New to Farscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Farscape

I have Netflix Instant Watch set up, and the show's available to stream. I have it saved to my queue, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Breaking the show down by season and miniseries, how would you grade the show? Is the pilot stellar? If not, what would you say is the first great episode?

I watched it a while ago. The pilot is a bit confusing and the first 8 or so episodes are IMO a bit so-so, but I don't believe in skipping episodes, at least not on a first viewing. You should be aware that the broadcast order and DVD order varies a bit by region early in the first season. The first truly stellar episode IMO is the double Nerve/Hidden Memory late in the first season, but it would be a mistake to start there. A lot of character development goes on early in the show.
    sigpic

Comment

The series takes some getting used to because of the weirdness that is Farscape. I started becoming more interested in the show at around the 5th episode and I really got hooked with the episode Durka Returns.
      sigpic

Comment

I didn't say anything about skipping episodes. Maneth, you're recommending "Nerve" and "The Hidden Memory," Episodes 19&20 of the first season, yes? It took THAT LONG for the show to put out a good episode?

Magictrick, the fifth episode is "Back and Back and Back to the Future." I read the premise. Was it as good as it reads? "Durka Returns" is the fifteenth episode. Are there no more good episodes in the first fifteen?

I can't imagine bothering with the show if there's only three or four good episodes out of the entire season.

Comment

No, it didn't take that long, but those two are certainly the most memorable of the first season. They also introduce a key character.

None of the episodes in the entire show are what I'd call bad, they're at the very least okay, most are pretty decent, some are great and one or two almost sublime episodes. But the quirkiness of the show does take some getting used to. Watch at least until Nerve/Hidden Memory. If you aren't hooked by then, it's possible you never will be.
          sigpic

Comment

Personally, I was hooked from the very first episode. Totally in love with John. I thought they set up the conflicts very well right from the start.
            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I think the Pilot was great. But also very confusing as it's viewed from Crichton's point of view, so since he's very confused being thrust into this weird alien environment so is the person viewing the show.

The next couple of episodes are a little show, but as said above there aren't any bad episodes (okay, I'm not a fan of 'Eat Me', Season 3, don't ever plan on watching it again but it's also very very important to the setup of the rest of the season).

Someone once asked me to recommend some 'normal' episodes and I said there aren't any. There is something a little weird in every episode (sometimes alot weird - wait till you get ot 'Won't Get Fooled Again'), although mostly as it's strange to Crichton, it's strange to us.

I think the 1st episode is really great, after that DNA Mad Scientist is really interesting and the stellar episdodes are 'Nerve' and 'Hidden Memory'. They really set the tone for the rest of the series, although as mentioned above the other episodes are good too.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                I didn't say anything about skipping episodes. Maneth, you're recommending "Nerve" and "The Hidden Memory," Episodes 19&20 of the first season, yes? It took THAT LONG for the show to put out a good episode?

Magictrick, the fifth episode is "Back and Back and Back to the Future." I read the premise. Was it as good as it reads? "Durka Returns" is the fifteenth episode. Are there no more good episodes in the first fifteen?

I can't imagine bothering with the show if there's only three or four good episodes out of the entire season.
                Many shows, Farscape included, take a while to get into their grove. While their are some decent early season 1 episodes, I always enjoyed Throne for a Loss which is episode 4, I think, it's Nerve where the show hits it's stride. That's the transition point between what was previously a very episodic approach to something much more arc based. Seasons 2,3, 4 and the miniseries are all fantastic, but it takes time to build up to that in the first season.

I would describe early to middle season 1 to be decent if not brilliant. I would describe the rest of the show to be nothing short of one of the best, if not the best, scifi show that has ever aired.

Comment

I liked it. I first watched it because of Claudia Black and Ben Browder but loved it on its own after couple of episodes, I began to really like it at the end of season one and I didn't mind the puppets anymore, try to stick to it until half of season one, after that it gets better and it's not that confusing, for me the pilot was confusing as hell and I wanted to stop after the first couple of episodes but season two and especially three are gold! Still have to watch the peacekeeper wars but after I rewatched the entire season again, which won't be until next year...Btw I hate that Germany doesn't have a good Netflix system...have to watch over iTunes and DVDs...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    Many shows, Farscape included, take a while to get into their grove. While their are some decent early season 1 episodes, I always enjoyed Throne for a Loss which is episode 4, I think, it's Nerve where the show hits it's stride. That's the transition point between what was previously a very episodic approach to something much more arc based. Seasons 2,3, 4 and the miniseries are all fantastic, but it takes time to build up to that in the first season.

I would describe early to middle season 1 to be decent if not brilliant. I would describe the rest of the show to be nothing short of one of the best, if not the best, scifi show that has ever aired.
                    I am definitely in agreement on that. Farscape was executed brilliantly IMO.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                      Personally, I was hooked from the very first episode. Totally in love with John. I thought they set up the conflicts very well right from the start.
                      Me, too. I started out by getting the DVDs through Netflix and it only took 2 DVDs (4 episodes) for me to get hooked and start buying the DVD sets. I fell in love with Claudia Black and Ben Browder. I watched Farscape right before Stargate SG-1 season 10 started and when I heard Claudia and Ben were going to be on the show, I decided to start watching SG1 from the beginning so I could catch up and see THEM. (And, of course, fell in love with SG-1 in its own right.)

Snowman37 - I hope you do start watching Farscape on Netflix! I'd love to hear how you're liking it.

Edited to add: It's been a long time since I've watched my Farscape episodes. (I have the whole series on DVD.) I actually watched the last 4 episodes in a row yesterday. I think I may have to start watching the series from the beginning again.
                      Last edited by meredithchandler73; 23 March 2012, 11:53 AM. Reason: More to say
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

First awesome episode(excluding the wonderful pilot that hooks up from the first scene) in my case would be Exodus from Genesis(third episode). Other than that, maybe That Old Black Magic(eighth episode).
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

farscape starts out a bit slow and a bit confusing. There are some crazy episodes which can turn people off or get a good laugh. I think the shows gets really good end in the middle of season 2 and beyond(in my opinion). To be fair the show should have had a season or two more but that is in the past.
                          sigpic

Favorite quote:
                          McKay: You shot me!
                          Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                          Ronon: You shot me, too.
                          Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

The first episode (which my friend 'forced' me to sit through) was the one that got me 'hooked' to the series. Some of the succeeding episodes were kinda 'slow', but were all still quite good (the pace does pick up, tho', and it gets 'faster and faster', esp. in the latter seasons).
                            Since my introduction to Farscape, a few years ago, it still remains my favourite sci-fi series.
                            sigpic

Comment

It certainly stays with you. The story's so compelling and so are the characters.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X