would you have rather lived and try to survive on novus or died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    whenever people say "how can you live without X", i say "they managed that 2000 years ago".

Novus is better than Earth however. Since it has never been touched by civilization, it means iron can be found on the surface. There would be very little digging involved when mining resources.
    Hey, alot of the crap we "desperately need" today thye managed without just 200 years ago.

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
    well I can't say that

my family, science fiction novels, modern music, detective TV shows, science fiction TV shows, orange juice, French fries, toilets, constant warmth, constantly available food, being able to be lazy, English comedy
    Im sure alot of people on Destiny would have said that too (look at Eli and what he was doing before Rush and Jack came for him, then what he achieved on Novus). But rather than give up and die, they worked hard for to build new lives and a bright future for their descendants. Unless you're deathly allergic to hard work, just giving up and dying because you couldnt have your luxuries would be rather silly.
    sigpic

Comment

The choice is certain death or a chance at life. Only an extreme pessimist would choose to die rather than take the only chance at life. You can always die later.

If you're starting from nothing, you're going to have to learn to make tools out of stone, wood and bone, those are the most readily accessible materials. You might be able to find some iron if you chance upon meteorites. One important thing would be to pass on knowledge to the next generation, because the information you may not be able to use, they might be able use.

Comment

well I can't say that
        doesn't apply to everything, i'm not some tech hermit or so. i don't have a smartphone or tablet. i have an oldschool cellphone, the kind you use to text and call people.

i don't have facebook, i don't have twitter.

Unless you're deathly allergic to hard work, just giving up and dying because you couldnt have your luxuries would be rather silly.
        it doesn't even have to be hard work.

If you're starting from nothing, you're going to have to learn to make tools out of stone, wood and bone, those are the most readily accessible materials. You might be able to find some iron if you chance upon meteorites. One important thing would be to pass on knowledge to the next generation, because the information you may not be able to use, they might be able use.
        uh actually, since Novus is previously untouched, you could literally find iron and stuff at the surface..

Comment

well I can't say that

my family, science fiction novels, modern music, detective TV shows, science fiction TV shows, orange juice, French fries, toilets, constant warmth, constantly available food, being able to be lazy, English comedy
          The only thing worth dying for in your list is your family. As long as you are alive, there are always possibilities, you never know. On Novus, there where those who were waiting for Rush to return and rescue them, what if he had? My point is everyday can bring surprises, you never know. Since we're talking science fiction, you could wake up one morning and an advanced race of benevolent aliens arrive and send you home. It could happen.
          sigpic

Comment

being able to be lazy
            laziness is what brought humanity this far.

besides, being lazy is not a right, it's a luxury. the only non-luxury thing you mentioned was family. It could mean you're spoiled.

I do know what work is. i know what dirty is. i've stuck my hand in a mixture of eggshell, chicken crap, blood and eggwhite and yolk. i've had sore hands, sore arms, sore everything. i do it and i survive it because i know that once that work is done, i can get some rest. hard work usually pays off. (in some cases it does not, but that has more to do with stupidity)

Comment

It could mean you're
              if ever met me you'd know there's no "could" about it

Comment

laziness is what brought humanity this far.

besides, being lazy is not a right, it's a luxury. the only non-luxury thing you mentioned was family. It could mean you're spoiled.

I do know what work is. i know what dirty is. i've stuck my hand in a mixture of eggshell, chicken crap, blood and eggwhite and yolk. i've had sore hands, sore arms, sore everything. i do it and i survive it because i know that once that work is done, i can get some rest. hard work usually pays off. (in some cases it does not, but that has more to do with stupidity)
                that wasn't a list of things I can't live without, it was just a list of things a really like that I would not have available to me on novus

Comment

that wasn't a list of things I can't live without, it was just a list of things a really like that I would not have available to me on novus
                  I think everyone on Novus would be in the exact same position: Wishing they had things which are no longer available to them, but like you said you can live without those things. Most people would just try and make the best of what they have on the planet.

I feel ashamed about a lot of things in the world and humanity but the one main thing that is mostly consistent with humans is that when push comes to shove we have a strong survival instinct.

Comment

I think, as long as you had a group of people, there is always the possibility of joy, of shared life, of all the funny little things that make life wonderful. You could be working very hard, having a hard life, and if there were others to share that life with, you could have friendship, fellowship, and love.

That would make life worth living.
                    sigpic
                    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

whenever people say "how can you live without X", i say "they managed that 2000 years ago".
                      True.. i laugh my butt off at the kids i hear these days arguin that they NEED a laptop, cel phone and Ipad/pod, saying they can't live without them...

i have an oldschool cellphone, the kind you use to text and call people.

i don't have facebook, i don't have twitter.
                      Same here. Heck i even turned off my phones text capacity..

I think everyone on Novus would be in the exact same position: Wishing they had things which are no longer available to them, but like you said you can live without those things. Most people would just try and make the best of what they have on the planet.
                      Heck most were that way without being on novus.. No cell phones.. fast food.. caffine.. tobacco... game consoles...

Comment

No cell phone or other tech required for a plain old "scavenger" hunt. I just had so much fun trying to find a US flag caught in a tree out in the forest that we can see from the house. We spent 3 days (on and off) looking for the flag. Finally found it this morning with my mom. Wandering around the woods, and finally there it was! It's just over on the neighbors property, and someone climbed the tree and attached it there. Most kids would think this totally boring, but it was a heck of a lot of fun! If I could climb that tree, I'd swap it for a pirate's flag!
                        I do like having a camera though!
                        Last edited by jeri; 21 March 2012, 12:56 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

novus that whole thing was so awesome
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I wonder, if we had more time, say a 3rd season, would they have expanded on Novus, Terminus and the other colonies?

Comment

^I definitely think so. I think at the very least they would have met up with those people who where supposed to be out ahead somewhere in spaceships. There would have been all kinds of story lines they could have followed. They hopefully would have had allies amongst these people. I also like to think they would have found friends in aliens too.

This would have been far more interesting to me than phoning home with the stones. Talk about long distance!

We humans are basically herd animals, we like to have lots of us around. Having an alliance with the Novans would have given a larger dimension with their ships and society. But they would still have to create more solidarity within Destiny's crew, which was starting to happen towards the end.
                              sigpic

Comment

I would survive on Novus. It's amazing how easy living can become, when the thought of death looms over you. Being out of contact with family and alone would not bother me. When you strip away everything and get down to the basics, you can do without a lot more than you think you can. Even if you could stay in contact, you would be hard pressed to find the time in a real "clothes on your back" survival situation.

In truth, even aboard the Destiny the cast had far too much free time on their hands to accurately portray their plight for survival.
                                Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

Working...
                                X