extremely violent stuff and they aired this on Disney Junior, absolutely everyone would think that this was a live action kids series created by Disney and no one would be the wiser of it's true origins.

One thing I dislike about SGU is how it's presented as "This isn't your old childish Stargate; this is a new, adult Stargate with real characters, with real edge, with real action & drama! SG1 and SGA were childish, this is hip, this is new, this is edgy, this is SGU!" I mean I get that it's something different but to use it as a praising point of the series, that doesn't entirely work.

We have a bunch of completely different people dealing with an extraordinary situation as best they can. This is a real human drama, and this is a series that can completely be taken seriously by the general populace. This is just a great TV show, nevermind the sci fi aspect.
                      Many of the situations seen on the ship reminded me of soap operas and barely any of the characters on the show could have been considered to be really human (except for Rush, Eli, Young and Greer). To me, TJ, Wray, Scott and Chloe and all the other characters seem mostly robotic in their acting; portraying themselves to be characters reading lines and not really getting themselves into the situations, there are very few times where the characters actually shine (Chloe for example.) but for the most part they're stuck acting as if this was a soap opera in space; but without any of the believability or humanism of the characters. I think it's first season couldn't exactly find a balance between sci-fi, action and character and that's what doomed the show; in a character drama I want to get to know the characters the best that I can and I want to see what the characters do on the ship itself, (which is what "Life" did perfectly.) without knowing the characters and without me getting involved with them, I find myself being detracted by the episodes where there are action, situations on the ship or even tensions between various factors. I don't want to find myself thinking about the flaws or knowing that they'll be back or even wondering if they'll even keep the changes posed in the episode (aside from cosmetic damages, there was barely anything that had an ever impacting change on the crew.), I want to be immersed in the action and so far SGU has failed to do that; it has shown it's flaws more then it has welcomed me with open arms.

I don't want a show like this to use sex, action, moments where the characters are trapped or even sci-fi tropes in order to entrance the audience; I want a show like this to focus on the characters and grow them, something which the show did not do as much even when given the chance.

Basically my point is that this show might have been completely limited by Stargate name. This is the 3rd maybe 2nd best sci fi show of all time, but it got cancelled since it was in the same vein as the awesome but still childish SG1 which is just such a shame.
                      The reason it got canceled is still up for debate. Some say it was due to SGA being canceled for SG1, some say it was because of the backlash from SGA and SG1 fans; I personally like to think that it couldn't captivate the audience enough to succeed. There situations they had the characters in (As much as other people like the Rush/Young conflict, I disliked it), the attempts to make the show deep and even the characters themselves were working against SGU from the start; with one thing you like comes another thing you just find tasteless. Some argue that the show gets better in the second season (and that might be true) but this is a space opera/serial, meaning that you have to consider and watch the episodes of Season 1 no matter disappointing/bad they may be and that alone harms the entire series since the episodes themselves aren't standalone. You can't skip Season 1 and jump into Season 2, that's not how it works.

If I win the lottery the first thing I do is finance a Serenity sequel, the second thing I do is finance a SGU movie. Can't believe that this show got only 2 seasons <Snipped >
                      What can I say, the mechanics of show business can be a pain in the ass sometimes and it's not like they weren't given a fair chance to gain their share of viewers.

SGA got 5 seasons and even that SG1 got the Ori years. I would trade 5 years of SGA + 2 years of Ori SG1 for ONE MORE SEASON OF SGU!!!! Please tell me I am not the only one.
                      I feel the same way but I would only trade the Ori SG1 for the remaining three seasons.

And to add my two cents on the matter. I wouldn't say SGU was underrated; in fact in my opinion it was overrated because the people constantly praised the show as if it were a masterpiece when I couldn't see anything that made it as grand as it seemed; don't get me wrong, there are good episodes but the series as a whole is overrated. Underrated is when something is truly good, truly amazing in every sense of the word but barely anybody pays it any mind; there are barely any mentions of it or even websites for it, even the fanbase for it could be considered a niche in it's own right.

Do you know what's truly underrated? "Babar (1989-1991)", barely anybody has heard about the show and there is barely any information about the show itself, compared to SGU which I'm sure got a lot of mentions on the web and etc. during it's run on Syfy. I mean have you seen the number of vids dedicated to SGU? If I win the lottery the first thing I'll do is try to bring back "Babar" because I felt it had more stories to tell and more people should really discover the magic and wonder that is this show.
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't have to say that, I would just be called a "H8ter"

As for Babar, it *may* not be well known it the US, but my kids watch and enjoy Babar most days, so perhaps you may want to consider the "where", rather than the "what" in this instance?
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I would trade the Ori seasons, the final Atlantis season, the entire DS9, the entire Infinity(SG animated) and possibly the entire TAS(Star Trek animated) for at least 1 extra SGU season.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I had a number of issues with SGU, however, I felt it was developing into what was going to be a great a show.

One of the things which annoyed me about SGU was the (IMO) poor use of the "kino" net-based material. I'm fairly net aware and I didn't know of their existence until perhaps somewhere in season two.

There is stuff in those (heck, all of them) which could have been included into a regular TV episode, and had that been done, may have helped with their falling ratings. They provided humor, pathos and added to character and plot development in so many ways.

"Drop the Sirs", "Not Being There", "All the Stages", "Like a Hug", and "Wait for It" are some of the best.

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                              Underrated is when something is truly good, truly amazing in every sense of the word but barely anybody pays it any mind; there are barely any mentions of it or even websites for it, even the fanbase for it could be considered a niche in it's own right.
                              Na, underrated is just when something is rating as being worse than it is. It's a misnomer in this context anyway. It assumes there is an objectively correct rating, which there can't be by definition.

Comment

Not sure how anyone gets the idea their desire to swap one for the other has any relevance.
                                What is the point?

I liked SG1, I liked SGA more and SGU was by far in a class by itself

Perhaps BSG embarrassed the SG producers who felt they wanted to play in the grown up arena of TV medium as even the music was BSGish.

That is not a bad thing. Porsche did not invent the SUV but they sure make a great one now and SGU may have been strongly influenced by the quality of character interaction and more realistic uneven human behavior of BSG but they did it in a way that separated it as well as give it a quality level that almost removed it too far from the simplistic first two series.

Bad economic timing

The only thing deserving of more seasons was Firefly

Wulfmann

Comment

Working...
                                X