The Cylons New Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cylons New Clothes

From the start of BSG, but more towards seasons 3 and 4, I felt Ronald D Moore and David Eick were at times mocking their audience: i.e. how dark and dysfunctional can I make this show, and still have it called "art"?

Don't get me wrong, there are many parts of BSG I loved, and am a fan of his earlier Star Trek TNG and DS9. It's pretty cool they were able to get away with almost anything on the show (i.e. do what they wanted), but the story thread spun a bit out of control with Kara as an angel and everyone's a Cylon (i.e. "Crossroads"/"He that Believith in Me"). I'm sure there are other shows where the writers show contempt for their audience, and I don't believe Ron D Moore did that here, but I think he came close to the line a few times.

12 Cylons--a number given in the pilot--is suddenly "everyone's a Cylon" when the count hits 11 at the end of season 3?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      12 Cylons--a number given in the pilot--is suddenly "everyone's a Cylon" when the count hits 11 at the end of season 3?
      Alright, in the interest of clarity (and accuracy ), I meant almost everyone of importance on Galatica is a Cylon. Except Kara, who's an angel. I found the reveal at the end of "Crossroads" funny, but I'm completely prejudiced.

Comment

I just got done watching BSG on Netflix... all in a little over a month. I did enjoy season 1 & 2 and really wanted to see how it ended so I did watch all 4 seasons. I just didn't enjoy seasons 3 and 4 as much, I preferred more of the action and less of the politics and morality that they seemed to delve into in the second have of the series.

I did find the placement of the 12 to be quite convenient for the story telling. The final four (who didn't know they were Cylons that needed to aspire to key positions) just happened to a.) still be alive and b.) be in places of importance among the crew. But the story probably wouldn't have worked as well if a few of the final 4 (or any of the 12) had just been someone who scrubbed the toilets or washed the dishes...

I think if there had been a final 20 or such and of them these are the 12 that survived the initial attacks and made it, maybe it would have seemed less convenient in my mind.

I wasn't excited about Kara being an Angel, I really wanted her to still be alive, maybe propelled back and forth in time or such, but oh well.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X