Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    What's Hollywood's obsession with reboots?

Disney's life action remakes I can live with (still haven't seen the new Lion King), but life action remakes of life action makes... nope, that's just lazy-ass filmmaking.
    That's all to do with the US copyright on Mickey Mouse expiring in around ten years or so.

The corporate side of Disney are so terrified of losing control of the company mascot, that they're spending millions in legal fees trying the change the relevant law in their favour.

Also, as long as the live action remakes are at least 25% different from the originals, Disney doesn't have to pay the writers of the originals as much money in royalties as they would if they were 100% shot-for-shot identical.

I haven't seen any of the live action remakes. Don't plan to.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      That's all to do with the US copyright on Mickey Mouse expiring in around ten years or so.

The corporate side of Disney are so terrified of losing control of the company mascot, that they're spending millions in legal fees trying the change the relevant law in their favour.

Also, as long as the live action remakes are at least 25% different from the originals, Disney doesn't have to pay the writers of the originals as much money in royalties as they would if they were 100% shot-for-shot identical.

I haven't seen any of the live action remakes. Don't plan to.
      I think it's a safe bet that Disney's lawyers will find or buy some way to keep the mouse in the house, regardless of the laws.

Comment

Also, as long as the live action remakes are at least 25% different from the originals...
        Except that The Lion King is shot-for-shot exactly the same as the original 2D version, and has exactly 1 real shot in it. The rest is 3D animation (and that's why I watch them, to see what marvels they jumped through to make them look hyperrealistic).
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

One way I am lucky is good internet service. Although it's expensive, it is fast enough for my needs and reliable. My primary provider is experiencing an outage at the moment. I have nothing bad to say about them; aside from power failures, this is the first outage in 10? or more years that has gone more than 30 minutes.

But it's a slap in the face when you realize just how much an internet connection is used in modern home entertainment.
          Nothing freaking works!

Comment

Those of you who attend comic cons in Scotland may be familiar with my good friend David Wharton.

He cosplays as several incarnations of Batman (most notably the 1966 Adam West version, the 1989 and 1992 Michael Keaton versions, and the 2017 Justice League movie version) and is known as the Scottish Batman.

In addition to convention appearances, he visits sick children in local hospitals as Batman, and volunteers to attend kids birthday parties as Batman.

At this point, I must stress that David doesn't get paid for any of this other than travelling expenses.

Now, for reasons best known to themselves, a married couple who live locally to David have taken exception to this, and for several years have mounted an ongoing campaign of harassment against David and his family.

This has included reporting David to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) on multiple occasions for working while claiming benefits and not declaring his earnings.

David has in turn taken all appropriate documentation to the DWP, explained what he's doing, and they have assured him that he'd doing permitted unpaid work. Furthermore, the DWP knows that the complaints are coming from the same two people.

The continued harassment is taking a toll, both mental and physical, on the health of David and his family. To the point where the stress of it all is triggering his wife's epilepsy.

Several friends, myself included, have urged David to take legal action.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              But it's a slap in the face when you realize just how much an internet connection is used in modern home entertainment.
              Nothing freaking works!
              Try working at an office when the internet goes down and puts everyone technically out of a job for the next hours, or if we're really "lucky" the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Try working at an office when the internet goes down and puts everyone technically out of a job for the next hours, or if we're really "lucky" the rest of the day.
                You can improve those odds by taking a pair of wire cutters into the equipment closet....

Comment

Idiots that don't know how to handle icy road conditions.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one who actively dislikes the Christmas period?

As I've gotten older, I've come to resent (a bit) spending my money on stuff for people I don't really like (my brother and sister-in-law). I love my two nieces to bits, it's just their parents who piss me off.
                    sigpic

Comment

That is when you buy the kids stuff they will love but annoy the parents....
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

The nieces are both grown up. Eldest is a newly qualified nurse, youngest is at university.

PET PEEVE! My mum. 90 last birthday. Still recovering from a stroke she had nearly four years ago. I love her dearly, but my GOD she drives me mad sometimes. She gets into a faff about trivial stuff.

If one of her meds changes size, shape, colour, or - gods forbid - all three, she gets into a tizzy and all but accuses me of trying to poison her.

She's paranoid about strange noises (that apparently only she can hear), strange smells (again only she seems to smell them, or if I smell them they don't bother me), strange people on the street (we live in a busy-ish part of town), and strange cars parked on the street (people do buy new cars now and again).

Last night, just before 11pm, I'm in bed trying to sleep, and she's in a panic about "The bumping" and "The banging". I'm starting to think that 90% of the time the noises are in her head.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          You can improve those odds by taking a pair of wire cutters into the equipment closet....
                          I have literally no idea... oh wait a minute... never mind... I do know where those are situated.

Comment

The nieces are both grown up. Eldest is a newly qualified nurse, youngest is at university.

PET PEEVE! My mum. 90 last birthday. Still recovering from a stroke she had nearly four years ago. I love her dearly, but my GOD she drives me mad sometimes. She gets into a faff about trivial stuff.

If one of her meds changes size, shape, colour, or - gods forbid - all three, she gets into a tizzy and all but accuses me of trying to poison her.

She's paranoid about strange noises (that apparently only she can hear), strange smells (again only she seems to smell them, or if I smell them they don't bother me), strange people on the street (we live in a busy-ish part of town), and strange cars parked on the street (people do buy new cars now and again).

Last night, just before 11pm, I'm in bed trying to sleep, and she's in a panic about "The bumping" and "The banging". I'm starting to think that 90% of the time the noises are in her head.
                            sounds like your mom is riding the dementia/Alzheimer's express

mainly because all the ranting is what my grandma did as she slid into dementia for the last few years of her life and she was about your mom's age when it got really bad

Comment

Sitting in a theater waiting for T.R.O.S.
                              Does anyone else think it’s time to release movies direct to home media?
                              I’m serious. Modern Home Theater systems give better picture & sound, without the aggravation of going out of the house, endless trailers & so forth.

Sure, keep theaters for those who want to put up with all that, but simultaneously release to Blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                sounds like your mom is riding the dementia/Alzheimer's express

mainly because all the ranting is what my grandma did as she slid into dementia for the last few years of her life and she was about your mom's age when it got really bad
                                Ohh, I hope not. I had enough of the whole dementia rollercoaster during the last eight years or so of my dad's life.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X