Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I'd rather self-order than wait in line like a penguin to order, then wait again to get my order, while fighting my way through families ordering feasts for their younglings.
    Due to lines, etc.. I don't think there is any such thing as fast food anymore. The operators of these restaurants locate them in high traffic areas. It generally takes 20 minutes to get into the drive thru, wait for the cars ahead of you, place your order and then wait for and get the food.

20 minutes is NOT fast food. Most folks only get 1/2 hour for lunch.

Comment

Depending on the time of day, and how busy they are, I can usually get served in my local chippy in less than five minutes.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        Depending on the time of day, and how busy they are, I can usually get served in my local chippy in less than five minutes.
        Well, maybe the operators are a little bit smarter where you are.

Comment

I can get a McSeagull combo in less than 5 mins too, but some locations are cursed. This place, we were 3 cars in line, took over 30 minutes.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I can get a McSeagull combo in less than 5 mins too, but some locations are cursed. This place, we were 3 cars in line, took over 30 minutes.
            That's the problem here; the locations are cursed. Within 2 miles of my driveway, or .5 miles of my employer's location, there is a Burger King, a McDonalds, a Taco Bell, a Sonic and several other well-known fast food joints. They are all located in very heavily traffic areas, commercial shopping zones, etc. With the traffic, stoplights, lines & such, you can't get back to the office or driveway in less than half an hour, minimum at lunchtime. Even at off hours, it's 20 min. at least. I don't know about you, but I won't spend that amount of time to go to one of these places.

Comment

Hmm.. right. Makes sense.. return you know, you go back... okay I feel stupid now
              we just know them by different terms here in the US (and maybe Canada): basically what they call "single fare" in the UK would be what we call "one-way" and what they call "return fare" we call "round trip"

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                That's the problem here; the locations are cursed. Within 2 miles of my driveway, or .5 miles of my employer's location, there is a Burger King, a McDonalds, a Taco Bell, a Sonic and several other well-known fast food joints. They are all located in very heavily traffic areas, commercial shopping zones, etc. With the traffic, stoplights, lines & such, you can't get back to the office or driveway in less than half an hour, minimum at lunchtime. Even at off hours, it's 20 min. at least. I don't know about you, but I won't spend that amount of time to go to one of these places.
                this is due primarily to the fact that even places that don't have self-serve kiosks routinely understaff their places...like the Subway I used to work at...they eventually cut the staff by so much there that there was only enough staff for one person per shift with no overlap at all even during the busier lunch and dinner times

Comment

Well when we get food replicators we won't need McDonalds now will we?
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                    this is due primarily to the fact that even places that don't have self-serve kiosks routinely understaff their places...like the Subway I used to work at...they eventually cut the staff by so much there that there was only enough staff for one person per shift with no overlap at all even during the busier lunch and dinner times
                    Nope.. The primary cause is location. While the lines at the restaurants themselves are sometimes long and slow at some of the places (Taco Bell is horrible), the main delays aren't the restaurants themselves, it's the traffic, stoplights and such you have to go through just to get to them. The only blame for the restaurants is where they chose to locate themselves.

Comment

A friend of mine is restoring an ex-British Army Daimler Ferret scout car - a sort of post-WWII step up from a Jeep/Land Rover, but not quite a tank.

He's found a McDonald's drive-thru within easy driving distance which, if he pulled up in the Ferret, offers up the enticing possibility of blocking three roads and a carwash.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

we just know them by different terms here in the US (and maybe Canada): basically what they call "single fare" in the UK would be what we call "one-way" and what they call "return fare" we call "round trip"
                        Same here in Canada. Not surprised though, they use the metric systems and other random measurements.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        Well when we get food replicators we won't need McDonalds now will we?
                        Poutine everyday, with bacon fries and bacon cheese and bacon gravy and bacon on top of the bacon.

A friend of mine is restoring an ex-British Army Daimler Ferret scout car - a sort of post-WWII step up from a Jeep/Land Rover, but not quite a tank.

He's found a McDonald's drive-thru within easy driving distance which, if he pulled up in the Ferret, offers up the enticing possibility of blocking three roads and a carwash.
                        America in a nutshell; you can drive tanks to get your McDeez.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I've always fancied driving a WWII Jeep, I imagine they'd be easy to maintain and cheap to run. But I never learned to drive
                          sigpic

Comment

I've always fancied driving a WWII Jeep, I imagine they'd be easy to maintain and cheap to run. But I never learned to drive
                            Super expensive though, well the authentic ones are. Collectors hoard them.

My grandma learned to drive at a very late age when my grandad became ill. She also learned how to use a computer at the age of 80, and she became quite good at it a couple years after that. My mom went back to school at 50 years old.

It is never too late to do it BruTak!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

some of them may have ordered already and were just waiting for their food and probably not wanting to clutter up the area near the service counter while they were waiting...not a problem now though as it seems like most of the McD's places in my area are going the "self-serve kiosk" route (this is what happens when the government places rather onerous business costs on businesses...cutting staff and replacing them with self-serve computers).
                              Computer: Would you like an order of flash drive fries with that?

Total syffy posts: 36,690
                              (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                              Matthew 5:9

Comment

When I was a kid, my old man had one of those. it wasn't restored or anything, just an old piece of crap, but it did run. Myself and my siblings used to bomb around the back lot in the thing well before we were even 10 years old. We had a lot of fun in that thing. (along with mini-bikes, motorcycles and any other thing we could find with a running engine & wheels)

Comment

Working...
                                X