Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you notice there where no farm animals on Novus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you notice there where no farm animals on Novus?

would it be possible for a society of over 100 people to function without any meat, eggs or milk?

I didn't see a sun either so therefore it must not have existed for them?

Comment

Vegetarians do it all the time.

Comment

they wouldn't have "farm" animals since they were the decadence of the crew. but there could have been life already on the planet, that they could use for food and labor. and as hedwig pointed out they could have been vegetarians.
        sigpic

Comment

They could have taken any important livestock with them or the animals left could have been in an area we didn't see

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Vegetarians do it all the time.
            that's vegans and don't they have to take Protein supplements?

Comment

Novus is my Favourite planet in all Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                they wouldn't have "farm" animals since they were the decadence of the crew. but there could have been life already on the planet, that they could use for food and labor. and as hedwig pointed out they could have been vegetarians.
                I was suggesting that they'd domesticate some local herbivorous, also I can't imagine a society made up of over a third american Military personal would be vegan

Comment

They might have had domesticated some local animals, but we just didn't see them.

Maybe they(tptb) didn't have enough left in their budget to create cg alien cows and chickens.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with VampyreWraith.
                    Perhaps they domesticated some local animals. And that they weren't shown for budget reasons.
                    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                    To thy own self... Be true
                    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                      the animals left could have been in an area we didn't see
                      but we saw the entire settlement from above.... or are we to believe after a mere 70 odd years their population had grown sufficiently for them to have well defined urban and rural areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                        I agree with VampyreWraith.
                        Perhaps they domesticated some local animals. And that they weren't shown for budget reasons.
                        Yea.. perhaps they went back to the planet rush got that heard of beasts to pummel Simeon, and grabbed some.

Comment

but we saw the entire settlement from above.... or are we to believe after a mere 70 odd years their population had grown sufficiently for them to have well defined urban and rural areas
                          initially they'd graze on grasslands, probably away from the settlement. later on, those would've grown out to farms, leaving them out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                            that's vegans
                            Not necessarily - You forget a major animal byproduct that vegans generally avoid; honey. So if they had some version of that and they were eating it, they arguably wouldn't be vegans. Granted, the prospect of finding a type of insect that produces something similar on an alien planet is kind of silly. But, who knows what new edible animal byproducts they could find a new world outside of eggs and dairy.

Although I'm not sure why they'd be limited to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle if they didn't have livestock (which I doubt they were just because they weren't seen). The absence of them wouldn't preclude that they sometimes supplemented their food supply by eating insects, hunting wildlife, or fishing. That's not to say that they'd necessarily be able to get enough meat that way to regularly feed their growing population. But, at the least, they'd be able to add it to their diet from time to time.

and don't they have to take Protein supplements?
                            No, it's not that difficult to get the appropriate amount of protein from a varied, plant based diet (at least with the kind of foods found on earth). Actually, the average meat eater supposedly gets too much protein and that results in its own set of health risks. But some people don't realize that and think it's a bad thing that vegans/vegetarians get less even though, unless they're one of those people who don't know how to prepare very many dishes and just keep eating the same few things over and over again, they're probably just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                              Not necessarily - You forget a major animal byproduct that vegans generally avoid; honey. So if they had some version of that and they were eating it, they arguably wouldn't be vegans. Granted, the prospect of finding a type of insect that produces something similar on an alien planet is kind of silly. But, who knows what new edible animal byproducts they could find a new world outside of eggs and dairy.

Although I'm not sure why they'd be limited to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle if they didn't have livestock (which I doubt they were just because they weren't seen). The absence of them wouldn't preclude that they sometimes supplemented their food supply by eating insects, hunting wildlife, or fishing. That's not to say that they'd necessarily be able to get enough meat that way to regularly feed their growing population. But, at the least, they'd be able to add it to their diet from time to time.

No, it's not that difficult to get the appropriate amount of protein from a varied, plant based diet (at least with the kind of foods found on earth). Actually, the average meat eater supposedly gets too much protein and that results in its own set of health risks. But some people don't realize that and think it's a bad thing that vegans/vegetarians get less even though, unless they're one of those people who don't know how to prepare very many dishes and just keep eating the same few things over and over again, they're probably just fine.
                              are you saying there's no objective physical health advantage to eating meat?

Comment

Working...
                              X