• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Short Story About Love (415)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE SEASON FOUR
    A SHORT STORY ABOUT LOVE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 415

A murderer targets couples in love, extracting concentrated pheromones from the men in order to create a personal moment with their significant others. Meanwhile, Peter discovers that the Observer left him a hidden message.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 28 April 2015, 11:50 AM.

Ona Grauer!

The spinny bullet thing from Season 1! That was an unexpected development! I wonder who was trapped in Season 1? Was it September through this timeline somehow? Or what?

One of a number of things I found really neat was after they'd captured burn face guy and Olivia was talking to him in the back of the car. When there were full on face shots of him he had his ruined face, but the reverse angle (looking back at Olivia), he had his normal face. Great touch.

Blair Brown's (Nina's) acting toward the end was fantastic too, when Olivia was telling her that she's going to embrace the memories. A real glimpse of acting greatness there; that look of unspoken hurt on her face, knowing that her 'daughter' was completely turning her back on her for the unknown.

An interesting choice to end though. I wonder if we should expect, as I've been pondering for some time now, if Peter's existence in the Orange timeline will continue to bleed the timelines of the old universes back out into this one the longer he's here. We've seen it to a large degree now with Olivia, and basically Walter too (the two people closest to him). Will things continue to look more and more like the Blue/Red universes slowly as time goes on?

Only really two gripes, both of them fairly minor:
    • a little bit of lazy location scouting in this one. It was pretty obvious that for Peter finding the bullet thing they'd pretty much just walked 20 feet over from where they filmed decaying guy taking peoples' pictures for them
    • the 'case' story of this episode, despite being justified as a twisted pursuit of love, was really a deeply disturbing story essentially about a twisted person trying to perfect emotional (and presumably eventually physical as its outcome) rape. I suppose it didn't really detract from the story, but I kind of felt that the writers misunderstood their own piece here
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

interesting episode ofc, Peter reappearing etc being based on emotional connection (cortexiphan as well I guess) oh that pesky machine

it strikes me that Walter should remember as well, which has been hinted at, although would he realise it

but yeh the whole pod thing was interesting, they did seem like beacons of some sort but the way September explained it, maybe they are beacons in time to help the observers move around, I don't necessarily think they are there to trap people, he just needed to get back through one

Comment

I was eating dinner while watching this episode.

yeuck.

I miss the blue coming on. Maybe next week it'll be back.
        Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Enjoyable episode. I enjoyed seeing Peter and Olivia running to each other. I know its mega cheese...but the world can always use a little bit more love.
          sigpic

Comment

I just knew that my wife was going to love the end of this episode. She has wanted the two of them to just be together and happy for some time now.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              I just knew that my wife was going to love the end of this episode. She has wanted the two of them to just be together and happy for some time now.
              Yeah...but I did feel sorry for Nina
              sigpic

Comment

A new low for science in Fringe. A camera that can see light particles? A pheromone that we can not only detect, but can take over us? But no, that was only a taster. For the grand finale - how has Peter come back? Love. Seriously, that's just pathetic. As supernatural cop-outs go, that's up there with Lost and BSG. Very disappointed to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  Yeah...but I did feel sorry for Nina
                  I get that. I kind of did too.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I wasn't at all sure about this episode at the start, since it looked at first as though it was going to be a standard 'filler' episode. (Not a criticism of filler episodes, almost every show uses them to move time on between more significant/exciting events!)

I was pleasantly surprised, though, particularly as the interactions with September near the end cleared up, at least in my head, where Peter actually is. I was pretty sure that he was in his original universe, but in a different timeline. Previous episodes had Observers saying pretty much that, but in some online discussions other folk had suggested that he was in another (third) universe, and when Peter kept talking about how he needed to get home, and 'his' Olivia was still out there somewhere...I was getting in a bit of a tangle. (I was pretty sure that the timeline had been altered, and he had no home to go to!) But September seems to have cleared up that Peter is *already* home, that this really is his Olivia (Our Olivia!) and the person he should be with.
                    Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    An interesting choice to end though. I wonder if we should expect, as I've been pondering for some time now, if Peter's existence in the Orange timeline will continue to bleed the timelines of the old universes back out into this one the longer he's here. We've seen it to a large degree now with Olivia, and basically Walter too (the two people closest to him). Will things continue to look more and more like the Blue/Red universes slowly as time goes on?
                    I was talking about that to my Fringe-loving friend yesterday as I gobbled my way through the most recent 4 episodes.
                    Specifically, I was wondering why Walter wasn't at least starting to have a similar reaction to Olivia, and getting BlueWalter's memories. If the reason Peter couldn't be erased was because of the strong emotional connections to the people who loved him, shouldn't all of them be having a similar response, if not necessarily as all-consuming as the one Olivia is having? (She *is* in love with him, so you would expect her reaction to be more intense.)
                    I think it would be interesting if this started to 'spread' out to other people...
                    But they've lived completely different lives - so what repercussions might it have? Would it only happen to people who were particularly close to Peter, or have a knock-on effect through the 2 universes? Or would we end up with a blend of the 2 - a Blue/Orange mix? (What would that be, Beige? )

Comment

Working...
                    X