Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Things you've learned about surviving the Zombie Apocalypse...

in regards to that more advice don't stop moving
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    If you going to stay in one place, build something stronger than a wooden fence to keep the zombies out.
    Like an Electric Fence
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    Like an Electric Fence
    Then you need 24/7 power supply... difficult to maintain in a post apocalyptic world, with no power stations... Solar could help, but you'd need good battery backup for night time/winter... Wind power is I believe even less reliable... Generators need fuel... and there'd only be so many fuel stations you could rob, or abandoned cars to siphon...

(All problems I've been considering for my own tv concept... )

I was think something like a castle or prison or this Zombie proof house

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/p...ie-proof-house

Of cause you need something big, with enough space inside to become completely self reliant.

Reign of Fire saw one of humanity's last outposts set up in a castle... quite appropriate when fighting dragons! But yes, would offer lots of resistance against zombies too.

The zombie proof house is amazing! I thought I was the one with too much time on my hands...

That house is awesome!

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybrown View Post
    That house is awesome!
    It is awe inspiring.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Lieutenant Colonel

One thing I learned is don't ever assume that a bunch of abandoned buildings/cars are not plagued with zombies. Why exactly people wander off on their own, go around corners without checking etc is beyond stupid. Constantly check every nook and cranny, people should only move back to back.

If the zombies are attracted to sound, I would have some sort of sound system or explosives to draw them away if needed. Plus using shrapnel in a crossbow like device, to have minimal sound and shred multiple zombies. Even a simple lighter and can of deodorant would torch them.

(Why they are concerned with fixing an RV is beyond me, wheres the schoolbus covered in armor and spikes with flamethrowers on top?)

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    One thing I learned is don't ever assume that a bunch of abandoned buildings/cars are not plagued with zombies.
    Yeah... It's a bit annoying too, when they actually are shown to check pretty heavily, then a surprise zombie crops up...

I would have some sort of sound system or explosives to draw them away
    Spoiler:
    They have used sound a few times to draw zombies away from an area (very early on - driving the ?Corvette? with horn blasting etc...) But yes, it is under used... and of course, when guns are fired, it should be a uniform reaction - ie we hard a whole heard come calling after a few gunshots at the end of S2... well there's been plenty other times this should have happened too...

Why they are concerned with fixing an RV is beyond me
    Spoiler:
    Nooooooooooooooo.... Awww that poor RV.... It shall be missed.

Lieutenant Colonel

Also why people must get carried away with looking at something (such as a dead deer) while a zombie attacks them from behind.

Did ANYONE ever think that a farm fence could hold back any amounts of zombies? Why no one would think about fortifying a prison (yes I know they are going to) or military base in the first place as opposed to pitching tents in the woods...

As I see it, the problem with fortifying a prison, firstly is that it's likely full of zombies, so a small group would need to be very very careful to try such a feat... not to mention if the original inhabitants are actually still in situ...

But eventually it's certainly going to be the non walkers that you have to worry about, and a prison would be a good place to set up a strong perimeter... long as there's room for a vegie garden.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    As I see it, the problem with fortifying a prison, firstly is that it's likely full of zombies, so a small group would need to be very very careful to try such a feat... not to mention if the original inhabitants are actually still in situ...

But eventually it's certainly going to be the non walkers that you have to worry about, and a prison would be a good place to set up a strong perimeter... long as there's room for a vegie garden.
    Well you open up the doors and lead all the zombies out. Also if the prisoners were left in their cells when the guard fled, they would have most likely died of starvation, then turned, but would have been unable to leave and themselves would starve.

I would allow any uninfected inside the walls but if they broke the rules they would be thrown out. Grab any solar panels and wind turbines you can, set them up to provide light and heat. Most prisons have a large outdoor yard you could grow food in, plus if you needed to, you could expand outside the walls, dig a trench lined with spiked sticks, so zombies would get trapped.

Not only that but everyone should have to check-in with a central office everyday to ensure no one killed themselves during the night and so you wouldn't have a zombie problem.

"Double Tap"

Though I learned that from some other place...

I like having a place with high fences, but if they are like the zombies from resident evil there is a possibility they can dig underground.

May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

I think the critical thing would be finding other survivors, as without at least 500 people, your gene pool is stuffed... (basing that on some vague recollection from the 90's, may be completely wrong, but you'd need enough people to start a structured breeding program)

Just picturing a new movie idea...

Start with patient Zero... taken to a hospital... doctors not sure what's wrong... lose the patient... then the patient revives... and the anarchy begins... Fade Out...

Fade In on a sole survivor on a small sailing ship... a year or so later... coming in occasionally to port to scavenge for non fishy food/parts, but never finding another human... Is he (or she) the last human...?

(Of course, they wont be, as they never are... just see The Quiet Earth or I Am Legend...)

Air Force Chief of Staff mrscopterdoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Avoid being in groups with children wearing sheriff hats.
    "Carl! Get in the house!"

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    I would try to live on some island somewhere. You go there, take care of any zombies already present, and you are all set. No more will be coming.
    This gives me and idea! wait no, they did that video game already

Probie

well I am a military brat so I have a plan in case of the ZA...
    Step 1 me an the friends I have that arnt useless...(About 8 of them) Meet up at my place since its in the middle of nowhere comparatively and fairly defensible. Wait till infection has claimed majority of victims and cleared out reserve military left at bases for defense. (a month or 2)

Step 2 Two of said friends are military (and smart enough to recognize a ZA and get the hell out) and have the armory keys to the 3 military bases within 45 mins of my house...So step 2 drive to military bases an recon for the least overrun base....

Step 3 Raid said base for MRE's, PX for Ramen noodles and all the bottled water they have in stock. Raid Armories and stock up on all the weapons still available. (+ ammo and silencers )

Step 4 (Ideally) Jack a CH-47D (this is the US favored double rotor heavy transport chopper.) Which can carry up to 12ish tons of cargo at max load and has all the attachments for airdrops, troop drops, extraction, vehicle transport...etc, as well as being armed itself. Or a blackhawk or some other load carrying chopper. Head to an oil rig or offshore local...

Step 5 ESTABLISH BASE

Step 6 Return to mainland to restock (if needed) and acquire multiple high speed, quick run watercraft for stock and supply runs to the mainland as well as a larger yacht or other ship with applicable helipad/rig-able helipad. (Probably a smaller military craft since no privately own boats I know of can handle a CH-47D...)

Step 7 Construction on all acquired objects to make them ZA ready (3 of my friends have Architect/Engineering majors/masters/backgrounds)

Step 8 Search for acceptable land mass to make safe haven for survivors (clear out if necessary)
    some island somewhere. You go there, take care of any zombies already present, and you are all set. No more will be coming.
    Step 9 LOCK & LOAD, Return to mainland (in short runs of course.)

Step 10 Search for survivors and re-establish human dominance

Other details

my other friends: one is a very talented microbiologist, one is X Special Forces, and the last is a very PyroManiac but briliant chemist/physicist with a demolitions license...

But what I learned from this series....I want a nice SHINY Red Charger

Number one rule: Under no circumstances do you piss off rick!

DTMobius - just don't forget to plant some crops, and create a breeding program for the survivors... Gotta take care of the remaining gene pool...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!