• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean excuse, not logic
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Not far off. Replace the cane with a shotgun.

Seriously, as you get older, you realize something quite important. You just don't care what anyone else thinks.
      I seem to be both introverted and extroverted

I keep to myself most of the time but do like to go out on occasion

and I doubt I'd be a mean introvert either....kids playing on my lawn I probably wouldn't mind too much unless it's winter (too much risk of slipping on ice and potentially getting sued by their idiot parents)...in the summer time though I'd probably say "hi" to them and offer a glass of ice water

and in the wintertime a cup of hot cocoa and send them on their way

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        I seem to be both introverted and extroverted

I keep to myself most of the time but do like to go out on occasion

and I doubt I'd be a mean introvert either....kids playing on my lawn I probably wouldn't mind too much unless it's winter (too much risk of slipping on ice and potentially getting sued by their idiot parents)...in the summer time though I'd probably say "hi" to them and offer a glass of ice water

and in the wintertime a cup of hot cocoa and send them on their way
        I'm a confirmed introvert. I prefer to be alone. Even in things that most people consider social things. Including camping, taking my boat out or whatever. And yes, some people don't accept that.

About 12 years back, I went camping alone and along about 10 pm, I got a visit from the park police. Seems that a group of female campers on the other side of the the hill thought I was a prevert simply because I was camping alone, and they had asked the park police to tell me to move because I apparently made them uncomfortable. I told the officer that was their problem, not mine, and if he wanted to push the matter, he could arrest me if he thought he had probable cause and I would see him and the park in court. The group of females ended up moving. I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up a primo site 'cause they think all men are preverts.

Comment

I've always been quite introverted. I'd a few friends when I was a kid, but I kind of lost touch with them once we left school.

I've a lot of friends among the Scottish cosplay/comic con scene, but things being what they are at the moment I've seen a couple of them in person at the one con I went to before lockdown hit.

Talking to them on the phone, or chatting online is all very well, but I miss being with them and just having a good time, reminiscing about all the hijinks we got up to at the cons of yesteryear.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Idiots who want someone else to cover for them.

I was parked in a supermarket lot, not even in the vehicle. I was walking back to it from the store.

Millennial twit in a BMW pulls into the parking spot behind me, stops, appears to be parked. But the brake lights are still on. Suddenly the beamer rolls forward, right into the back of my SUV. I have a heavy trailer hitch on the back of mine, which sticks out about a foot. Guess what the BMW hit? The "soft" front end of the BMW hits the hard contact point of the hitch, and as you would expect, the hitch goes right thru the grill & radiator of the car.

She sees me approaching and realizes that I'm the owner of the car she just hit. Her first words? "Oh, I'm sorry, I was distracted by the phone and forget to put it in Park".

I look things over, and no damage was done to mine, perhaps a scratch or two on the trailer hitch ball, which I don't care about. So I say "No harm done, but that's why you shouldn't be using a phone in the car, hope that isn't too expensive to fix" and continue on my way. That would have been the best for her; she screwed up, and she can pay for the repairs to her car without involving the insurance whatsoever (insurance rates will KILL a youngster after something like that)

She on the other hand, says I can't leave 'cause her car is undriveable and she thinks I should be responsible 'cause it's her parents car, and she would get in trouble with them. So, she calls the sheriff and I'm stuck waiting for them. This twit did her best to try to blame me, claiming that I backed into her. Unfortunately for her, the store's parking lot camera caught the whole thing.

Why couldn't she just accept that she was an idiot and accept responsibility for it?

Comment

What with my mum being in a care home (had a socially distant visit with her last week, she's looking a lot better, and is back to her usual chirpy self) I'm trying to get utility bills and whatnot transferred over to my name.

It's proving to be quite a task, believe me. Phone calls, emails, letters back and forth...

I sometimes wonder if mum had to go through all this crap when dad passed away in 2013.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                What with my mum being in a care home (had a socially distant visit with her last week, she's looking a lot better, and is back to her usual chirpy self) I'm trying to get utility bills and whatnot transferred over to my name.

It's proving to be quite a task, believe me. Phone calls, emails, letters back and forth...

I sometimes wonder if mum had to go through all this crap when dad passed away in 2013.
                I've had to provide utilities with a copy of a death certificate to get services moved to my name.

Comment

In my case, I had to fill in the front half of a form, take it over to the care home (phoning them first to let them know I was on my way), they filled in the other side, I collected it the next morning, took pictures of both sides with my phone, then emailed them to the local council department I was dealing with.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm sad to say that I've reached the point in my life where people I knew at Primary school (ages 5 to 12 is Primary school age in the UK) are starting to pass away.

We're only 50 for heaven's sake! That's still relatively young by today's standards.

The lady in question's husband and kids must be devastated, but it's her twin sister I feel must be grieving the most.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm sad to say that I've reached the point in my life where people I knew at Primary school (ages 5 to 12 is Primary school age in the UK) are starting to pass away.

We're only 50 for heaven's sake! That's still relatively young by today's standards.

The lady in question's husband and kids must be devastated, but it's her twin sister I feel must be grieving the most.
                      me too....all of my grandparents are now dead, one of my uncles (one of my mom's brothers) passed away at only 5 from a massive heart attack a few years back, my dad passed at only 64 from cancer...sometimes I think I've already reached my middle age years at nearly 40 years old

Comment

I'm a confirmed introvert. I prefer to be alone. Even in things that most people consider social things. Including camping, taking my boat out or whatever. And yes, some people don't accept that.

About 12 years back, I went camping alone and along about 10 pm, I got a visit from the park police. Seems that a group of female campers on the other side of the the hill thought I was a prevert simply because I was camping alone, and they had asked the park police to tell me to move because I apparently made them uncomfortable. I told the officer that was their problem, not mine, and if he wanted to push the matter, he could arrest me if he thought he had probable cause and I would see him and the park in court. The group of females ended up moving. I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up a primo site 'cause they think all men are preverts.
                        I can be nice to other peoples' kids for a bit....now trying to raise kids of my own is a far more daunting prospect...a prospect I doubt I'd have the patience for

and so I'm probably gonna be a confirmed bachelor....with probably no lawn to worry about anyway because I also plan to be a lifelong apartment rat

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                          me too....all of my grandparents are now dead, one of my uncles (one of my mom's brothers) passed away at only 5 from a massive heart attack a few years back, my dad passed at only 64 from cancer...sometimes I think I've already reached my middle age years at nearly 40 years old
                          I seem to be from a long lived family.

My mother will be 91 at the end of October, my dad was 88 when he passed away (that was seven years ago).
                          My mum's older brother - my uncle David - was 90 when he passed five years ago, and his widow - aunt Chrissie - is 90 and showing no signs of slowing down.

But then again, I'm kind of in the "When it's your time, it's your time" camp, and considering the amount of junk food I eat and my sedentary lifestyle, it's a wonder I haven't had my first heart attack.
                          sigpic

Comment

I seem to be from a long lived family.
                            If you ask me, that right there is the be all and end all of it. The genetic lottery.

Comment

If you ask me, that right there is the be all and end all of it. The genetic lottery.
                              Yeah, that's the truth.

There was a guy I worked with when I was in my late teens, I'd go as far as to say he was my best mate at the time - even if he could be a bit of a pillock.

He was really fit and healthy, ran to and from work every day rain or shine, and eventually got a job as a lifeguard at the local swimming pool.

Died of a heart attack when he was just twenty.
                              sigpic

Comment

Modern retail.

You constantly see adverts and P.S.A's urging you to buy local, rather than on the Internet.

But local stores never bother to keep things in stock! I'm not talking about stuff they don't carry, period, but things they do carry and never have in stock. And it's not just high demand items, it's everything,

Today's example is a MicroSD card. Looked it up on national_retailer's web site, Ok, they have it in stock at the local store. Go to store, which is located in a P.I.T.A. high traffic area, only to be told they're out of them. I showed her the printed web page, indicating quantity in stock as 2. Printed an hour ago. Ungh.

On to example #2. On the way home from example #1, I stop at a grocery store and tried to order cat food., (this is a regular practice, about once a month, I order a few cases. Better for me, I have a steady supply, and better for the store, it doesn't have its inventory cleaned out once a month.)

Usually I do this on M-F, but excrement happens.

Walk into the store today and tell the bleach-blond tweener behind the counter "I want to order a few cases of cat food".

I get a blank stare and a "Huh, let me find a manager".

Me: Never mind, I'll come back on Monday. (when the day help is working).

Oh, and when I got home, national_retailer's web site still said they had the memory card in stock. (facepalm)

How do stores expect to stay in business like this?

Comment

Working...
                                X