This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game of thrones doesn't overtly make fun of its characters' outdated values

Other shows set in either fantasy worlds or historical periods like to do this thing where they’ll deliberately make a big point of having a character saying or doing something outrageous by our standards without it bothering them, Rome (another HBO show) for example would frequently have lines like Lucius Vorenus calling his daughter “my property” or Atia complaining at her son that he hadn’t had sex yet or learned to kill people, Game Of Thrones does not do this, for example in the second episode of season one when John Snow is comforting the unconscious Bran one of the things he mentions is that they could go beyond the wall together which despite being an extremely dangerous thing to take a ten year old to do him saying that wasn’t the entire point of the scene nor was there even a big point made of it.
    Another thing other shows set in either fantasy worlds or historical periods often do is have the character’s outdated values constantly cause them to do bad things and make bad choices in their personal life, like for example again in Rome Lucius Vorenus’s sense of honour and belief in the superiority of Rome leads him to have no problem with crucifying people, then ruins his personal life by making him enter in to a loveless marriage at the age of like 15 and make his own children hate by forcing him to kill their mother for adultery, again Game Of Thrones does not do this, for example Eddard Stark’s sense of honour leads him to be a far fairer and just leader then many of the other nobleman in the series and he’s perfectly happy with his arranged marriage wife. Although that’s not to say it fully endorses the old fashioned values like for example Ed wouldn’t have let the seven kingdoms fall into the hands of a sadistic teenage boy if he hadn't been so obsessed with saving the kingdom honourably, or Sansa wouldn’t have ended up in an abusive marriage with said same boy before she’s even had her first period…… basically the series is more subtle and ambiguous then others
    Last edited by slimjim; 20 March 2012, 10:17 AM.

Wow and people say I sometimes have run-on sentences...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Wow and people say I sometimes have run-on sentences...
      I have never seen a 140+ word sentence before...And there are two in that post. Lol

In any case, I know what you (slim) mean, but the structure of this post is rather confusing at best...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        I have never seen a 140+ word sentence before...And there are two in that post. Lol

In any case, I know what you (slim) mean, but the structure of this post is rather confusing at best...
        I use to have this same problem when I wrote essays at school, I think I once even managed to use more pages then sentences. I think it's because when I talk out loud I just go on and on without stopping and as such ending sentences feels unnatural to me

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
          I use to have this same problem when I wrote essays at school, I think I once even managed to use more pages then sentences. I think it's because when I talk out loud I just go on and on without stopping and as such ending sentences feels unnatural to me
          Out of curiosity have you ever noticed that thing where people are just watching you with their mouths closed? You may want to try that. (I'm only kidding)

Anyway yes it is an interesting observation. However it should be pointed out that while Game of Thrones is set in a medieval and feudal universe, it is still fantasy. Therefore certain antiquated traditions and customs, while based in reality, are not dealt with in huge amounts of detail as they needn't be a major part of the story.

In Rome's case I personally felt that the shock and awe tactics used by the writers there were much more in keeping with the tone of the show. Partially because at times it had the feel of a soap opera, but also because yes, the Romans could be THAT outrageous.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

You just made every English teacher cry
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
            X