This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstarter SGU Project

I been following Kickstarter and I have supported 6 projects now I spent over 200 dollars supporting games and books that would never be made unless we the community would support them think of this as down payment for the final product and there are couple of tiers each with there own rewards.

What I was thinking is SGU kickstarter project to finish the story line funded by us the fans.

I want to take 1 game I supported as example..Brian Fargo starter project for Wasteland 2 and it just finished today with the backing of 3 million dollars.

Now if we can raise enough money for the ending of SGU the cast and crew can start making it them self and not be dependent on big company´s like MGM and SyFy we there fans would support them.

I have seen alot of SaveSGU campaigns and people can write petitions all day but it goes no where in the end its MGM and company´s like SyFy that will never pay for another season so we take a different approach we use kickstarter and we the fans pay for it in my opinion its the only way to get this done.

The SGU animated continuation was recently sent a cease and desist from the MGM legal department and they were not collecting money in the name of Stargate. Do this and you probably will be sued.

Comment

I doubt it. I remember one person saying that if they won the lottery then they would use it to bring back Firefly but the creators didn't seem interested. It all comes down to whether or not Brad Wright and the gang would be able to come back to satisfy a few fans demands, and it's not just that; the show would require almost 100 million dollars in order to finish the storyline the way the creators intended, mainly because of expensive sets, visual effects, actors fees.

Personally I don't think SGU is worth resurrecting; the series itself was a far cry from what the creators intended, which was a show that explored the true unknown and suffered from a number of flaws that affected the show and tested it's viewers (many of which went away in droves.). I'm not doubting the people who like the show, I'm just doubting whether or not anybody sees it fit to resurrect the show, even if millions of people donated to save SGU; there are other shows that were canceled too soon that deserve money, series like "Better Off Ted".
      Back from the grave.

Comment

I remember when there was news about SGU's cancellation, someone asked joe mallozzi on his blog about fans 'chipping in' money wise so the story could be finished, and if I recal, his answer was 'if you win the lottery, maybe we can talk' I've been playing ever since!!
        I believe alot of the crew, and cast were really upset and some what p***ed off that they couldn't finish what they started.

Comment

Remember that MGM owns the rights to the show and the characters. Not Brad Wright or the actors.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
            Personally I don't think SGU is worth resurrecting; the series itself was a far cry from what the creators intended, which was a show that explored the true unknown and suffered from a number of flaws that affected the show and tested it's viewers (many of which went away in droves.).
            Pretty much everything they've said suggests the contrary. They wanted it to be about exploration into the human condition, not planets-of-the-week. In that they certainly succeeded in my view. I agree however that the chances of any live-action reboot are slim to none. These decision are made by the money men, and the financial incentive just isn't there. I would however love to see a novel continuation, which I do believe would be feasible.

Comment

I'd read an SGU novel.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                I'd read an SGU novel.
                Me to...I would even read comics..I just want more SGU :þ

Comment

The series was given the official greenlight for a 2009 debut by Syfy on August 22, 2008, shortly after the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis had been announced.[28] Joseph Mallozzi explained that a new series would have lower salaries and licensing fees than a new sixth season of Atlantis would have had.[29] MGM co-funds the project.[30] According to co-star Robert Carlyle, each episode has a budget of $2 million US dollars.
                  20mill to remake the sets for a new series + ep 1(terra nova ep1 was 10-20mill)
                  19 episodes at a generous 3mill per ep = 57mill
                  80-ish mill in total
                  divide 80million by 20(episodes) = 4million

if 4million people each paid $1 per episode(or $20 for a season) we'd have enough money.
                  assuming SGU could be finished in one season. and they'd all come back.

i'm all for it
                  sigpic
                  EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                    80-ish mill in total

if 4million people each paid $1 per episode(or $20 for a season) we'd have enough money.

i'm all for it
                    Amen for that! Lol

Comment

80-ish mill in total

i'm all for it
                      Terra Nova isn't a fair comparison. It was one of (if not the) most expensive sci-fi series ever made. They built a huge complex for the main set, the SGU sets where no where near the same sort of scale operation.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                        Terra Nova isn't a fair comparison. It was one of (if not the) most expensive sci-fi series ever made. They built a huge complex for the main set, the SGU sets where no where near the same sort of scale operation.
                        i thought it best to estimate on the larger side. i gave an extra 50% budget on each episode too

even better if it can be done for less.
                        sigpic
                        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                        -Liberty Prime

Comment

80-ish mill in total

i'm all for it
                          Hmm. Well, seeing as (if I'm reading it right) the most funded (cash amount-wise) stuff in Kickstarter are both in the region of 3 million USD (I spent 30 USD on the Wasteland 2 one, which hit over 3 million USD. I'm probably going to do the same for the Shadowrun Returns and/or Banner Saga, too)...I think that, even if the folks who'd ok a kickstarter by fans would say 'ok', it seems unlikely to succeed. (I've seen a few kickstarter projects asking for less than 10k failing)

Also, It doesn't help that SGU was kinda divisive, in a way (I personally liked it, and would like to see more, but I do get where those who didn't like it are coming from).
                          There's also the question of momentum, I guess: it's been almost a year since the show aired its last episode...maybe if fans offered to step up while it was still being shown, etc. etc. etc.
                          (but, hey, who knows. The first Wasteland game was made in the 80s...)

Methinks something less than a return of the series proper could work (webisodes? audio books/drama? novels?), but that's all provided that the powers-that-be would be ok with all that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ha its funny because I posted something similar to KickStarter but it never got a approved

Personally I think KickStarting a music cd which is the one thing fans should aim for and possible tv movie/comic series which would wrap up the series.

Comment

Uhm, most of the time it's not as simply as raising enough money. There are a lot of legal issues to consider and you would need to get MGM interested and willing to take the risk.

Firefly fans tried something similar and unlike 95% of campaigns which has tried to raised money for shows and failed, this campaign actually managed to raise a considerable amount, but Fox simply weren't interested.

I just can't see such a campaign ever working for SGU. You'd either hardly get any donations (most people aren't so willing to hand over cash to a stranger online, for all we know it could be a scam) or MGM won't be interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X