Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    How was i ignorant? Have we not flown someone on life support from another country to the US before, CAUSE we kept all their life support equipment with them. - YES!

So what's ignorant about that?
    Ignorance is you not automatically falling to submission of Jel's Lefty Politics.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
      mad_gater understands my peeve, it should be for the parents to decide where to get treatment, not a Judge.
      And sometimes it takes a Judge to make the right decisions.

I guess, it requires you to have been or to be in a similar situation to understand this but sometimes people don't want to make a choice because it hurts to let go or to loose that which they hold dear. I can relate to this in a different kind of situation where my father is a stubborn ass who thinks he's quite capable of taking care of my mother (advanced stage of Parkinson's and onset dementia -- I am still coming to terms with the idea that this person who is my mother isn't the same person she was 5 years ago -- and it's damn hard). He can't and we want him -- need him to see that it would be better to set her up in a day care, or even a retirement home.

It's perhaps not a life and death situation in the true meaning of the words, but it's a very similar situation where one person refuses to see the cold hard reality of a situation that's unfortunately not going to get better (only worse).

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
      Something that seems to be being overlooked is they have raised the cash needed to cover transport and treatment costs themselves, unfortunately they cannot simply do a bunk with the lad like the Kings' did because the doctors have told them if they disconnect him from the machine he will die, AFAIK nobody has tested this though.
      They do know. They test this on a regular basis -- oxygen-levels are checked daily.
      And we're not privilege to patient-related information so the public doesn't know the whole story and might never know the whole story (not as long as the boy's alive).

Unless you have a medical degree I don't know of, you and I can only speculate about the true nature of Charlie's condition, but if a disconnect from the machine would kill him, then I'm fairly certain keeping him on it would at least give him a chance to survive a little longer.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Does the word stable mean nothing to you?
        Yes it does. BUT since it's been done before, with No loss in stability of their LS equipment, (or at least none i have heard of), you still have not explained WHY my comment was ignorant..

Comment

You just did. It's not easy or just throw it in like you suggested
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Very True. If it requires some actual effort then it just isn't worth it.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              And sometimes it takes a Judge to make the right decisions.

I guess, it requires you to have been or to be in a similar situation to understand this but sometimes people don't want to make a choice because it hurts to let go or to loose that which they hold dear. I can relate to this in a different kind of situation where my father is a stubborn ass who thinks he's quite capable of taking care of my mother (advanced stage of Parkinson's and onset dementia -- I am still coming to terms with the idea that this person who is my mother isn't the same person she was 5 years ago -- and it's damn hard). He can't and we want him -- need him to see that it would be better to set her up in a day care, or even a retirement home.

It's perhaps not a life and death situation in the true meaning of the words, but it's a very similar situation where one person refuses to see the cold hard reality of a situation that's unfortunately not going to get better (only worse).

They do know. They test this on a regular basis -- oxygen-levels are checked daily.
              And we're not privilege to patient-related information so the public doesn't know the whole story and might never know the whole story (not as long as the boy's alive).

Unless you have a medical degree I don't know of, you and I can only speculate about the true nature of Charlie's condition, but if a disconnect from the machine would kill him, then I'm fairly certain keeping him on it would at least give him a chance to survive a little longer.
              II can see what you're saying but that isn't the situation here, they want to make the decision to take him elsewhere for treatment and are being prevented from acting upon that decision by the Hospital, to compare it to your unfortunate situation, it's the equivalent of you wanting your mother to be cared for by 'Care Home A' and her Doctor saying no, your mother should be cared for at 'Care Home H' and taking you to Court to force this simply because he feels 'Care Home H' is the better solution in his opinion.

My sympathies to your situation too, as I said I do have a slightly bias view on Doctors and their 'opinions' so my view is clouded, the Guard case continues though...

Comment

And it's still going -- kid's still alive. They can have him undergo the treatment, though from how I read it he's going to be labrat. He cannot go off life support, and his brain scan was a "sad read" -- poor choice of words but probably right on the mark.

Anyhoodle, I can revive an old pet peeve. Fans calling other fans out for not being interested in everything where they slab a Stargate sticker on.

Am reminded of an old manip I once did:

Comment

That means you are not a true fan
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    That means you are not a true fan
                    I'm not -- nor will I ever be.

I'm an anti-member ... and promply remembers the theme song:

Anti's rock!
                    Anti's rule!
                    Anyone else can eat my sock!

Also, I'm a Shrill and Ill-Informed Lemming, remember.

Comment

I'm just Jelgate. I reject all groups
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Got another pet peeve.
                        Back in the 90s, i donated a lot of Plasma.. But after my 2 tours of duty in the UK< all cause of Foot'n'mouth and Mad cow, i can no longer Donate either blood OR plasma...
                        GRRRR

Comment

Got another pet peeve.
                          Back in the 90s, i donated a lot of Plasma.. But after my 2 tours of duty in the UK< all cause of Foot'n'mouth and Mad cow, i can no longer Donate either blood OR plasma...
                          GRRRR
                          That's called being cautious -- who knows what you carry around after those years.

Comment

I've heard of this when I used to donate blood. It's about something to do with mad cow disease. Why mad cow disease is more common residing in Europe I don't know
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Got another pet peeve.
                              GRRRR
                              Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              That's called being cautious -- who knows what you carry around after those years.
                              I'm the same way, but for a different reason. Since the 80's or so, I've been a regular donor to the Red Cross. As a result, it's becoming more and more difficult for Phlebotomists to find workable veins when I need blood drawn for medical testing. They tell me the veins wear out or get scar tissue or something and my PCP suggested I cease the donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                I'm the same way, but for a different reason. Since the 80's or so, I've been a regular donor to the Red Cross. As a result, it's becoming more and more difficult for Phlebotomists to find workable veins when I need blood drawn for medical testing. They tell me the veins wear out or get scar tissue or something and my PCP suggested I cease the donations.
                                some people just have easier to see veins than others too....my mom's been a fairly regular donor and hers remain very prominent and easy to find....however I inherited my dad's hard-to-spot veins

Comment

Working...
                                X