Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Sanctuary (by Season 4) not more popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
    Yes, and they always turn the leading men into semi-buffoons. Cam, Shepard, and later Will are all the same "Guy."
    I personally think O'Neill fits that description much more than Cam did, although I agree on Sheppard and Will too. Still, I think that their characters are somewhat more up to the writers/producers than Syfy themselves, although the network may also have a say. (I'm not very knowledgeable at all about how much influence the network has nowadays.)

As for Druitt and Tesla, I'm divided. I would've very much liked a lot more Druitt, because I'm a John/Helen shipper and to see their relationship explored just a bit more would have been wonderful.
    But when it comes to Tesla, well...the last episode I saw with him, Awakening, was so unbelievably awful for me that even Tesla couldn't save it. It seemed to me as though they were beginning to simply bring him around just so he could wisecrack a bit, which in my opinion wasn't the best thing to do, especially when the rest of the storylines featuring him suffered as a result.
    So basically, I'd love more Druitt, but I think Tesla was doing fine in cameos. Having him appear once in a blue moon just made his appearances all the more interesting to me.

I'm not a fan of Declan for reasons that I still can't figure out, so I wouldn't've minded him not showing up at all
    sigpic
    ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      druitt all the time would have been boring, imho

but they could have had declan more, and had him more as a partner to magnus....kinda like mommy and daddy to will growing up.

I loves Ravi. I was sooo disappointed.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Ravi would have been good....just another 'competent' male to be a counterpart to Magnus...and by that I mean someone to bounce ideas off of, maybe that bridged the gap between 'young learning human' and 'immortal know it all abnormal'

I wouldn't have even minded Will being put forth were he behaving more like he did in the earlier seasons. It was like after Kali he regressed to immature male and never pulled out of it...and was never called on it either. It could have been a good point and plot for him if his acting out was a reaction to the stress and trauma of dying and perhaps losing his humanity, but it was never addressed that way.

Rogue immature male seems to be an archtype scifi writers are fond of...maybe they think it appeals to the younger viewers, but to this one (well i'm not a young viewer so maybe that's the issue) but i just want to smack him and tall him to grow up.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

For my part, it was the writing and the terrible characters that drove me out and away at the end of Season 2.
          • The lack of any real central cohesive story kind of put me off. Well, 'put off' isn't the right wording, but it certainly contributed to me not wanting to bother anymore. There's no story unfolding, no major mysteries to be revealed (besides the Five, which was explained about half a dozen episodes in), and no central antagonist against which to contrast how the protagonists are good rather than just 'people doing stuff'
          • Will is about as cardboard cutout as I can possibly imagine. Flat, uninteresting, boring. Never mind that he never had much in the way of stories while I was watching, the fact that he was less a character and more there just to deliver lines means I just don't care about the character. Which is bad news, for a male lead.
          • Helen....gods help me, because Amanda Tapping certainly brings her all to the role, but the character was also dull. Yay, she's immortal, and had a thing with Druitt once. Yawn. The most exciting thing about her character was the very real possibility of friction with Ashley, but that was never really explored and then Ashley got killed off.
          • Bigfoot: Alright, so there's a sasquatch wandering the halls, making tea and doling out Pez dispenser personal advice. Oh how insufferably quirky. Sigh.
          • Kate/actress, though, my god. I was ready to see her die in a gruesome fashion at the end of her first episode on the show. By the end of Season 2, my hatred had reached critical mass and I just couldn't take any more.
          • Can't just blame it all on one character/actress though; frankly I found much of the writing--when it wasn't cringe-inducing--to be just dull and uninspired. Between the characters not getting any development to pique my interest and being really just nothing more than glorified plot devices to push forward one inane plot after another, the whole thing was just very tedious to watch.
          • And then occasionally, it crossed into the truly ludicrous which was so bad it wasn't worth watching anymore. See: the Season 2 finale. When they started having Will do his LSD Bollywood number, I shut it off without bothering to finish the ep and never looked back. I've had absolutely zero interest in going back to it.

In retrospect, I find the only things I remember fondly are a) how attractive Emilie Ullerup is (hey, I'm a guy ); b) Heyerdahl as Druitt was always a treat to see; and c) Tesla. But then in Season 2, they had a bunch of high school drama club rejects playing z-movie teenagers who neuter Tesla, one of the show's only interesting characters. Good god.

/sorry AT, Kindler, ex-SG people, I really wanted to like the show
          //the words of a disgruntled ex-fan
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have to agree about Will, he gets too much screen time. He has no backstory, he's not interesting, he isn't even abnormal... he's just plain boring.
            I would like to see more of Druitt or Tesla, and more episodes like Normandy, about the past of Helen and the gang.
            I also miss Worth as a villain, I think they let him go way too soon.

And about the advertising... well, I'm here too because of Stargate. If it wasn't for it I don't think I've had come across Sanctuary.
            In my country (Argentina) there is no channel that broadcasts it in regular cable. Almost nobody knows Sanctuary here.
            But anyway, I love the show and I really want a fifth season.

Comment

For me, Worth died just when he needed to. But I don't have much patience for 'immortal arch nemesis'

will had promise, but he seemed to get caught up in his mid life crisis and went off the deep end and got mired in immaturity. He just wasn't worthy of Helen, if you get what I mean. Miss 140 year old relative immortal who's rubbed elbows with presidents and scholars chooses a spoiled brat obsessing over where to eat dinner as her protogee?
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                will had promise, but he seemed to get caught up in his mid life crisis and went off the deep end and got mired in immaturity. He just wasn't worthy of Helen, if you get what I mean. Miss 140 year old relative immortal who's rubbed elbows with presidents and scholars chooses a spoiled brat obsessing over where to eat dinner as her protogee?
                Couldn't agree more. I never understood the ending of Fugue when Helen tells him she couldn't be more proud of him and that he could run the Sanctuary network brilliantly... really?? he was *****ing the entire episode!
                Really, Will needs to go or a better storyline.

Comment

Just watched "Uprising" and Sanctuary gets better with more viewings. There's a lot happening here, and I missed the importance of the Basilisk feeding ground the first time round. I agree with another reviewer, that Uprising should be watched before Tempus, since Magnus' fate would still be in doubt. Also, Will did a fine job as Sanctuary leader here, and there was none of the immaturity seen in other episodes.

It would be fun, as a producer like the Beedie group, to be able to sponsor a project like Sanctuary. Anyways, it's fun to dream ...

Thank-you to everyone who's posted and shared your thoughts on Sanctuary. - Dean

Comment

RIP Sanctuary...I really wish that they had not cancelled it

Comment

Working...
                    X