• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

box set or individual copies?

Hey there, xD
    I have recently started watching doctor who and AM ADDICTED <3

.. kind of delayed there.. by 47 years
    anyway, i was considering getting all the dvds for it.. but it gets me thinking whether i should get a BOX SET or INDIVIDUAL copies of the series

i mean.. i dont think dr who will end for a long while. so i really dont know what would be more benificial. both choices have their pros and cons.

what do you think?
    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
    - Doctor Who (series 7)
    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Traditionally (1963-89) Doctor Who was made up of 4 - 12 stories per year, with each story being made up of 1-12 x 25 minute episodes (or for 1 season, 2-3 x 45 minute episodes).

Only 2 of these original seasons have been released on DVD in box sets - "The Key to Time" (Season 16) and "The Trial of a Time Lord" (Season 23). The other 100+ stories are on individual DVDs.

When the series was reborn in 2005, the stories were adapted to the modern paradigm... 45 minute duration, with each story typically being only 1 episode, with a few 2 parters per year (and so far, 1 x 3 parter). There have also been Christmas specials, and occasionally other specials that go for closer to/over 1 hour.

It would certainly be beneficial to buy the box sets of these modern stories, as you get bonus features etc. There is also a Season 1 - 4 box set available...

ADDENDUM
    There are also a number of non-seasonal box sets, containing 2-4 classic stories that are based on a similar theme...
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 02 April 2012, 01:51 PM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post

It would certainly be beneficial to buy the box sets of these modern stories, as you get bonus features etc. There is also a Season 1 - 4 box set available...
      Not only that, but you also get more for your money in general...30 bucks for a 90-100 minute disc or 40 for a 580+ minute set....Not including the bonus features
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        Not only that, but you also get more for your money in general...30 bucks for a 90-100 minute disc or 40 for a 580+ minute set....Not including the bonus features
        The classic stories typically have 1-2 hours of special features, as well as having been extensively remastered, so whilst they do give less bang-for-buck, they are much more work to produce.

I do think it is a shame that the BBC haven't gone with season box sets of the classic series, though even if they did, the price would still reflect the higher production costs, such as with The Key to Time and Trial boxes... (ie at best you get 1 story for free compared to buying the same amount of DVDs individually)
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
          i suppose that makes sense. But im sure dr who will be making more seasons and those will eventually become box sets. it will probably never end xD
          so would that mean theyd eventually have their own box sets.. that wouldnt fit into the season 1-4 box set. if i am making any sense. Lol.
          I suppose i can get rid of the box and just keep the dvds...
          Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
          - Doctor Who (series 7)

WAITING:
          - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

The classic stories typically have 1-2 hours of special features, as well as having been extensively remastered, so whilst they do give less bang-for-buck, they are much more work to produce.

I do think it is a shame that the BBC haven't gone with season box sets of the classic series, though even if they did, the price would still reflect the higher production costs, such as with The Key to Time and Trial boxes... (ie at best you get 1 story for free compared to buying the same amount of DVDs individually)
            Traditionally (1963-89) Doctor Who was made up of 4 - 12 stories per year, with each story being made up of 1-12 x 25 minute episodes (or for 1 season, 2-3 x 45 minute episodes).

Only 2 of these original seasons have been released on DVD in box sets - "The Key to Time" (Season 16) and "The Trial of a Time Lord" (Season 23). The other 100+ stories are on individual DVDs.

When the series was reborn in 2005, the stories were adapted to the modern paradigm... 45 minute duration, with each story typically being only 1 episode, with a few 2 parters per year (and so far, 1 x 3 parter). There have also been Christmas specials, and occasionally other specials that go for closer to/over 1 hour.

ADDENDUM
            There are also a number of non-seasonal box sets, containing 2-4 classic stories that are based on a similar theme...
            im probably not going to watch the 'classic' episodes.. considering there are so many. And some have been lost etc. (though i did watch the very first episode) and i dont really have enough time to watch all 700+ episodes. So id be starting from where I am watching, the eccelston version onwards.

~~~

WATCHING:
            - Doctor Who (series 7)

WAITING:

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Originally posted by iJOKE View Post
              im probably not going to watch the 'classic' episodes.. considering there are so many. And some have been lost etc. (though i did watch the very first episode) and i dont really have enough time to watch all 700+ episodes. So id be starting from where I am watching, the eccelston version onwards.
              Sadly yes there are only 6 full stories left for the 2nd Doctor... and 17 exist in full for the 1st Doctor... All of the 3rd's exist, but some only in b&w (his era began in colour).

If nothing else... I'd recommend:

An Unearthly Child
              The Mind Robber
              The Time Warrior
              City of Death
              Caves of Androzani
              Vengeance on Varos
              Remembrance of the Daleks
              Telemovie

(Disclosing of course, I've been watching the show since the late 70's (ie when I was born) so am a fan of the classic series...)
              and lots more!

Comment

Sadly yes there are only 6 full stories left for the 2nd Doctor... and 17 exist in full for the 1st Doctor... All of the 3rd's exist, but some only in b&w (his era began in colour).

If nothing else... I'd recommend:

An Unearthly Child
                The Mind Robber
                The Time Warrior
                City of Death
                Caves of Androzani
                Vengeance on Varos
                Remembrance of the Daleks
                Telemovie

(Disclosing of course, I've been watching the show since the late 70's (ie when I was born) so am a fan of the classic series...)
                Hmm well ive watched the VERY FIRST EPISODE.
                so i might consider getting some episodes. thanks for the reccomendations.

+ i have only realised that their are six seasons of dr who when the boxset only contains four of the seasons. (2005 onwards). Now i am confused.

~~~

WATCHING:
                - Doctor Who (series 7)

WAITING:

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Working...
                X