No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things the supply chain literally can't produce because of shortages related to COVID. I'm a beverage salesperson and we pick and choose what cans to sell right now because of the aluminum shortage.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
      So one of my biggest pet peeves is that we have ads here to deal with. Is there a reason for that? We never used to before...
      Is it possible you have had an add-block in place up until now?

However, it should be noted that there's a banner at the top which has snuck its way through the block. I have had to block a separate element to keep it hidden.

But generally, adds bring income for a place so they've always been here.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

However, it should be noted that there's a banner at the top which has snuck its way through the block. I have had to block a separate element to keep it hidden.

and most ad-blockers can be set for different levels of "aggressiveness"....such as blocking only the obtrusive ones (like the ones that throw up obnoxious pop-ups or take up practically the whole screen on a webpage with all sorts of distracting flashy stuff) and keep the less obtrusive ones (like a simple ad banner that's out of the way (at the top or near the side and not doing anything obnoxious or flashy and distracting)

Comment

I agree about the income, but I don't know about the ad block though. Maybe.
          Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
          (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            and most ad-blockers can be set for different levels of "aggressiveness"....such as blocking only the obtrusive ones (like the ones that throw up obnoxious pop-ups or take up practically the whole screen on a webpage with all sorts of distracting flashy stuff) and keep the less obtrusive ones (like a simple ad banner that's out of the way (at the top or near the side and not doing anything obnoxious or flashy and distracting)
            Flashy ads give me headaches -- they are definitely out of the question.

Comment

Flashy ads give me headaches -- they are definitely out of the question.
              the big flashy obnoxious ads also tend to slow down web browsing....and as a bonus most ad-blockers seem to be able to block those tech support scam pop-ups too

Comment

Okay, so how do you block the ads here? I have Google Chrome as a browser, but I don't know how to check if they're already being blocked or not. Any help is appreciated!

Comment

Okay, so how do you block the ads here? I have Google Chrome as a browser, but I don't know how to check if they're already being blocked or not. Any help is appreciated!
                  You should have an extension like Adblock or Adblock Plus (or both) installed.
                  Check your extensions through your settings in Chrome.

If you don't have those, you can search for them in google and install them from their extensions page. They should activate almost immediately. And the best part, you can easily adjust settings to show a few adds or none at all.

Comment

Icy streets. Went out earlier to the shop for milk and the local paper. Normally it's a fifteen minute walk there and back.

This morning? Forty minutes. And I almost fell on my backside three times.

It was so bad, I had to walk in the actual road rather than the pavement.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

You should have an extension like Adblock or Adblock Plus (or both) installed.
                      Check your extensions through your settings in Chrome.

If you don't have those, you can search for them in google and install them from their extensions page. They should activate almost immediately. And the best part, you can easily adjust settings to show a few adds or none at all.

Thanks, FH! I'll do that now.

UPDATE: I put on the Adblocker Plus, and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion!
                      Last edited by imzadi35; 25 January 2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

People not wearing masks then they are shopping in current situation with Covid-19.

Comment

I read a news story a couple of days ago about how the cops in London were called to break up an illegal gathering of - wait for it - over four hundred people.

It was a wedding reception being held in a school. All the windows had been blacked out and/or boarded up so no one could see in.

Questions need to be asked, like how the people gained entry into the building in the first place.

But the big question I want answered is this - how big a family must the bride and/or groom come from if there's 400 people at the wedding?

I did a few calculations last night before I went to bed, and even taking into account the wedding band, the caterers and so forth, I'm just over 100 bodies.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Happy to help.

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                            People not wearing masks then they are shopping in current situation with Covid-19.
                            A recurring peeve these days.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            I read a news story a couple of days ago about how the cops in London were called to break up an illegal gathering of - wait for it - over four hundred people.
                            In Belgium this would have been a 500€ fine for every attending adult, a 5000€ fine for the organizer and a free appearance in court for breaking the rules which generally results in a large fine and jailtime.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            But the big question I want answered is this - how big a family must the bride and/or groom come from if there's 400 people at the wedding?

I did a few calculations last night before I went to bed, and even taking into account the wedding band, the caterers and so forth, I'm just over 100 bodies.
                            Friends and their plus ones... the local community?

Big weddings are a normality in a lot of cultures. I mean, when my sister-from-another-mother got married, she held a feast in her home village in Roumania and everyone was invited to come....and come they did. (this was pre-covid)

Comment

Thanks, FH! I'll do that now.

I personally recommend uBlock Origin and AdLock. Both of these work perfectly for me

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                                Today {6 hours ago from this posting} at Walmart I counted {not including children under the age of 10 as they are not included in the order} Sixteen {16} People, Most of them older {55+} not wearing masks or not wearing their masks correctly.

And people wonder why this thing has gone for so long and gotten this bad

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X