Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of curiosity, what makes this show so good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity, what makes this show so good?

It seems, from what I have heard, that this show has a small but loyal fanbase, and that Fox has been taking care of it for a while. Can't help but wonder what makes the show so good, so I decided, why not ask the fans...

So what makes this show so good?
    sigpic

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    It seems, from what I have heard, that this show has a small but loyal fanbase, and that Fox has been taking care of it for a while. Can't help but wonder what makes the show so good, so I decided, why not ask the fans...

So what makes this show so good?
    Well, you heard at least partially wrong. FOX appears to be doing everything in their power to kill Fringe.

Anyway it's something rather unique. The characters are great and incredibly likeable, it's well shot, obviously high production quality, the acting is great, and maybe most important--the showrunners are doing a phenomenal job of spooling out answers to mysteries and even more mysterious questions. It's a show where you frequently feel like you know what's going on, and then a reveal comes along that makes you go 'ohhhhh', and you find yourself thinking back on how you didn't think of that before. And then you wonder what else you don't know
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Hm...My mistake then. But if they really wanted it gone why not pull the plug?
      sigpic

Comment

Last year they moved it into the Friday Night Death Slot. It held its ratings--barely, so there was no cause to cancel it.

This year they're whining that it's losing money...without bothering to mention that a) THEY PUT IT IN THE FRIDAY NIGHT DEATH SLOT; or b) that their scheduling of the show since its return for Season 4 has been erratic at best.

They premiered this season in late September, aired four episodes....and then disappeared from the schedule for 3 weeks for the damned baseball finals. Then they aired three more...before taking another two months break (mid-Nov till mid-Jan). Since January they'll have aired seven consecutive weeks as of tomorrow night which seems like a real credit, until you look at the schedule and see they've removed it again for another month (after tomorrow, Feb 24, it doesn't return till Mar 23).
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Well, you heard at least partially wrong. FOX appears to be doing everything in their power to kill Fringe.

Anyway it's something rather unique. The characters are great and incredibly likeable, it's well shot, obviously high production quality, the acting is great, and maybe most important--the showrunners are doing a phenomenal job of spooling out answers to mysteries and even more mysterious questions. It's a show where you frequently feel like you know what's going on, and then a reveal comes along that makes you go 'ohhhhh', and you find yourself thinking back on how you didn't think of that before. And then you wonder what else you don't know
          Digi has it right. It's a unique, well acted show that actually gives some answers to some of the mysteries that are so vital to the show. I agree that Fox seems to be trying to bury the show and forget about it.
          "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
          - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Like most of J. J. Abram's work it's just an amazing story with a wonderful, likeable cast.

The show has good elements of sci-fi, mystery and humour. Also like that it make you think, ask questions, compels you to keep watching in order to find out answers (A little like Lost in that respect).

Comment

It's J.J. Abrams, he puts a certain kind of magic into shows that makes them appealing. Even though he doesn't produce the shows, trace elements remain; elements such as the characters, the moments, the acting, the mystery, the world; I've come to treat Fringe characters like my characters and I would be antsy if I missed them for just one second. Same goes for Lost.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                Like most of J. J. Abram's work it's just an amazing story with a wonderful, likeable cast.

The show has good elements of sci-fi, mystery and humour. Also like that it make you think, ask questions, compels you to keep watching in order to find out answers (A little like Lost in that respect).
                I totally agree with your post. Couldn't have said it any better myself.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                  It's J.J. Abrams, he puts a certain kind of magic into shows that makes them appealing. Even though he doesn't produce the shows, trace elements remain; elements such as the characters, the moments, the acting, the mystery, the world; I've come to treat Fringe characters like my characters and I would be antsy if I missed them for just one second. Same goes for Lost.
                  I concur!
                  sigpic

Comment

Mantis duh
                    Last edited by TheRandomOne; 09 May 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                      Mantis duh
                      Mantis?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Mantis?
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoyJoafvysc

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                          Mantis duh
                          That was a pretty funny scene. Made me smile.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The reason I like Fringe is because of the characters/actors.

Jasika is such an amazing actress and I love how much she gives to Astrid. Astrid is small part, but I always watch for her.

Anna is just as amazing. She holds her own and I believe in Olivia because of her.

John is so wonderful as Walter and his reality/insanity just shines through and is enjoyable and weird at the same time.

Joshua he plays Peter with all his heart and i love his portrayal of him.

Lance is a stern Broyals and his acting is great in every universe we see him in.

Blair is so devious as Nina and you question her every move.
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                              The reason I like Fringe is because of the characters/actors.

Jasika is such an amazing actress and I love how much she gives to Astrid. Astrid is small part, but I always watch for her.

Anna is just as amazing. She holds her own and I believe in Olivia because of her.

John is so wonderful as Walter and his reality/insanity just shines through and is enjoyable and weird at the same time.

Joshua he plays Peter with all his heart and i love his portrayal of him.

Lance is a stern Broyals and his acting is great in every universe we see him in.

Blair is so devious as Nina and you question her every move.
                              Very good breakdown!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X