• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was ENT any good?

it's fairly self explanatory. ENT is the only ST series i haven't seen
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

No. Next question.

That's a littler harsh. It's first two series are very weak but its reputed to get a bit better after that.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

yeah i wasn't a fan of TOS or TNG or VOY really for that matter i've seen a bit of ENT isn't it set in like 2100 or something like that
      sigpic

Comment

Star Trek Enterprise is set in the years 2151, - 2154, a decade before the creation of the United Federation of Planets. The final episode (done in flashbacks) jumps to 2161, the year the UFOP is established

Enterprise suffered three major problems. - 1) It was a prequel. That automatically forced it into a narrative box, one established by ALL its predecessors. 2) It was made by the same producers who had been doing TNG, DS9 and VGR and the TNG films - and this painfully showed. Repeated storylines, bringing back previous noted TNG - VGR guest actors too often, and perhaps worst, contradicting expectations and ideas hinted at by previous versions of Trek. 3) Finally, it was a series that was under constant scrutiny of everyone counting the ratings, the stories, and the concept itself. Usually drawing criticism from everyone. - Regarding the final episode, even the main cast were critical at how poor the storyline was and how it sidelined their characters.

There are some episodes that stand out for the performances of the actors, or the individual storyline but as a whole, the series was less than the sum of its parts.

Episodes worth a look

Season 1
        The Andorian Incident,

Season 4
        The Forge / Awakening /Kir Shara (a 3 part story)
        A Mirror Darkly Parts I and II
        Terra Prime (Part II of a 2 part story)

Episodes like "A Night In Sickbay" and the final "These Are The Voyages" show how awful the series could be too.
        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

thanks
          sigpic

Comment

What thunderbird said is only partly true. I'll have to say that I liked ENT best of all the shows, mainly because I like the darker shows and always found Trek idealism a bit hard to swallow, particularly the idea that humanity would outgrow greed. It's a beautiful ideal but I doubt it'll work in practice. Humanity still uses money in ENT, and succumb to greed, which makes them much easier to relate to. Also, I don't really like episodic shows all that much because they don't permit character development. Archer of the final episodes is a seasoned warrior, weary from all his experiences, while Archer in the first season is an eager explorer who can't wait to see the universe.
            sigpic

Comment

Wasn't ENT very episodic aside from Season 3?

If you want Darkness and Arcs Deep Space 9 is pretty much the best way to go.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

The first two seasons were mostly mediocre, but seasons 3 and 4 were great IMO. Especially season 4 when it started really trying to make serious connections to tOS and the later series. The only problem I had with season 4 was the "conclusion" to the temporal cold war storyline (which was crap to begin with) and "These Are the Voyages" (it was a slap in the face to the actors/actresses to be sidelined during their own finale).
                "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                  Wasn't ENT very episodic aside from Season 3?

If you want Darkness and Arcs Deep Space 9 is pretty much the best way to go.
                  Agreed. DS9 had the right balance of episodic concepts, especially in its final year and was not afraid to show the iffy side of the Federation's underbelly. It also did a phenomenal job of developing its main characters. - Kira is a great example.

Personally I am a child of the 24th century! To quote Captain Janeway
                  Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                  Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

thanks for the tips and what seasons should i watch
                    sigpic

Comment

A great place for reviews on Star Trek, including Enterprise is Jammer's Reviews, which I've enjoyed over the years: http://www.jammersreviews.com/

Yeah, Seasons 1 and 2 brought it close to cancellation, and were a wake-up call for the showrunners. I think the pilot, "Broken Bow" is probably the best of all the ST series. The S3 episodes starting from "Proving Ground" onto "Zero Hour", with a few exceptions, are arguably the most exciting in the series. S4 has some cool story arcs involving Vulcan culture ("The Forge"), and the beginnings of the Federation ("Babel One").

I'd disagree about the Temporal War arc: it's got some exciting episodes ("Shockwave") and I especially like the improvements to the German weapons and the speech given by Vosk ("Storm Front").

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                        it's fairly self explanatory. ENT is the only ST series i haven't seen
                        If you've seen and enjoyed all or most of the prior four series, you will probably like Enterprise. It got a lot of hatred from the fans for being a prequel and starting off in the TNG/VOY episodic mold. Personally, I loved the show. It was strong right up to the final episodes. Let's break it down by season.

Season 1: The series begins in the year 2151. It is ten years before the founding of the United Federation of Planets, the vast government that Starfleet serves in the earlier series. Starfleet is a relatively new organization, less than a century old. The Enterprise NX-01 is a prototype, Earth's first Warp 5 starship. It also represents Starfleet's first starship capable of deep space exploration beyond the local solar systems. The network wanted a futuristic element added to the show as they weren't sure about the prequel concept. The producers and writers found this silly as the show is still set in the future, but they ran with the request and gave us the Temporal Cold War, introduced in the first episode. This is not a central storyline, but it is a recurring one that carries a strong X-Files vibe in that there's this big, mysterious story that raises more questions than answers. For the most part, the show is the episodic adventures of the Enterprise exploring the galaxy, trying to prove to the Vulcans that Earth is ready to stand on it's feet as an interstellar power.

Season 2: The second season continues the premise of the first. If you liked the first season, you'll probably like Season 2. However, take note that this season features some of the show's best and worst episodes. There are a few weak episodes early on, such as "A Night in Sickbay," but the latter half of the season is really good. The season finale radically changed the show's premise. I don't want to say how, though, it's best left a surprise.

Season 3: The show changed from episodic exploration based stories to a singular mission. An alien species, the Xindi, is building a weapon to destroy the Earth. Enterprise's mission is to enter the mysterious and dangerous Delphic Expanse, find the Xindi, and destroy the weapon. Though there is now a long-term mission, the show still maintains an episodic format. However, the show slips into serial mode for the final seven episodes beginning with "Azati Prime." Though the Temporal Cold War has effectively been dropped in favor of the Xindi, you will learn that the Xindi are ultimately tied into the cold war. Really, this is my favorite season.

Season 4: With the Xindi saga over, a new producer was brought in who wanted to shift the show into pre-Federation stories. This meant tieing off the Temporal Cold War in the first two episodes. The third episode dealt with the fallout from the Xindi saga. From there, it was all about foreshadowing the Federation. The producers felt they couldn't outdo the Xindi saga, but they didn't want to return to the show's episodic format. This resulted in two-parters and trilogies with the occasional stand-alone episode here and there. The first fourteen episodes were really good, but it went downhill from there. There was "Affliction" and "Divergence" which dealt with Klingon forehead inconsistency in the franchise. Next was "Bound," an excuse to show scantily clad women painted green while the men acted like buffoons. "In a Mirror, Darkly" was a two-parter set in the mirror universe, tieing into two original-series episodes. However, it was all too goofy and overacted for me to enjoy. "Demons" and "Terra Prime" was another two-parter, finally back to serious business. These episodes dealt with xenophobia. Finally, the series finale: "These Are the Voyages..." It's best if you go in knowing nothing about the episode. Don't let anyone spoil it for you!

Comment

ENT is okay, I really loved it the first time I watched it. But its not that bad! I only wish the intro was changed to the classic "Space, The Final Frontier" intro that every ST show featuring the starship Enterprise has had.

It has a Female Vulcan! What else do you need!

Comment

• Season 1: Tolerable, but a whole lot of "meh."
                            • Season 2: A whole lot of "meh," with a bunch of "this sucks" for good measure
                            • Season 3: Back up to tolerable. If a show has to have a show has to have a mostly "bleh" first season with a few bright spots to showcase its future potential, this was it
                            • Season 4: A handful of mis-steps, but this is exactly what the show should've been since Day 1. If the whole show had been as good as this season (minus the horrendous finale), it would've been a real winner
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

what is it about ENT's final?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X