No announcement yet.

Continuum - News/Discussion/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wikied it again Continuum Wiki....I know I have a problem.....

Here's my theory:
    Spoiler:
    Kiera kills Alec's family, because they are a precursor to Liber8 and thats why his future self helped the prisoners escape and allowed her to go back in time, because without her he would never have gained all the power and money.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
        Does the lead actress remind anyone else of Jodie Foster, twenty years younger?
        I think she looks more like Rachel Nichols than Jodie Foster.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
          In the pilot, someone mentioned that the old government went bankrupt and that the corporations intervened in some manner. I inferred that the corporations bailed out the government in return for the formation of the corporate congress, or something along those lines.

It doesn't make sense to me either. A national government that faces a deficit can raise taxes or print more money or even default on its obligations. But tear up its Constitution and abdicate governance? Not likely.

For now, I'm "letting it go" and focusing on the immediate story. Maybe we'll get a more solid background story, or maybe it'll remain a weak point.

Between Continuum and Person of Interest, does anyone feel like we're being acclimated to the idea of plutocracy and total surveillance? No conspiracy theory here, just a discomfort with these dystopian visions of the present and near future.
          I'm looking at this show as having a similar theme to films like "RoboCop" or "Rollerball" (1975), or even the Neal Stephenson novel, "Snow Crash". The governments are still there, however, in exchange for large amounts of funding, they have handed over control to various aspects of society (eg. policing, medical, transportation) to corporations.

I don't think that the events in the show are supposed to lead to the collapse of governments. Governments will likely fall on their own. The Liber8 guys were merely looking at escaping their prison situation by taking a quick jaunt into the past and and then returning as soon as events allowed.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

I don't think they intended to go back (or forward in time to their present), remember they were about to be executed when they took the trip back in time.

I think they either intended to go back and stop the Governments from going bankrupt in the first place by planting themselves inside the system, or it was just a plain and simple escape attempt.

However my theory at this stage is....
            Spoiler:
            The entire story resolves around Alec Sadler, I think it's pretty obvious he was behind giving the time travel technology to the terrorists and arranging for Cameron to be sucked into the "portal" as well, and it was probably him that sent them that far back, instead of their intended 6-7 years.

Why? maybe something as simple as regret, or guilt, over what has happened and he figures if anybody can stop his past self rolling out the technology worldwide, Cameron can.

Oh and what the frak, does William B Davis ever age? He looks the same in this as he did the first time I saw him in the pilot of the x-files!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              I wikied it again Continuum Wiki....I know I have a problem.....

Here's my theory:
              Spoiler:
              Kiera kills Alec's family, because they are a precursor to Liber8 and thats why his future self helped the prisoners escape and allowed her to go back in time, because without her he would never have gained all the power and money.
              Interesting thought with regard to what was in your spoiler section. So this could mean that:

Spoiler:
              the nice, young Alec of 2012 becomes a money grubbing, power crazed corporate boss in 2067, who really only has self-interest in mind when we see the Liber8 group escaping from the future. Nice twist.

On the other hand, maybe this entire plan is an attempt by future Alec to prevent the death of his mother at the hands of Kiera. He needs (needed) the power and money to be able to set up the events as they unfolded in the first episode. (His mother looks to be a reluctant member of the revolutionary cell to which his step-father is so dedicated.) This would tie in to the mother/child bond which Kiera is attempting to restore by her actions.

So the thing will be, do we see any more of future Alec, or indeed do we see anymore of the future in this series until Kiera returns to 2067? If so, does future Alec remain constant in the show? Or will we see future Alec "changing" when significant events in his past unfold differently from what he remembers them to be?

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                I don't think they intended to go back (or forward in time to their present), remember they were about to be executed when they took the trip back in time.

I think they either intended to go back and stop the Governments from going bankrupt in the first place by planting themselves inside the system, or it was just a plain and simple escape attempt.

However my theory at this stage is....
                Spoiler:
                The entire story resolves around Alec Sadler, I think it's pretty obvious he was behind giving the time travel technology to the terrorists and arranging for Cameron to be sucked into the "portal" as well, and it was probably him that sent them that far back, instead of their intended 6-7 years.

Why? maybe something as simple as regret, or guilt, over what has happened and he figures if anybody can stop his past self rolling out the technology worldwide, Cameron can.

Oh and what the frak, does William B Davis ever age? He looks the same in this as he did the first time I saw him in the pilot of the x-files!

Regarding Liber8 from the series' website:

Spoiler:

"Once captured and facing death for their crimes, they realized their only move was to attempt the impossible. Armed with a scientific genius in their midst, they chose the path of experimental time travel even though it was likely to kill them. Their plan was to only travel back a few years and correct a course that would take them to defeat, replacing it with one that would ensure victory.

This attempt failed on the one hand, but may yet succeed on the other. In travelling further back than planned, they have simply complicated their objectives. With hard work and criminal ingenuity, they can still accomplish all of their goals, assuming Kiera Cameron doesn’t stop them first."

So, they originally only wanted to go back a few years so as to be able to try and correct their recent history. They as yet have not really tried to do anything about affecting change in 2012 with an eye to changing 2067, which is likely a direction in which the show will go in future episodes.

Regarding Alec:

Spoiler:

I suspect you are correct about his involvement in Liber8's escape. The question is now one of what was his motivation in this? Is it purely to attempt to maintain his personal wealth and power? Or, does he have a higher goal? It may well be that his goal is related to his mother. This would tie in to the mother/child bond which centers around Kiera. We see a mother trying to return to the future to restore her contact with her child, and in Alec we see a child reaching into the past to restore his bond with his mother.

William B. Davis has this painting in his attic...

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Thanks I hadn't even thought to goto the series website.

What is the deal with Alec and his mother then? It was the middle of the night when I watched the first 2 episodes and I was tired but I don't remember seeing anything about the death of his mother? imho if she is to die, then it'll be at the hand of the step-father or step-brother (both seem a couple fries short of a happy meal).

Painting?

Comment

I need to get into this series. Hopefully in the next month I can catch up. I've only heard good things about this show.
                    sigpic

Favorite quote:
                    McKay: You shot me!
                    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                    Ronon: You shot me, too.
                    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      Thanks I hadn't even thought to goto the series website.

What is the deal with Alec and his mother then? It was the middle of the night when I watched the first 2 episodes and I was tired but I don't remember seeing anything about the death of his mother? imho if she is to die, then it'll be at the hand of the step-father or step-brother (both seem a couple fries short of a happy meal).

Painting?
                      That is an event which is yet to come. It could be by the hand of his step-father, any of the Liber8, Kiera or even just from random chance.

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

But how do you know that? was it from the website info or did I doze off for a few minutes in the episode and miss it?

Comment

First impressions having not seen the show.

1. The world of 2077 may look awesome on the surface but so does Bahrain if you don't look too close.

2. Having said that I can't believe they're going to make us root for a straight "fascist" as some have been calling Cameron. You can't ignore the fact that Liber8 seem to have crossed some pretty serious lines in the name of freedom and seem more than happy to continue their behaviour in the year 2012. Cameron sounds like she's at worst politically naive.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I kinda like that the lead supports what we might consider an oppressive system. I mean, the lead, after all, served that system and thrived in it...and the only 'unstable' elements she encountered were the Liber8 folks.

Its one of the aspects that helps keeps the show interesting, IMHO.
                            I personally would've preferred a 'straight up in the future' sci-fi show, esp. since I kinda liked their 'treatment' of 2077, instead of the current one w/ 'time travel'...as time travel can get rather 'iffy', after all.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                              I personally would've preferred a 'straight up in the future' sci-fi show, esp. since I kinda liked their 'treatment' of 2077, instead of the current one w/ 'time travel'
                              Ah, but setting the show in 2077 costs more money. This way, they can produce it as a cop show with some nifty gadgets and interesting back stories

Comment

So, after episode 3 I'm still not convinced this will get a second season... I don't find it particularly interesting. Too many loopholes, and possible issues that they're going to have to deal with sooner rather than later in the PTB-room.

And yet, I find Cameron bloody intriguing. Damn you, Rachel Nichols!
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X