Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Granted, we can't nor should we do anything about Hydrogen. But our societies have a very strong tendency to insulate people from the consequences of their stupidity. This only encourages more stupidity. I wonder if we as a society ought to rethink that.
    I think society could do with quite a bit less insulation. I encountered a situation where a woman was against hunting, but felt the guy should get his meat from the store where no innocent animals are harmed. Definitely "sheltered". Some schools have a policy of not telling students hamburgers were once cows because it might traumatize them. Yep. Too much insulation from reality.
    sigpic

Comment

There are times when one must be blunt with people, and to hell with hurting their feelings.

Back when I was a kid, in the 70s, you were terrified of getting trouble with the cops. Because if you did do something bad that warranted their attention, and were unlucky enough to get caught doing it, they would drag you home by the scruff of the neck, and - in full view of all the neighbours - Tell Your Mum what what you had done.

Mum would give you a clip round the ear and send you to your room with the dreaded words of "Wait til your father gets home!"

Dad gets home from work, and he would smack your backside so hard, you couldn't sit down for a week.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        There are times when one must be blunt with people, and to hell with hurting their feelings.

Back when I was a kid, in the 70s, you were terrified of getting trouble with the cops. Because if you did do something bad that warranted their attention, and were unlucky enough to get caught doing it, they would drag you home by the scruff of the neck, and - in full view of all the neighbours - Tell Your Mum what what you had done.

Mum would give you a clip round the ear and send you to your room with the dreaded words of "Wait til your father gets home!"

Dad gets home from work, and he would smack your backside so hard, you couldn't sit down for a week.
        And these days, the cops will apologize to the young miscreant for disrupting him and possibly damaging his self-esteem or some such rot.

Comment

I use an icon blocker and zoom in to avoid seeing the cable station logo and pop-up ads. Recently. BBCA moved their logo and ad about 5" to the left. Now I can only partly block out the BBCA logo but not the ad.

Not feeling angry, just a bit frustrated. Besides there are things in life that are much more important.

I hope y'all are doing well and staying safe.

May God bless each of you.
          Total syffy posts: 36,690
          (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
          Matthew 5:9

Comment

Popups on websites bug the hell out of me as well.

You start reading an article, you get maybe three or four lines in, then BANG! a popup asking you to accept cookies or some other such nonsense.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Why don't you folks have generators? Gotta be a reason.. they're incredibly useful when the power does fail.
              Not really a thing to have as general people, though I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbor has one lying around somewhere.

Hospitals and companies do have them in case of emergency.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Popups on websites bug the hell out of me as well.

You start reading an article, you get maybe three or four lines in, then BANG! a popup asking you to accept cookies or some other such nonsense.
                adblockers....use them

seriously I have my browser loaded with such things as uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, Nano Defender, AdGuard, and various cryptocurrency mining script blocker extensions

Comment

I hate when I construction/road work project is started, but takes forever to finish. They've been building bioswales/rain gardens in my neighborhood for the past few months. It took forever for them to close up the hole they made right in front of the house next door. Then about 2 weeks ago they made a gaping hole (its like 10-15ft deep) in the sidewalk and street that's half a block long. That's half a block of curbside that people can't park their cars along and half a block of sidewalk that people can walk on. Parking is an issue in my neighborhood, and it's really annoying to have to cross the street (where there is no light or stop sign) or walk in the middle of the street every time I go around my block to walk my dogs or whatever. There's also the safety issues. I little kid not paying attention or older kids messing around could fall in.
                  sigpic

Comment

The little kids would be a shame, but in my old neighborhood, we'd give certain teens the slow clap for it. Actually, we'd have given most the teens a big thumbs up for falling in. I did not live in a nice neighborhood. My next door neighbor was a dealer. The first day I moved in, a 10yr old Girl Scout (in uniform) popped round to let me know what I had just moved in next to. Such a sweet kid.
                    sigpic

Comment

For some unknown reason, my email account has suddenly decided to filter out email notifications from this forum.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraithworshipper View Post
                        The little kids would be a shame, but in my old neighborhood, we'd give certain teens the slow clap for it. Actually, we'd have given most the teens a big thumbs up for falling in. I did not live in a nice neighborhood. My next door neighbor was a dealer. The first day I moved in, a 10yr old Girl Scout (in uniform) popped round to let me know what I had just moved in next to. Such a sweet kid.
                        It's sad when the kids know (or have to know) where the neighborhood criminals are located.

The kids in my neighborhood don't seem to be too bad. One of them usually walks his dog around the block with his younger siblings.

I think the bioswale workers came by today. The construction cone that was half knocked into the hole, leaving gap in the flimsy netting big enough for someone to easily fall into, was righted. The netting is still flimsy though, if someone trips or they get pushed, they're going to fall right in and probably break something.
                        sigpic

Comment

While I'm glad that lockdown in Scotland has eased enough that the cinemas are due to reopen, I have a problem.

Of the films currently on offer for our viewing pleasure, half of them I've seen already, and the other half I've no interest in.

*sigh*
                          sigpic

Comment

While I'm glad that lockdown in Scotland has eased enough that the cinemas are due to reopen, I have a problem.

Of the films currently on offer for our viewing pleasure, half of them I've seen already, and the other half I've no interest in.

*sigh*
                            VUDU man (sorta like a digital streaming version of Blockbuster Video)...I believe the VUDU service is owned by Walmart and you can rent certain titles, buy certain titles and with some titles I think you can do either/or

not sure what VUDU would offer in the UK though...not likely to be the same sort of selection you might get in the US

Comment

Yeah, but actually going to the cinema would mean I get out of the house for more than twenty minutes a day.
                              sigpic

Comment

Anti-maskers
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X