SGU, by far the most underrated series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU, by far the most underrated series.

I grew up with Stargate SG-1. The unknown factor everytime they went through the gate was awesome, Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks and co made for a great cast with lots of chemistry and a nice light sci fi show. It was enjoyable, and trust me I will never go against SG1, that show never pretended to be more than it was, it was a fun enjoyable military/sci-fi show, nothing more, nothing less. I loved it. I am a Stargate fan so I watched all of SGA and as good as Joe Flanigan was, David Hewlett as Rodeny McKay was THE ONLY reason for watching that show. It was a very poor rip off of SG1 that had only McKay going for it.

Now finally I am starting to get more mature and SGU comes out. Finally this is a Stargate that is for adults. There is FINALLY real character development, real characters thrown together with different motivations and a real storyline. This is no longer our childish SG1 with the heros vanquishing the bad guys, go earth! This is a real drama with real people problems, a true show in every sense of the word. We have a bunch of completely different people dealing with an extraordinary situation as best they can. This is a real human drama, and this is a series that can completely be taken seriously by the general populace. This is just a great TV show, nevermind the sci fi aspect.

Basically my point is that this show might have been completely limited by Stargate name. This is the 3rd maybe 2nd best sci fi show of all time, but it got cancelled since it was in the same vein as the awesome but still childish SG1 which is just such a shame. If I win the lottery the first thing I do is finance a Serenity sequel, the second thing I do is finance a SGU movie. Can't believe that this show got only 2 seasons <Snipped > SGA got 5 seasons and even that SG1 got the Ori years. I would trade 5 years of SGA + 2 years of Ori SG1 for ONE MORE SEASON OF SGU!!!! Please tell me I am not the only one.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 May 2012, 05:10 AM.

I would certainly trade the Ori storyline for another season of SGU, but I wouldn't sacrifice all of SGA, I really enjoy that too.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, it's really a shame that SGU didn't get the full 5 years that was planned.
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with you Holden!!
        I have like SG1, not love SGA and loving SGU and I would have like that this series has more seasons, to continue this magnificent adventures it's really sad that people did not want to leave him a luck
        sigpic
        by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

I personally dont think SG1 was childish, i do think it was made so that the whole family could be able too watch together but that doesnt neccessarily mean childish.
          as for SGU i wasnt a big fan but i do feel sorry for the fans as i have lost shows that i really liked too early aswell.
          sigpic
          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Agreed, but I still love SGA Season 1-3, but the Oris would get a cut for SGU season 3-5!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
              I grew up with Stargate SG-1. The unknown factor everytime they went through the gate was awesome, Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks and co made for a great cast with lots of chemistry and a nice light sci fi show. It was enjoyable, and trust me I will never go against SG1, that show never pretended to be more than it was, it was a fun enjoyable military/sci-fi show, nothing more, nothing less. I loved it. I am a Stargate fan so I watched all of SGA and as good as Joe Flanigan was, David Hewlett as Rodeny McKay was THE ONLY reason for watching that show. It was a very poor rip off of SG1 that had only McKay going for it.

Now finally I am starting to get more mature and SGU comes out. Finally this is a Stargate that is for adults. There is FINALLY real character development, real characters thrown together with different motivations and a real storyline. This is no longer our childish SG1 with the heros vanquishing the bad guys, go earth! This is a real drama with real people problems, a true show in every sense of the word. We have a bunch of completely different people dealing with an extraordinary situation as best they can. This is a real human drama, and this is a series that can completely be taken seriously by the general populace. This is just a great TV show, nevermind the sci fi aspect.

Basically my point is that this show might have been completely limited by Stargate name. This is the 3rd maybe 2nd best sci fi show of all time, but it got cancelled since it was in the same vein as the awesome but still childish SG1 which is just such a shame. If I win the lottery the first thing I do is finance a Serenity sequel, the second thing I do is finance a SGU movie. Can't believe that this show got only 2 seasons <Snipped > SGA got 5 seasons and even that SG1 got the Ori years. I would trade 5 years of SGA + 2 years of Ori SG1 for ONE MORE SEASON OF SGU!!!! Please tell me I am not the only one.
              Glad you liked SGU, "Time" from the first season was among my favorites. Truth be told, SGU hadn't any shine through Episodes like SG1 and SGA had, but that's because it only had two seasons. I'm sure, if it had more seasons, it would have found its stride. SG1 remains the defacto series, seconded by SGA and rounded off by SGU.

Comment

Holden you are not alone. Allot of us here feel the same way. However if you wished to finance any more of these SGU episodes were about 2-3 million per episode with additional untold millions in 'start up costs'.
                SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

SGU is pretty underrated. I also grew up with SG-1 and SGA and I was at first hesitant to accept the show because it was different than those that preceded it. Once I got into it they cancelled the show...
                  sigpic

Favorite quote:
                  McKay: You shot me!
                  Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                  Ronon: You shot me, too.
                  Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

I wouldn't trade the 140 episodes of SG-1 seasons 9-10 and all of SGA for a mere 20 episodes of SGU...

I enjoyed SGU but I don't think it is worth a fifth of one show and an entirety of another...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                      I wouldn't trade the 140 episodes of SG-1 seasons 9-10 and all of SGA for a mere 20 episodes of SGU...

I enjoyed SGU but I don't think it is worth a fifth of one show and an entirety of another...
                      True, still a shame it got canned prematurely !
                      sigpic

Comment

What has the previous SG got to do with SGU? The creators wanted to try something new, which is there right. It was probably SGU or nothing, they needed to evolve. So they rolled the dice in a bad economic environment and came up short.
                        SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

The show does seem to be gaining quite a few fans post-cancellation, I'm not sure if that's something to feel better about or more frustrated. You see articles like this pop up every few weeks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

For my part, as someone who watched all three, I liked SG1, even though it is a tad corny in the first few seasons but it developed quite well. I liked SGA, but absolutely love SGU and it is my favourite out of the three

I think it takes a little while if you have seen the first two, to tune into the style of SGU, I think it seems to have been attacked for being a bit different from fans of the previous, but it was quite distinct in itself so needed a little time to assert itself. It is the type of franchise that would appeal to some fans of the other two, but not others, but at the same time appeal to new viewers who the first two did not appeal to. Obviously the fact that season 1 of SGU perceivably replaced season 6 of SGA (rightly or wrongly) meant it got off on a bad footing

Looking back, best case scenario was that if SG1 ended after season 8 when they found the ZPM in Ancient Egypt and skipped the two Ori seasons (I didn't mind them, actually quite liked the character dialogue etc but am willing to sacrifice those two seasons given how much I loved SGU), and instead start SGA and SGU at the same time or perhaps have SGU start in conjunction with season 2 of SGA (marketing reasons). That way they have a franchise that appeals to old school fans and the new distinct style which allows the writers to go in a new direction and professionally develop etc and there wouldn't have been the conflict issues

Added to that, SGU would have started at same time as SGA, before downloads and PVR's and NEtflix etc became so widespread that it ate into the old school business model and the viewer figures were closer together (eg 4 million for SGA pilot but only 2 million for SGU etc), plus this will be just before the upper management change and GFC and of course Joel Goldsmtih passing away, which means SGU would have been given a few years to find its footing (it really hit its stride in season 2, season 3 it would have started to become big in its own right and gain some momentum IMO), develop its business case (which in turn helps with the funding for the movies) plus we get more seasons of fantastic Joel Goldsmith music

But that obviously didn't happen. Such a shame because SGU for me was more like a drama in space and sci fi around the edges, similar to how game of thrones is political drama with fantasy around the edges. Some people disliked this as being a "soap in space", but for me this is largel what made it so great (plus the small things like the great CGI and the camera angles), with Robert Carlyle in the lead this was gripping drama at times

Re "Life", people criticise it for being slow, but I think that's the point, they are all wanting to go home soon, but have to face the prospect of their journey on the ship dragging on, so naturally the episode has to feel like that as well...

I wouldn't sacrifice all of SGA either, I actually thought the SGU episode with the two SGA actors in it (David Hewlett and the Woolesy guy) was quite good, and enriched the potential storylines

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              The show does seem to be gaining quite a few fans post-cancellation, I'm not sure if that's something to feel better about or more frustrated. You see articles like this pop up every few weeks or so.
                              Probably because ironically it was really hitting its strides in the episodes that aired post cancellation

Robert Carlyle really is quite fantasitc, for me it is amazing to think that he could go from Begbie in Trainspotting to the lead in the Full Monty for instance, then there is other stuff he was in like Hamish Macbeth (which my English mother watches), 28 months later etc

Probably still see articles like that because SGU was an excellent series, and people still not over/can't process the fact it was cancelled, especially when you see rubbish getting renewed all the time. I'm certainly in this camp

Comment

Working...
                              X