Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long would it take the people of Novus to recreate money/currency?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long would it take the people of Novus to recreate money/currency?

the founders seem to run their community a bit like a basic Cooperative where everybody chipped it to grow the crops, build walls and then share in the beneficial results as I imagine any not very large group of people would if you dumped them on an alien planet. 2000 years later Terminus had supper markets, film theatres and diners all of which implying the use of money, at what point between those two points do you think they started using money again? and why?

Probably developed in a similar way Earth did, as a population grows the need for a stable monetary policy becomes more necessary.

Comment

They would start out with communal living, then bartering, and like Tanith said, as the population grows soon a form of money becomes necessary. As soon as people no longer no each other personally, there becomes a need for a "neutral" currency. Then eventually, some kind of tax comes into existence. As soon as a community needs services, there will be taxes to support those who provide services like protection; law enforcement.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
        They would start out with communal living, then bartering, and like Tanith said, as the population grows soon a form of money becomes necessary. As soon as people no longer no each other personally, there becomes a need for a "neutral" currency. Then eventually, some kind of tax comes into existence. As soon as a community needs services, there will be taxes to support those who provide services like protection; law enforcement.
        suppose different areas on the fronter came up with different currencies, who would decide what the universal currency was and give it it's legitimacy?

Comment

The proteleriate... Long live the people!

I would have to say in their early 1200-1300s after being there, they would have advanced enough money was now a staple of society..

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
            suppose different areas on the fronter came up with different currencies, who would decide what the universal currency was and give it it's legitimacy?
            They would probably be as screwed up as we are today with exchange rates, high interest rates and stock speculation. They are humans after all.

So if one society followed Young and the other Rush, does that mean their currency would have pictures of those two, like Washington on the dollar and QE2 on the pound?
            sigpic

Comment

It's very possible that the basics of economics on both a micro and macro level were passed down from the first settlers. The lessons learned in everyday life, along with personal bias against certain financial practices would most probably been passed along as well. In five or ten generations, it would be unlikely their monetary system resembled ours except at the most basic of levels.

Comment

They would probably be as screwed up as we are today with exchange rates, high interest rates and stock speculation. They are humans after all.

So if one society followed Young and the other Rush, does that mean their currency would have pictures of those two, like Washington on the dollar and QE2 on the pound?
                Single countries need single currencies

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                  It's very possible that the basics of economics on both a micro and macro level were passed down from the first settlers. The lessons learned in everyday life, along with personal bias against certain financial practices would most probably been passed along as well. In five or ten generations, it would be unlikely their monetary system resembled ours except at the most basic of levels.
                  I have undying faith in the human propensity for bureaucracy. This society being founded by scientist and military personal, I'm sure they would create a similar structure in their systems. As lofty as some ideas may be, humans tend to follow consistent paths of development. Every generation has "new" ideas for social and political structure, but we always end up in a similar pattern. Cite a system that is better, new or has more equity, and in history you will find where it has been tried before.

I'm not saying that the Novans will have a corrupt society, just that it will have as many problems as ours, albeit different. As soon as scarcity of commodities occurs, competition, desire, greed, occurs. It's human nature. I think it would take much longer than 2000 years for the Novans or ourselves, to evolve to an extent that we can over come basic instincts. We also saw in that the two countries where not friendly until they where threatened by planet wide catastrophe.
                  sigpic

Comment

Single countries need single currencies
                    Or maybe, their money would have Eli's picture?
                    sigpic

Comment

Every generation has "new" ideas for social and political structure, but we always end up in a similar pattern. Cite a system that is better, new or has more equity, and in history you will find where it has been tried before.
                      "in history you will find where it has been tried before" yeah but isn't that usually a result of different people in different times trying to live according to the same ideals, not two groups say coming up with an identical ideology by coincidence?

Comment

"Identical" ideology, you may notice I said "similar pattern". Well, you can see almost identical ideologies (deity worship, social hierarchies) along with technological development (i.e. tool making, etc.) develop throughout the world independently throughout history. Contrary to what was believed by historians in the past, it is now considered fact that many societies developed along similar patterns without direct contact. We humans are built on the same template. It's not a stretch to realize we all have the same basic needs and desires.

We all want to dream of a more advanced and just society, but it's a tall order. For example, I have always liked the Star Trek idea of a society without money. I can hear Capt. Picard now saying something like "we strive for the individual to achieve his full potential". But how does that society function on a practical basis? It would still require laws to achieve equity for all. And there are always those who rebel against laws and societal norms.
                        sigpic

Comment

"Identical" ideology, you may notice I said "similar pattern". Well, you can see almost identical ideologies (deity worship, social hierarchies) along with technological development (i.e. tool making, etc.) develop throughout the world independently throughout history. Contrary to what was believed by historians in the past, it is now considered fact that many societies developed along similar patterns without direct contact. We humans are built on the same template. It's not a stretch to realize we all have the same basic needs and desires.

We all want to dream of a more advanced and just society, but it's a tall order. For example, I have always liked the Star Trek idea of a society without money. I can hear Capt. Picard now saying something like "we strive for the individual to achieve his full potential". But how does that society function on a practical basis? It would still require laws to achieve equity for all. And there are always those who rebel against laws and societal norms.
                          stuff like "deity worship, social hierarchies" and "tool making" happen over and over because they're sort of built into human nature, more modern or specific ideas are not

personally I think a society without any money what so ever would be bad, a society where people aren't reliant on money for survival and an at least reasonable quality of life would be good

to me Capt. Picard's speeches always came across as arrogant and condescending, he always talked like anything other then federation ideals was just undeniably inferior

Comment

stuff like "deity worship, social hierarchies" and "tool making" happen over and over because they're sort of built into human nature, more modern or specific ideas are not

personally I think a society without any money what so ever would be bad, a society where people aren't reliant on money for survival and an at least reasonable quality of life would be good

to me Capt. Picard's speeches always came across as arrogant and condescending, he always talked like anything other then federation ideals was just undeniably inferior
                            I have to disagree with you. My point was that yes, humans basically come up with similar ideas whether they be basic, modern, or specific. People come up with brilliant discoveries and technology within our human perception of reality. History has proved this over and over, because we are programed the same, and require similar necessities, whether sophisticated or not.

I agree with you that although a society without money would be the ideal, I don't think it would work. There must be incentive for people to "work" or progress in their lives. Often when someone has something nicer than me, I want it. That's very human indeed! We can't help ourselves from envy, eventually something shows up that tempts us. So I think there will always be some form of money, whether it's as we know it, or it evolves, there will always be some kind of accounting for accomplishments. We as a race will never get away from keeping score.

The Picard speeches where ridiculously lofty, but I was referring to the canon of the show that they had a society that didn't use money. I think of this and wonder because I always seem to not have enough money!

Have you ever seen the film "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? You should check it out.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have to disagree with you. My point was that yes, humans basically come up with similar ideas whether they be basic, modern, or specific. People come up with brilliant discoveries and technology within our human perception of reality. History has proved this over and over, because we are programed the same, and require similar necessities, whether sophisticated or not.
                              technology is one thing, I was more thinking of things like specific religions, philosophies and cultural movements

Comment

Working...
                              X