Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any one besides me on here read the Ringworld books by Larry Niven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has any one besides me on here read the Ringworld books by Larry Niven?

I stumbled across them recently and I just want to know how popular they where/are?

I've read the first. One of my favourite sci-fi books of all time.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I've read the first. One of my favourite sci-fi books of all time.
      one of the things I like about it is that (in the first book at least) every thing out in known space is typical future fantasy with in unexplained faster then light ships, gravity generators and all that jazz, where as every thing set on the ring world is proper science fiction where every thing has to be given plausible real world science explanations, like how the ring world simulates gravity by the centrifugal force generated by spinning rather then just having magic gravity generators.
      genetic luck is a pretty silly concept though, that's the sort of thing I'd expect to find in a Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams style parody of this kind of science fiction story
      Last edited by slimjim; 06 April 2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
        I stumbled across them recently and I just want to know how popular they where/are?
        Read them so long ago, I barely remember them ... other than having read them.

Comment

Yes. I didnt really enjoy it. If the book didnt have that annoying woman in it, i may have.

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
          one of the things I like about it is that (in the first book at least) every thing out in known space is typical future fantasy with in unexplained faster then light ships, gravity generators and all that jazz, where as every thing set on the ring world is proper science fiction where every thing has to be given plausible real world science explanations, like how the ring world simulates gravity by the centrifugal force generated by spinning rather then just having magic gravity generators.
          genetic luck is a pretty silly concept though, that's the sort of thing I'd expect to find in a Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams style parody of this kind of science fiction story
          As for this, i've heard Niven got some of his science wrong.
          The Ringworld is unstable!The Ringworld is unstable! *Panics and flails*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Read them so long ago, I barely remember them ... other than having read them.
            Same here.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              Yes. I didnt really enjoy it. If the book didnt have that annoying woman in it, i may have.
              you should try reading the rest of the series then, she's not in the other books

Comment

Meh.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                X