Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointment

Have very recently watched Battlestar Galactica mini series and Season 1. Not as good as I thought it was going to be. Firstly, Apollo and Starbuck have changed sex. Way too much kissy, kissy luvy stuff. And to save money they have invented Cylon Replicant copy things. Also the scenes showing Boltar and the replicant, thats in his head is quite annoying, even though she is tasty. The Actual metal cylons look great. Shame they r saving money on Special effects. Not sure if I want to buy the other seasons. If the other seasons are better then I might buy them. Bit disapointed so far. Sorry if this has upset any big fans of this. Maybe I was expecting too much.

So...to clarify... You're disappointed because:

Originally posted by IanCap1 View Post
    1) Firstly, Apollo and Starbuck have changed sex
    2) Way too much kissy, kissy luvy stuff
    3) And to save money they have invented Cylon Replicant copy things
    4) Also the scenes showing Boltar and the replicant, thats in his head is quite annoying, even though she is tasty
    5) The Actual metal cylons look great. Shame they r saving money on Special effects.
    1. This is not the same series as the god-awful 70s show. (And you're thinking of Boomer, not Apollo)
    2. You've got some issue with characters being more than cardboard cutouts? Or some problem with Tricia Helfer strolling about, being attractive?
    3. You've confused an essential, tension-providing plot point with cost savings.
    4. Perhaps your humour valve needs adjusting? Or you've missed how this is a critical plot element, either way.
    5. You've not noticed that the show is about the human race and is set near-exclusively on the human fleet.

Okay.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This thread has convinced me to start watching battlestar
      sigpic

Comment

BSG is actually a pretty good show. I mean its all about what you are looking for and what to expect. Its got SG-1 or SGA. Its more SGU type stuff with the inner conflicts of characters, politics, and the drama. Some good philosophy and religion stuff in it also. I would recommend it.
        sigpic

Favorite quote:
        McKay: You shot me!
        Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
        Ronon: You shot me, too.
        Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Yeah, it's an amazing show. At points you really feel bad for the Cylons. It's one of those shows that constantly makes you doubt the nobility of the good guys. But I honestly can't say that there is much I dislike about it.

Comment

It's not for everyone, that's for certain. It's very different to just about all sci-fi made previously. If you see the world in black and white this show may not be for you, it's full of shades of gray. The good guys do bad things and sometimes the bad guys surprise you with the nobility of their actions. But I'd watch season 1 before deciding whether or not to watch the rest.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              It's not for everyone, that's for certain. It's very different to just about all sci-fi made previously. If you see the world in black and white this show may not be for you, it's full of shades of gray. The good guys do bad things and sometimes the bad guys surprise you with the nobility of their actions. But I'd watch season 1 before deciding whether or not to watch the rest.
              This is why I liked BSG.
              sigpic

Favorite quote:
              McKay: You shot me!
              Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
              Ronon: You shot me, too.
              Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Me too, but some people can't handle it if a character that seems good at first turns out to be bad.
                sigpic

Comment

I loved all the shades of grey on the show(that was my favorite thing about it). I liked just as many Cylon characters as I did human characters, and even the human characters that I liked did questionable(or bad) things(like Baltar, he was one of my favorites). I found the characters to be complex and very interesting.

I can see how it's not everyones thing though, sometimes it was kinda depressing, and a lot of that(for me) was because people do behave(react) the way the characters did. Even the nicest people can do crappy things sometimes(especially in difficult circumstances), and that can be kinda depressing.
                  Last edited by VampyreWraith; 02 May 2012, 08:18 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I highly suggest you keep watching it gets really good the series unless your not one that enjoys mystery.
                    but as the 2nd poster posted your getting things confused with them trying to save money just keep watching TRUST ME

Comment

also just to add to your last statement their not trying to save money for special effects AT ALL look in the later seasons and they have way more special effects like WAY WAY Way MORE specially in the last season

Comment

IMO, BSG was anything but a disappointment. An amazing show in my eyes.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

thanks for all the answers. I most likely will get the next one, after all I did like the look of the metal cylons...Real menacing.

Comment

Saving money on special effects? I just revisited the whole show, in 720p quality, on my LCD telly, and WOW it was beautiful! All those space battles, oh my, just wonderful. And yeh, this is not Stargate, I mean it's about real ppl, with lots of flaws, dark style and mood, many times without any hope to survive etc... hence I just love it

sigpic

Comment

Mac! Where have you been?

Anyway, yeah. Since the show isn't about the Cylons (at first), it's about humanity, the Centurions aren't necessarily shown a lot. However, this means that when they do show up (a particular episode early in Season 2 springs to mind), it's a pretty spectacularly 'holy s--t' affair.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X