Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Sanctuary for None" as a series finale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Doctor Who have the trouble of bringing back the producers, writers, actors; recreating sets, props, costumes; and so on and so forth? That's why TV shows don't get revived except as a movie or a spin-off. Maybe it's easier to deal with all of that in the UK?

Comment

I also haven't seen the S4 ender, but from what I've read about it, it could be a series ender in my opinion. To be perfectly honest, I'm worried that it will definitely become one soon.
      sigpic
      ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Did Doctor Who have the trouble of bringing back the producers, writers, actors; recreating sets, props, costumes; and so on and so forth? That's why TV shows don't get revived except as a movie or a spin-off. Maybe it's easier to deal with all of that in the UK?
        Doctor Who was a total reboot mostly. Doctor Who has been around, on and off, for decades. There have been 11(?) doctors, around the same amount of assistants and many different execs involved in each seperated 'series'.

Reboots don't require the same people, sets and structures involved. They just take the basic idea and run with it - aka the modern Battlestar Galactica. Or they become somewhat spin-offs, like the, currently filming, Candian Primeval series, which is as I understand going to refer to the original British. Erosion. It's a reboot & somewhat a remake, and a spin-off in one (all depends on how you look at it).

Reboots aren't as uncommon as you might think, and they often have nothing to do with the original creative team of the original series.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks for proving my point. Even Doctor Who did not return from a long absence. Rather, it was retooled, rebooted, or whatever... in favor of something different. If Sanctuary were cancelled and then returned with a different production team and actors... why would anyone bother watching? It's not one of those shows where I'd watch a remake nor a spin-off. For me, the show is a one-shot. Once it's over, it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Thanks for proving my point. Even Doctor Who did not return from a long absence. Rather, it was retooled, rebooted, or whatever... in favor of something different. If Sanctuary were cancelled and then returned with a different production team and actors... why would anyone bother watching? It's not one of those shows where I'd watch a remake nor a spin-off. For me, the show is a one-shot. Once it's over, it's over.
            Erm no, Doctor Who is still very much the Doctor Who of old - just different as it is with every single new doctor (it reboots and resets with each new doc). It's what Doctor Who is, and probably isn't something you can understand if you haven't seen the show. And while the last break of the series was the longest, the series has had multiple year long breaks in the past.

while you might think Sanctuary wouldn't be worth watching with different actors, or a different production team, doesn't mean we all feel the same way. Lots of reboots and remakes and random spin-offs work well. Judging its not worth it before it can even happen makes no sense.

you haven't even seen the finale to judge if any kind of reboot would work (not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, just that you are potentially missing important information) If handled well, given what happened, a reboot could be fantastic.
            Last edited by Deevil; 30 March 2012, 10:05 PM.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Re.: Star Trek voyager, the ended was clearly tacked together. To really end the voyage we should have seen them arrive at their destinations. I really think it was a letdown. The endin was an ending

Rather the Sanctuary S4 finale was a new beginning. They're ending IMO are not comparable.

Comment

I reckon it was a series finale.
                I mean it sadly all comes down to ratings.. and i have doubts sanctuary would return since the finale was an up-in-the-air scenario. (even though i wish it would continue forever!)

though in saying that.. i have recently become interested in doctor who.. and i wonder.. considering it has so many reboots.. how did is last for so long!?

:O
                Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                - Doctor Who (series 7)
                - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Because Doctor Who is designed to be, essentially reset every time a new doctor regenerates. It keeps it fresh, different and no question the giant reset button because it's expected from its formula.

Comment

from what i've seen of doctor who (new version season 1-3) the changes in the doctor's actor was part of the show, actually that and the fact that there weren't that many characters (except for the doctor and rose, who they got rit of).

sanctuary with different actors wouldn't work for me, since i mainly watch for the characters, who without the actors don't exist.

and as for the person who said star trek doesn't build off of the spin offs, that isn't completely true. the spinoffs do reference each other sometimes (not to the point where you can't watch it without seeing others) but characters and some minor stories do reappear in following shows.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've seen all of the shows. I know how Star Trek works. I said the spin-offs do not build on each other. I never said the shows didn't reference each other nor feature crossovers. However, references and crossover episodes do not equate building on what the previous show had done. The tight SG-1/SGA progression simply never happened on Star Trek. At best, you could say that DS9 tried to build on the world of TNG once that show went off the air. TNG tried to distance itself from TOS, VOY tried to distance itself from TNG/DS9, and ENT was a prequel to the whole saga. By nature of being a prequel, it couldn't have built on any stories. At best, it provided origins.

Comment

from what i've seen of doctor who (new version season 1-3) the changes in the doctor's actor was part of the show, actually that and the fact that there weren't that many characters (except for the doctor and rose, who they got rit of).

sanctuary with different actors wouldn't work for me, since i mainly watch for the characters, who without the actors don't exist.

and as for the person who said star trek doesn't build off of the spin offs, that isn't completely true. the spinoffs do reference each other sometimes (not to the point where you can't watch it without seeing others) but characters and some minor stories do reappear in following shows.
                        No way! they got rid of eccentric eccleston and rose.. i am only half way through the eccleston series (new to the whoniverse).
                        Yeah id doubt that sanctuary would have new actors.. i dont see it as that type of show.

Because Doctor Who is designed to be, essentially reset every time a new doctor regenerates. It keeps it fresh, different and no question the giant reset button because it's expected from its formula.
                        Fantastic
                        Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                        - Doctor Who (series 7)
                        - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                        - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                        - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                        - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

And Doctor Who's regeneration was the perfect plot device to explain new actors and new creative staff. Brilliant in its simplicity.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just caught up today.

If it is cancelled, I can definitely think of worse ways for a show to go.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X