No announcement yet.

Heart of Darkness (116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally watched this today, and I loved the episode. I loved Snow chasing the little bird around with the broom, loved the intervention scene. I lol'd when Gold offered Mary Margaret his legal services(mostly because of the way Emma looked at him). I loved Red turing into a wolf, buying Charming some time. I loved the scene between David and Regina in her office.

The scene towards the end where Gold tells Emma that she could beat Regina was interesting, and so was the scene where Gold puts together the strands of of Snow and Charming's hair.

I tend to like manipulative characters/villians on tv shows and in books lol(especially when they are well developed and have reasons for their actions). I just find them and how the other characters deal with them(and their plans) interesting. (Real life is a whole other thing lol, I hate manipulators in RL, and I've known quite a few.) Sometimes it can get annoying though, if the manipulations go on to too long and no one notices, or if it isn't balanced out by the actions of another character(s). So far I like how things are going on this show.
    sigpic

Comment

I was blown away by this episode!!! It was BRILLIANTLY done and i loved all the Rumpelstiltskin/Gold scene's the most!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
        Lots of other details, like when Regina was telling David how one could stare face to face with evil and never realize it.. talking about herself an awful lot between the lines there, eh??
        I forgot to mention about the scene with Regina and David was apparently in her office (not sure). It looked like either there was a strong lighting trick used or the entire background of the room--floor, walls, curtains, furniture, shelves & knicknacks, etc.-- was all done in black and white, while whatever clothes Regina and David had on colorized the rest of the scenery. It seemed to be done on purpose to reinforce that everything revolving around Regina or between her and David was simply black and white. One only needs to know where to look between the lines...

Comment

Regina's office is black and white, I noticed that the first time I saw it. Tastefully and classy, but all in black and white, wallpaper and everything. The only color she's had in there besides herself or clothes was a bowl of very red apples.

I think the office decor is to reenforce the idea of her cold, cold heart.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            'Once Upon a Time's' turning some of the memorable 'Disney' fairy tale moments on their head reached a wonderful high for me with the Snow White and the bird scene!

It was the funniest thing I've seen in ages! Snow White getting the cute little blue bird to come to her just so she could beat the crap out of it!

Rumpelstilskin is still the best character, there is just not enough of him on screen for my liking! The moments we do get are just so wonderfully played by RC!
            Gotta love the mean Snow White.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              I just live too much with manipulators to tolerate watching them on the screen.
              Bear with me, please.

Wow....just....wow. You definitely have issues going on if you can't truly escape into a movie, tv show, etc without being angry at the writers/director for telling a story that rubs you a in such a way that you get angry at them.

Having said that, I recently watched a movie that gradually showed a character that had friends and supportive people succumb to rage and violence against others because the character perceives themselves as alone when being abused by their family.

While that isn't a story that seems taken from my life. I felt so strong a reaction to his downfall into anger and rage and lashing out that I couldn't stay quiet. I had to consciously stop myself sometimes.

It touched a lot of nerves for me and I had to go off and think about why it did. So I understand having emotional reactions to the story of a fictional character and not liking how it progressed. But I never held the writers or directors responsible for that.

I accept that some stories (especially TV) are marathons and not sprints. So some story threads can take a long time before they get fully explored or written off.

I do not like manipulators in real life, but as characters in a fictional story they are plot devices used to get the story moving to interesting directions.

One key to stories like Stargate Universe and Once Upon A Time is that none of the manipulators are "getting away with it" in terms of people not knowing they are being manipulated. Emma has tried to expose Regina, but one flaw is that Emma cannot see (yet) truly what Regina is hiding or doing.

With Mr. Gold/Rumpel, everyone knows he makes deals and seeing as he is a very powerful and wealthy person they still need his assistance and usually always knowing that risks are involved. But they just don't know what his intentions are.

Emma knows both these characters aren't good but she is. And she will not compromise herself as shown in previous episodes. She gets pushed to bend those ethics, but she tends to hold them firm.

Sometimes, you will never enjoy the truly subtle and wonderful talents the camera man, actors, and writers have if you cannot see past your own emotions.

Just because you hate who ever those people are in your life, doesn't mean shows like Once Upon A Time and Stargate Universe are bad.

Good doesn't always triumph, but Good never stops at defeat either. Remember that and good luck.

Comment

I think there are some major differences between SGU Rush and the Evil Queen in terms of getting away with stuff. Rush doesn't really get away with much. First he isn't a cartoon bad guy out to do evil for evil sake. Half the things he does are actually for the good of the crew he is just jerk about how he does things. The truly bad things he does he gets caught for and punished really bad.

Now the Evil Queen so far seems to be a cartoon bad guy. At this point there is no reason for what she is doing besides she being a bad person. However, as pointed out people are at least trying to stop her. I really hope they bring some depth to her character. She might at least care for Henry but the way the show is going she might just be keeping him around to use his heart in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                  I think there are some major differences between SGU Rush and the Evil Queen in terms of getting away with stuff. Rush doesn't really get away with much. First he isn't a cartoon bad guy out to do evil for evil sake. Half the things he does are actually for the good of the crew he is just jerk about how he does things. The truly bad things he does he gets caught for and punished really bad.

Now the Evil Queen so far seems to be a cartoon bad guy. At this point there is no reason for what she is doing besides she being a bad person. However, as pointed out people are at least trying to stop her. I really hope they bring some depth to her character. She might at least care for Henry but the way the show is going she might just be keeping him around to use his heart in the future.
                  You do realise the show is in its fourth season?
                  The more correct sentence would be "but the way the show was going during season 1".
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    Rumpelstilskin is still the best character, there is just not enough of him on screen for my liking! The moments we do get are just so wonderfully played by RC!
                    I am torn as to whether i prefer robert in this or SGU. Both Nick and "Mr gold" are great characters and rob does such a fantastic job with both roles.

If i ever get to meet him, say at one of the conventions Star gate actors go to, perhaps i can ask.

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                    Or at least is forced to see how his own machinations brought about the problem, like his keeping the bridge secret, lead to getting Mandy on board, and then to her getting killed by Simeon.

Comment

Working...
                    X