Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Marvel films should I watch prior to 'Avengers Assemble!'? -No-Spoilers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    I believe the only one without a secret ending is The Incredible Hulk (2008). The scene is included at the end of the film, before the end credits.
    I do believe you're right actually.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Personally, I don't know if it's too important to watch the Hulk movies--but if you're going to, definitely go with the 2008 version.

I vote for release order as well.
      Iron Man
      Incredible Hulk (2008)
      Iron Man 2
      Thor
      Captain America

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I do believe you're right actually.
      My favorite part of the movie.

Spoiler:
      I'm just not a big fan of the Hulk, I guess, so I was happy when Tony Stark showed up.
      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I believe the order should be

Captain America
        Ironman and Ironman 2
        Hulk (at the end of Ironman 2 you can see a news report on the campus battle that occurred in Hulk, hence my placement here)
        Thor
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
          I believe the order should be

Captain America
          Ironman and Ironman 2
          Hulk (at the end of Ironman 2 you can see a news report on the campus battle that occurred in Hulk, hence my placement here)
          Thor
          I'd place Thor before Hulk, because earlier in Iron Man 2 Coulson says he's going to New Mexico, this sets up Thor. Incredible Hulk, as you already stated gets it's crossover (of sorts) at the end of Iron Man 2. Thor also takes place over a shorter period of time so while the core of Iron Man 2 has ended, Thor, in my opinion, would have it's core story end before Hulk's. If I had to guess I'd say IM2, Thor and Incredible Hulk pretty much end day after each other. One night IM2, next Thor, next Hulk.

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget to heed FOB's request for no spoilers, guys
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Don't forget to heed FOB's request for no spoilers, guys
              They aren't exactly spoilers. They are very small, and often missed references to Thor/Hulk in Iron Man 2.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                I'd place Thor before Hulk, because earlier in Iron Man 2 Coulson says he's going to New Mexico, this sets up Thor. Incredible Hulk, as you already stated gets it's crossover (of sorts) at the end of Iron Man 2. Thor also takes place over a shorter period of time so while the core of Iron Man 2 has ended, Thor, in my opinion, would have it's core story end before Hulk's. If I had to guess I'd say IM2, Thor and Incredible Hulk pretty much end day after each other. One night IM2, next Thor, next Hulk.
                I had grappled with whether I should place Hulk or Thor before the other. They are so close it really could go either way. I wish there could be some sort of official timeline.
                sigpic

Comment

As to stuff that isn't out yet, there are 3 movies known to be in the pipe (tentative titles, of course):
                  - Iron Man 3 (May 3 2013)
                  - Thor 2 (Nov 15 2013)
                  - Captain America 2 (Apr 4 2014)

Then there's the two other release dates they've announced for future Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (May 26 2014, June 27 2014) that currently don't have any titles attached to them.

Plus there's been persistent rumours that a Nick Fury and/or S.H.I.E.L.D. movie is in the cards. While there's been no official word on this, Samuel L. Jackson is contracted for more Marvel movies than have yet been announced, so it's still possible. A week or two ago, Scarlett Johansson said that she's hoping for a Black Widow movie down the line. And The Avengers is almost guaranteed to make dump trucks of money, so I imagine an Avengers 2 is very, very likely.

Presumably, all of these will take place chronologically post-Avengers.
                  Further to this....it came out today Mark Ruffalo has a 6-picture deal to play the Hulk. So besides The Avengers, expect 5 more Marvel movies with him in it.

Comment

It will probably something simliar to Samuel Jackson where he has only a few scenes
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Well there's Avengers, Hulk 2 is already confirmed, Avengers 2 is pretty much a lock. That's three already, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and he appears in a couple of small spots as Dr Banner advising someone.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks guys, I appreciate the information!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          I had grappled with whether I should place Hulk or Thor before the other. They are so close it really could go either way. I wish there could be some sort of official timeline.
                          The following post contains spoilers for Iron Man 2, Thor and The Incredible Hulk! (for those who haven't seen them yet)

But there is an official timeline. It's in the comics "Avengers Prelude, Fury's Big Week", the marvel cinematic universe official tie-in comics.
                          Thor fights his way to his hammer a day after Stark defeats Whiplash and his droids.
                          The next day the Hulk battles at Culver University and later, I believe that in the same day, the destroyer is defeated by Thor and the day after that Blonsky becomes the abomination and battles the Hulk. So it all ends within the same week.
                          One year later Captain America is found.
                          sigpic

Comment

The 2008 Hulk is in continuity with the other films and worth seeing but I think it's actually the least important in the build up to the Avengers. I might go as far as to say it's not truly essential viewing to understand The Avengers.

Does it take place before or after Iron Man 2? The end credits scene seems like it takes place after the events of Iron Man 2 even though it was made first.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Anyway, for all those still interested, there's a good, quite comprehensive, timeline here:
                              http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/en...erse-Timeline/
                              sigpic

Comment

Really, does the timeline matter all that much? I'm not a comic book fan, and I don't really care about the Hulk. When he goes green, he becomes a visual effect. Eh... Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor; now that's who's bringing me to see The Avengers. Oh, and Samuel Jackson too. As for viewing order... Let me ask this. Will watching the films out of the order in which they were released confuse a viewer? If not, why does it matter? As long as you seen Iron Man before Iron Man 2 and the other movies before The Avengers, that should be sufficient, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X