Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if they reboot Stargate with a continuation of the 1994 movie?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if they reboot Stargate with a continuation of the 1994 movie?

Would you like it? A reboot of the franchise isn't that farfetched and I think starting it with a continuation of the original 1994 movie would be a great idea. After all the concept for a trilogy already exists thanks to Emmerich and Devling but it's an untold tale. The continuation wouldn't necessarily be the two movie sequels that these two planned, mind you. It could be the same concept but adapted into a new TV series or a series of straight-to-DVDs.

Thoughts?

There've been various rumors floating around that Deving wants to make a second film, totally ignoring the franchise as we know it, but they are just rumors and nothing seems to come out of it.
    Personally, I'd find it quite hard forgetting SG1, SGA and SGU for the sake of a movie. And don't think I'd like it, but that's just me!

Comment

Look - I'll watch anything that has the name Stargate in it. Heck - I'm rewatching the whole thing again now with my kids (me for about the 4th time).

But - personally - I would not like to see them just start fresh from after the 1994 movie as if none of the rest happened. Going back to their completely ignorant level would be frustrating at best. And I don't think enough fanatics are out there to drive such a thing to stay - otherwise we would still have SG1 prancing around the universe.

No - I think something new would need to encapsulate the existing knowledge and take a fresh look at it from there. Something maybe a few hundred or even a thousand years in the future.

Alternatively - I did voice support in another thread for the concept of a storyline around the time of the Ancients - millions of years ago. Thats about the only way I think you could forget the current series.

Comment

Divulgent timelines are a possibility- just look at the Star Trek reboot for an example of how successful it can be.

There are actually Stargate books based on Delvin's original idea- no reason why they couldn't be made into a movie, if the studio were brave enough.
        To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
        http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
        http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Would you rather have a sequel to the 1994 stargate movie or no stargate at all? Thats our choices. I vote for whatever stargate we can get.
          sigpic

Comment

One thing I would like to know, if Emmerich and Devlin had planned a trilogy, why did they end the original movie with "THE END"?
            sigpic
            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
            Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

umm, isnt SG-1--specifically, children of the gods--a direct sequel to the Motion Picture?

Comment

To be honest I would rather see a complete reboot than the continuation of the 1994 film.

Would essentially need a new cast anyway as a lot of those who starred in the 1994 film might not want to return their role, are too old or look nothing like they did 18 years ago etc.

Comment

Terminator split off into two divergent timelines. You can follow the movies or the TV series which follows the second movie and splits off into a different direction, ignoring the third movie. The fourth movie followed on from the third movie rather than the TV series. There's no reason why Stargate can't do the same. Honestly, though, I just don't think Stargate has that kind of recognition where the general public will care if it returns. They think of Stargate as the movie with Kurt Russell or that TV show with "MacGyver." Really, there are only three options I foresee. Let it go, try to continue Brad Wright's world (best to ignore SGU), or remake the 1994 movie with some reimagined elements of SG-1 mixed in.

Comment

the cool thing about stargate is that while it aint mainstream, its rather vast history on tv automatically has it as a success in the eyes of studios, MGM might be prone to ressurecting it to just have a safe foothold on tv. SGU failed to attract only for it's somber tone, as it's not the quality of the show that determines what becomes popular on syfy that much should be obvious by now. Any sg-1 type show, no matter how fluffy will become a hit, as it beats the hell out of watching whatever they have on now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                      the cool thing about stargate is that while it aint mainstream, its rather vast history on tv automatically has it as a success in the eyes of studios, MGM might be prone to ressurecting it to just have a safe foothold on tv.
                      SciFi cancelled SGU, MGM sold and auctioned everything off, and MGM let everyone go. That pretty much screams that MGM has lost faith in Stargate and is moving on to other projects. I don't know how anyone can reach any other conclusion based on past events.

as it's not the quality of the show that determines what becomes popular on syfy that much should be obvious by now.
                      Agreed. Firefly and Surface are a prime examples of this. Brilliant shows cancelled before their time. Firefly was cancelled, because FOX just didn't get it. Airing episodes out of order and moving the time slot around didn't help. I don't know why Surface was cancelled, but I'd gather for being too expensive.

Any sg-1 type show, no matter how fluffy will become a hit, as it beats the hell out of watching whatever they have on now.
                      Fluffy? By SG-1 type, I presume you mean adventure-based? For me, that was what killed SGU. It wasn't about the adventure, it was about people crying about going home and arguing over who's in charge. I want to see adventures, not whiny EMO's. Star Trek: Voyager was far more adult in this matter. Everyone simply accepted the situation and dealt with it like adults.

Comment

I don't think I'd watch them. I really wasn't a big fan of the 1994 film to begin with.
                        In fact I avoided SG1 at first because of that. Thankfully my GF eventually knocked some sense into me.

Comment

I certainly would have to at least check it out if it happened. Curiosity, you know.
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

Another stargate movie and series reboot would be great!

Just make sure alien worlds look alien/original, and they should also speak alien languages
                            Last edited by Vancho; 09 March 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

If it's a movie, they'll take that extra step to make alien worlds actually look alien with aliens actually speaking an alien language. If it's a TV series, it's going to be on a TV budget with TV pacing, meaning... Earth-looking alien worlds where aliens speak English.

Comment

Working...
                              X