No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no k it's in jest so was mine the roach part at least but the thing is that's the sort of argument that capitalists use for real ("it's some other country's problem" or "it's the next generation's problem")

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    What else is the oil industry responsible for? Energy to power our economy, many pharmaceuticals, a great deal of our packaging, numerous products made of plastics.. the list goes on.
    they have a de facto monopoly on energy so they should be granted impunity?
    all of a sudden the "good" washes out the bad?

do away with their all powerful lobbies & allow competing alternatives to flourish till oil's no longer indispensable

And you can't even prove that the oil industry is responsible for climate changes
    if you're fed a deathcap mushroom & your liver's destroyed a week later there's no proof it was the mushroom's fault either

That whole pile stinks to high heaven of something I'd rather not step in.
    nothing stinks as much as the 'american cockroach' ^^

Comment

that's why those bugs are also sometimes called "stink bugs"

Comment

hoho I didn't know that (stink bugs are a separate species)

you have them big roaches too where you live?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          hoho I didn't know that (stink bugs are a separate species)

you have them big roaches too where you live?
          I don't know....roaches don't seem to be a major pest in my house (our frequent visitors tend to be those creepy crawly 1000-leggers)

Comment

they have a de facto monopoly on energy so they should be granted impunity?
            all of a sudden the "good" washes out the bad?
            And why do they have that defacto monopoly?
            Because at this point in our technological development oil is the best method of portable energy storage available to us.
            For fixed locations, that's no longer true, Nuclear is the best choice, but the enviros have pretty much killed that.
            But as far as for portable energy sources, nothing we have that is widely available can touch petroleum products. Nothing else on the shelf has the energy density to compete with it. Someday that will change, but until that day comes, it's damned stupid to attack the industry.

As far as the bugs, Stinkbugs are a different critter than roaches, although they may be related. They can survive mild northern winters to breed into the next season, but a harsh, cold winter is trouble for them. I had never seen one until we had a long run of easy winters, after which they were quite common in this region. This winter has been harsh and cold, and there are nowhere near as many as during mild winters. They are very sensitive to temperature. At higher temps, they are more active and can even fly, but even at comfortable temperatures for a human they are very slow and sluggish, incapable of flight.

Comment

Flat Earthers.

I'm surprised this is an actual thing but try arguing with one and yet hilarious that this is a thing in this present day.
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

ah but a good thing about climate & the atmosphere is, they don't know borders

btw americans don't have just have the normal cockroaches you have the big ones too right? in the south at least - you call them palmetto bugs & they're almost as tough to kill as the small ones
                they thrive in warm climates cause they're even more sensitive to the cold (when it's hot enough they can even fly) and now with climate getting warmer they've been slowing crawling up north & even reaching NY: enjoy dealing with them knowing the oil indu$try's (indirectly) responsible for their proliferation
                And here in South Dakota we have June Bugs that can be HUGE, too. We also have noisy-sounding cicadas as well.

As for the weather, Sioux Falls and the SE part of my state got a lot of snow Wednesday, but my city in NE SD didn't get anything but clouds. Fortunately the sun was out in full force today with temps close to 60 F. I think Spring has finally sprung! YES!!
                Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

A workplace peeve -- a helpdesk peeve: what's the point of having a helpdesk when they tell you "oh, we don't know how that's done. no, that can't be fixed." after which you google and you find 10 easy solutions on the first page alone. What's the point of paying those nitwits?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                    And here in South Dakota we have June Bugs that can be HUGE, too. We also have noisy-sounding cicadas as well.

As for the weather, Sioux Falls and the SE part of my state got a lot of snow Wednesday, but my city in NE SD didn't get anything but clouds. Fortunately the sun was out in full force today with temps close to 60 F. I think Spring has finally sprung! YES!!
                    We get June Bugs too, one scared the absolute crap out of me once, I though it was a super sized cockroach walking across the path. I picked it up and threw it through my neighbours window, shoulda heard the screams in the morning lol, most people call them Maybugs here.

She deserved it (she was the one who had parties all weekend while her kids lay in bed doped up on cough medicine to keep them out the way while she alternated between "legal high", sex and uppers sessions all set to a music you could hear in the next town) I hated that woman, so glad she no longer lives here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      We get June Bugs too, one scared the absolute crap out of me once, I though it was a super sized cockroach walking across the path. I picked it up and threw it through my neighbours window, shoulda heard the screams in the morning lol, most people call them Maybugs here.

She deserved it (she was the one who had parties all weekend while her kids lay in bed doped up on cough medicine to keep them out the way while she alternated between "legal high", sex and uppers sessions all set to a music you could hear in the next town) I hated that woman, so glad she no longer lives here.

Why are they called June Bugs?

Comment

No idea, I'd assume it's because they appear in June?

That's why they're called May Bugs here, because they usually start appearing mid-May.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

Like.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          Why are they called June Bugs?
                          Here you go: Why are June Bugs called June Bugs (or May Bugs)?

"June bugs derive their name from the fact that adult June bugs emerge from the soil at the end of spring or the beginning of the summer.

Females bury their eggs just below the soil surface. June bug larvae hatch within 3 to 4 weeks and feed on grass and plant roots from several months to as long as three years. In spring and early summer, these larvae — also known as grubs — grow into pupae. Within 3 weeks, these pupae mature into adult June bugs.
                          "
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Like.

Here you go: Why are June Bugs called June Bugs (or May Bugs)?

"June bugs derive their name from the fact that adult June bugs emerge from the soil at the end of spring or the beginning of the summer.

Females bury their eggs just below the soil surface. June bug larvae hatch within 3 to 4 weeks and feed on grass and plant roots from several months to as long as three years. In spring and early summer, these larvae — also known as grubs — grow into pupae. Within 3 weeks, these pupae mature into adult June bugs.
                            "

Thank you FH but I did in fact look it up, but muah thank you anyway

Comment

A few weeks ago, I bought a shoulder holster off eBay as an upgrade for my S.H.I.E.L.D. agent cosplay.

It was from a seller in the US, so I knew it'd take a while to get to me.

So, every couple of days I've been checking the tracking information to see where it is. Currently, it appears to be stuck in London, and has been since 7am on Wednesday the 30th of January.

Which leads me to my peeve.

How the hell can something that crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a little over thirteen hours take over four days and counting to get from London to Scotland?

Is this what the Royal Mail will be like post-Brexit?
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

It took over a week for my package to clear customs after it arrived from China
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X