Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was SGU trying to be battlestar galactica?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was SGU trying to be battlestar galactica?

I really hate it when a new thing comes along in a genre is a big success..... but then everybody else who works in that genre decides that every thing in that genre has to be like that new thing to be successful even if it's an established franchise who's appeal has always been something completely different

I doubt they were trying to copy it, but I think the success of BSG made the decision to change (which Coop in particular had wanted for years) much easier. And to be honest, despite some of the superficial elements (which are more like Firefly anyway) and the very basic premise (which is a genre classic), it's not that much like BSG at all. The tone is very similar, but beyond that they're very different shows.

Comment

For the billionth time, NO
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I think the OP is onto something.

BSG made a huge splash in sci-fi, affecting all the other SyFy shows that were on concurrently. SGA suddenly became a lot darker, with a serialized story arc format in its 4th season. SG1, which had always had one-off episodes, became a serial too in its last 2 seasons. On SGA, they even started using the term "make the jump to FTL", words that had never been uttered on a Stargate show before.

I don't think they were necessarily ripping off BSG, but the influence is obvious. The handheld shaky cam, the more realistic space flight effects shots with reaction control jets firing away, the moody lighting, sex scenes, deeply flawed characters, rusty old ship, etc. That's all BSG.

Comment

Originally posted by Jump237 View Post
          I think the OP is onto something.

BSG made a huge splash in sci-fi, affecting all the other SyFy shows that were on concurrently. SGA suddenly became a lot darker, with a serialized story arc format in its 4th season. SG1, which had always had one-off episodes, became a serial too in its last 2 seasons. On SGA, they even started using the term "make the jump to FTL", words that had never been uttered on a Stargate show before.

I don't think they were necessarily ripping off BSG, but the influence is obvious. The handheld shaky cam, the more realistic space flight effects shots with reaction control jets firing away, the moody lighting, sex scenes, deeply flawed characters, rusty old ship, etc. That's all BSG.
          Um, they're premièred at the same time.

Comment

Aside from the look of SGU and certain elements, there is nothing else comparable to nuBSG. The premise is entirely original (away from BSG that is).
            Hi There!

Comment

dollars to donuts says the op didnt actually WATCH all of SGU.

Comment

BSG had an impact on television? I didn't want BSG, but I was aware of it. It was obvious that SGU was trying to copy the show. Sometimes, emulating works out. However, the result was not interesting, it was boring. My biggest complain about SGU more than anything else was that it was boring.

Comment

I agree.

However the last few episodes were very entertaining.

Here is the thing: Stargate Universe got a second season because it had the title of being Stargate. Many shows don't get a second season or even a full first season. If this labeled as something else for example, it would not have lasted.

Take for example the first and second seasons of Star Trek TNG which are considered one of the worse seasons for TNG. TNG managed to get through the first two seasons because of the avid fanbase.

Stargate Universe had a fanbase. I would say the typical Stargate fan have tuned in on SGU at least once. But the fact is, Universe was so different then the other two shows that it turned off many Stargate fans that could have supported the show until it found it's footing.

Same idea with Caprica the spinoff off of nuBSG. Totally different from nuBSG that it turned off many of the franchise fans.

To be a successful franchise spinoff series, you cannot let your fanbase turn away from your show. That is what happened to SGU.
                  Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                    However the last few episodes were very entertaining.
                    I've read good things about the second season. I'm going to give the show a second try after I catch up on Sanctuary and watch Surface.

Here is the thing: Stargate Universe got a second season because it had the title of being Stargate. Many shows don't get a second season or even a full first season. If this labeled as something else for example, it would not have lasted.
                    I think SciFi really wanted to give the show a shot. Two seasons was more than enough time to build an audience. FOX did the same thing with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The first season was awesome with great ratings. The second season was even better, but it lost direction mid-season with too many characters and storylines. I think it got too hard to follow, thus viewership tanked. Sadly, that lead to cancellation. At least the show put out 31 episodes.

Take for example the first and second seasons of Star Trek TNG which are considered one of the worse seasons for TNG. TNG managed to get through the first two seasons because of the avid fanbase.
                    The fanbase had nothing to do with it. The show was on syndication without a network to deal with. The studio had a lot of faith in the show. The fans hated the show at first, because it wasn't Captain Kirk. It was new viewers that kept the show afloat. The fans caught on later on. Further, how can you say the early seasons of TNG were the worst? I'd argue they are better than anything on television today. How can you scoff episodes such as "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Where Silence Has Lease?" There were a few bad episodes, but most shows put out a few lame episodes as they find their legs.

Stargate Universe had a fanbase. I would say the typical Stargate fan have tuned in on SGU at least once. But the fact is, Universe was so different then the other two shows that it turned off many Stargate fans that could have supported the show until it found it's footing.
                    I was under the impression that the producers didn't care about the SG fanbase in favor of drawing in new viewers? I've tuned into SGU during syndicated reruns. I had no idea what was going on and tuned out within ten minutes. Serial story-telling is very bad if you want someone to tune in mid-season. I don't think people tuned out, because it was different. People tuned out, because it was boring. The casual viewers tuned out, because they had no idea what was going on.

To be a successful franchise spinoff series, you cannot let your fanbase turn away from your show. That is what happened to SGU.
                    Do we need the phrase franchise spinoff? The word franchise is beyond overused on these forums. You can't rely on the fanbase. For a TV show to succeed, you have to rely on the casual TV viewers, because that will be the bulk of the audience. Tell good stories, and people will watch. Keep the story-lines accessible to people who will view sporadically, not watching every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      I've read good things about the second season. I'm going to give the show a second try after I catch up on Sanctuary and watch Surface.
                      Watch the last half of it. There is a two parter that ranks up there among my favorite Stargate episodes.

I think SciFi really wanted to give the show a shot. Two seasons was more than enough time to build an audience. FOX did the same thing with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The first season was awesome with great ratings. The second season was even better, but it lost direction mid-season with too many characters and storylines. I think it got too hard to follow, thus viewership tanked. Sadly, that lead to cancellation. At least the show put out 31 episodes.
                      True. I forgot the specific reason why Sarah Connor Chronicles was cancelled but it was not because of low ratings.

The fanbase had nothing to do with it. The show was on syndication without a network to deal with. The studio had a lot of faith in the show. The fans hated the show at first, because it wasn't Captain Kirk. It was new viewers that kept the show afloat. The fans caught on later on. Further, how can you say the early seasons of TNG were the worst? I'd argue they are better than anything on television today. How can you scoff episodes such as "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Where Silence Has Lease?" There were a few bad episodes, but most shows put out a few lame episodes as they find their legs.
                      Those two episodes I consider to be slightly above quality. Certainly not comparable to the excellent "Measure of a Man". Anyway, TNG stayed on because it was something new, not seen before (up to a point of course). Fanbase did help because despite the fans hating it, there were still a large portion of them still watching it. New viewers helped considerably, especially during the period between S3 and S4.

I was under the impression that the producers didn't care about the SG fanbase in favor of drawing in new viewers? I've tuned into SGU during syndicated reruns. I had no idea what was going on and tuned out within ten minutes. Serial story-telling is very bad if you want someone to tune in mid-season. I don't think people tuned out, because it was different. People tuned out, because it was boring. The casual viewers tuned out, because they had no idea what was going on.
                      That is exactly my point. You put Stargate on the title, and brand it as a spinoff off of Stargate, you'd expect to pull in the fanbase. But the different premise and it being boring especially in the first season, turned off many fans. The casual viewer will have no clue what is going on and will change the channel much more quickly than a fan trying his/her hardest to watch it.

Do we need the phrase franchise spinoff? The word franchise is beyond overused on these forums. You can't rely on the fanbase. For a TV show to succeed, you have to rely on the casual TV viewers, because that will be the bulk of the audience. Tell good stories, and people will watch. Keep the story-lines accessible to people who will view sporadically, not watching every episode.
                      Franchise spinoff is exactly what it is. Stargate is a franchise just like Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who or even BSG to a lesser extent. It's also a spinoff.
                      Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        I dispise many things about SGU, I would still say watch at least S2 11-20, it really did find its legs IMHO.

Comparing T:TSCC to SGU is somewhat unfair, inasmuch that SCC was a "trial spinoff" of a movie series, SGU was a Spinoff of 12 years and 15 seasons of TV.

The fanbase had nothing to do with it. The show was on syndication without a network to deal with. The studio had a lot of faith in the show.
                        Even still, they were merly copying precedent. TOS *failed* as a show for the network, It did however *win* as a sydicated concept. It's easier to take "risks" with history behind you

The fans hated the show at first, because it wasn't Captain Kirk. It was new viewers that kept the show afloat. The fans caught on later on.
                        Indeed.
                        My Mum did not want to watch it because it was not "Kirk", yet I am just young enough to have missed (or understood) TOS, yet by the time TNG came around, whole different story.

Further, how can you say the early seasons of TNG were the worst? I'd argue they are better than anything on television today. How can you scoff episodes such as "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Where Silence Has Lease?" There were a few bad episodes, but most shows put out a few lame episodes as they find their legs.
                        On "personal" reflection, they may well have been the worst, how long was it before we found out Data was "fully fuctional and trained in multiple styles and tecniques" .
                        I sorta agree here, and I sorta don't.

Now THIS I really just agree with.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

people, if you want to compare it to shows, please watch those shows first.

i watched BSG. and i think it is a compliment for SGU to be compared to it.

yes, there are some similarities between SGU and BSG. i could probably point out similarities between SGU and Donald Duck, SGU and TinTin, SGU and Madonna and SGU and the pope.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

yes, there are some similarities between SGU and BSG. i could probably point out similarities between SGU and Donald Duck, SGU and TinTin, SGU and Madonna and SGU and the pope.
                            I TRULY hope that was not directed my way.............
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Being compared to nuBSG is only a compliment at FACE VALUE. The main part of why nuBSG was successful was because it was not boring or even slow. Yes there were was slow episodes and even boring ones. But not an entire season and a half.

nuBSG was engaging. SGU was not. Not until last half of season 2.
                              Hi There!

Comment

Working...
                              X