• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ghost of Harrenhal (205)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON TWO
    THE GHOST OF HARRENHAL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 205
    After a shocking attack Catelyn and Brienne flee Renly's camp, while in Qarth Daenerys receives a tempting proposal. Lord Tyrion discovers the King's dangerous plan to defeat Stannis' forces in the assault that is soon to come, and Arya finds a new ally in her struggle for survival (and revenge).

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 05 May 2012, 01:25 PM.

About to watch this
    sigpic

Comment

Tone-wise this is a much quieter episode than Garden of Bones but no less interesting.

I absolutely loved the scenes beyond the Wall. The Fist of the First Men isn't much of a fortification. It's an icy butte at best and a death trap at worst. Being filmed in Iceland may have been difficult logistically but my goodness the effect is brilliant. The wintry storm clouds in the background and the ice in the foreground was breathtaking.

The icy scenes were wonderfully contrasted by the scenes on the other side of the world in Qarth. The tension between Mormont and Dany was wonderful, especially when he was totally friend-zoned by Dany. I especially loved how Prior Pyat Pree demonstrated his "magic." It's unfortunate we didn't get the pyromancer performing his walking ladder trick in the book though. *shrug* I was hoping for more with Quaithe but that seems like we might still get more with her in successive episodes. I loved Drogon cooking his meat before eating it.

Jaqen H'ghar was appropriately slick. His potential death by fire was likely the explanation of the three deaths being stolen from R'hllor. His comments about stealing deaths from the Red God make me think more and more that the whole R'hllorapalooza scene in the books and the series points to this fire god being a deceiver. I'm thinking that he is no different than the Others and the Great Other.

Roy Dotrice was great as Hallyne the Pyromancer--bookish and quirky. I also loved Bronn's frank appraisal of what a battle is truly like.

I loved Davos standing up to Stannis, especially about Melisandre. The more and more I see of Stannis, the more I am convinced that he would make a terrible king if he ascends to the Iron Throne. The Stannis depicted in the books would be even worse. I think Stannis doesn't understand people in the way someone like Tyrion or Renly does.

The music for Theon's scenes continues to be impressive. I do hope that there's a release for the season 2 soundtrack. The music for Theon's Drowned God baptism was equally impressive as well. The exotic-sounding music associated with Jaqen was a nice change from what we've been hearing in the past few episodes.

If Charles Dance doesn't get an award for his role as Tywin Lannister, I'll be surprised.

With the season half over, I'm definitely all for the decision to have A Storm of Swords play out across two seasons rather than one. It's incredibly difficult to have all the necessary scenes in just 10 episodes.
      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 29 April 2012, 10:55 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I can't really add much more to what Cold Fuzz said. I will say I was surprised about what happened in the beginning of the episode. When I saw it, myself and my girlfriend and her roommate all basically said "Oh crap!".

By the way, did the Tickler die by a broken neck? It looked like his head was turned all the way around...
        sigpic

Comment

I clicked on M6's spoiler tag so i knew Renly would die. I liked him. Brien was awesome killing those guards.

Brans dream about Winterfell being drowned by the sea was (i assume) alluding to Theon or the other Iron Islanders possibly attacking there. I didnt like Theon at first, but am starting too now.
          sigpic

Comment

I liked that this episode managed to touch upon almost every story line that is happening in the series. Usually one or two are overlooked in an episode but this one encompassed everything except Robb in the North.

One of my favourite scenes was the one with Arya and Tywin. I think the actress playing Arya is extremely talented. What a great casting.

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            By the way, did the Tickler die by a broken neck? It looked like his head was turned all the way around...
            I thought it looked like a broken neck, a likely injury he would sustain had he "accidentally" fallen off that over path.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              I clicked on M6's spoiler tag so i knew Renly would die. I liked him. Brien was awesome killing those guards.
              That sucks. I'm glad I didn't open it. I'm very happy people around here, with the exception of a few, are better when it comes to tagging spoilers...
              sigpic

Comment

That sucks. I'm glad I didn't open it. I'm very happy people around here, with the exception of a few, are better when it comes to tagging spoilers...
                Tis my own fault. I have avoided every spoiler, but couldn't resist clicking just once. Hand in the cookie jar.
                sigpic

Comment

As Ukko said, twas his own silly fault. I was discussing upcoming episodes, but I stuck it in spoiler tags and even said they were spoilers for the upcoming eps, but curiosity got the better of Ukko.

Anyway on to the episode itself, which I though was fantastic. Each episode seems better than the last too me, and I had only one little quibble. But the good parts first (almost everything). The opening scene was excellent and creepy and Brienne v the guards was great, probably the best swordfight they've had on the show thus far, very well choreographed and it really got across the brutal efficiency of Brienne during the fight. The show looked fantastic, dragons, fleets, the shots of the Icelandic scenery... it was all jaw dropping. Each week the show looks less like a tv series and more like a film. Hell I think we're there, most films wouldn’t even bother to go to Iceland, they'd just do it on a sound stage with fake snow and cgi, but damn has it paid off for Game of Thrones.

All the actors were on top for this week as well, especially child actors like Isaac and Maisie, who had a great scene with Charles Dance. Qarth looked great as well and Pyat Pree had a really creepy intro.

As for my one quibble, that would be the Tickler dying. In the books he dies later, in an awesome scene I won't spoil. I get the point though of why they offed him now, it would be difficult for the show to keep around this actor in a minor part, and then bring him back in season 3 when a lot of the audience will have forgotten about him.

I hope they do a similar scene to his book death later on though, perhaps replacing him with another character, which would be pretty easy, as his death serves as great character development for his killer.

But overall another great ep, roll on next week.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    As Ukko said, twas his own silly fault. I was discussing upcoming episodes, but I stuck it in spoiler tags and even said they were spoilers for the upcoming eps, but curiosity got the better of Ukko.

Anyway on to the episode itself, which I though was fantastic. Each episode seems better than the last too me, and I had only one little quibble. But the good parts first (almost everything). The opening scene was excellent and creepy and Brienne v the guards was great, probably the best swordfight they've had on the show thus far, very well choreographed and it really got across the brutal efficiency of Brienne during the fight. The show looked fantastic, dragons, fleets, the shots of the Icelandic scenery... it was all jaw dropping. Each week the show looks less like a tv series and more like a film. Hell I think we're there, most films wouldn’t even bother to go to Iceland, they'd just do it on a sound stage with fake snow and cgi, but damn has it paid off for Game of Thrones.

All the actors were on top for this week as well, especially child actors like Isaac and Maisie, who had a great scene with Charles Dance. Qarth looked great as well and Pyat Pree had a really creepy intro.

As for my one quibble, that would be the Tickler dying. In the books he dies later, in an awesome scene I won't spoil. I get the point though of why they offed him now, it would be difficult for the show to keep around this actor in a minor part, and then bring him back in season 3 when a lot of the audience will have forgotten about him.

I hope they do a similar scene to his book death later on though, perhaps replacing him with another character, which would be pretty easy, as his death serves as great character development for his killer.

But overall another great ep, roll on next week.
                    M6, since the producers scragged the Tickler now...

Spoiler:
                    ...they might move up Arya's stabbing scene to this season. I can picture her getting Needle back from Polliver during the Harrenhal uprising and really sticking it to 'im. Whatever they decide, I do hope they decide to keep the scene with Arya stabbing somebody. I think it's a huge defining moment for her character, especially how it's a stepping stone to go to Braavos and sign on with the House of Black and White. I really hope they don't drop this from her character.

On a lighter note about Arya, OK was she totally checking out Gendry working at the forge or what?
                    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 30 April 2012, 02:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      M6, since the producers scragged the Tickler now...

Spoiler:
                      ...they might move up Arya's stabbing scene to this season. I can picture her getting Needle back from Polliver during the Harrenhal uprising and really sticking it to 'im. Whatever they decide, I do hope they decide to keep the scene with Arya stabbing somebody. I think it's a huge defining moment for her character, especially how it's a stepping stone to go to Braavos and sign on with the House of Black and White. I really hope they don't drop this from her character.

On a lighter note about Arya, OK was she totally checking out Gendry working at the forge or what?
                      I don't see why they would, it is a major character development point for her and sets the tone for where her journey takes her.

And yea she definitely was.
                      Spoiler:
                      I'm banking on them ending up together. I mean at least someone deserves a happy ending.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post

Dude, I'm straight and I was checking Gendry out...Lol
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                          I don't see why they would, it is a major character development point for her and sets the tone for where her journey takes her.
                          If it gets pushed to this season, I hope it's as cathartic as I imagined in the book.

And yea she definitely was.
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm banking on them ending up together. I mean at least someone deserves a happy ending.
                          Spoiler:
                          I've been hoping they end up together since the two of them started off for the Wall together. Even with Arya's strange travels in Braavos, I can still picture her ending up with him and having it work out.

Dude, I'm straight and I was checking Gendry out...Lol
                          I'm not... and I was checking him out as much as Arya was.
                          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 30 April 2012, 07:22 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wont....click....spoilers!

I think we all checked Gendry out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                              Wont....click....spoilers!
                              Use the force!

Just so happens that this one isn't that bad but that is all I will say
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X