Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you thinks it's realistic that western civilisation wouldn't change if.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you thinks it's realistic that western civilisation wouldn't change if.....

technology didn't?
    because based on the way the people on the colony planet talked a behaved and the way the planet in Blockade's architecture and infrastructure was set out, SGU seems to take the view that so long as the tech level is pretty similar we'll still be saying "cool", picking up our dry cleaning and watching movies in 2000 years
    Last edited by slimjim; 23 February 2012, 01:17 PM.

Don't know; but despite all the changing technology, life seems to remain the same; We'll all have our tasks, we'll all have our places, we'll all have our daily things to do; the only things that do change are the settings.
    Back from the grave.

Comment

SGU seems to take the view that so long as the tech level is pretty similar we'll still be saying "cool", picking up our dry cleaning and watching movies in 2000 years
      there are a few things to consider.

on earth, there's a lot of external influence. there are many beliefs, cultures, religions, opinions and ideas. on Novus, the culture, belief and religion pools are rather limited. i think North korea is an excellent example: stuff stays quite the same as the people there have no external reference, and are happy the way things are. (well, generally).

Comment

I think it's more just a case of production constraints. It's much more feasible to dress up an existed set than create and entirely new culture and social structure and everything that goes along with that.

Comment

yes, that's certainly true, can't argue with that.

however it's not really the OP question.

i do not believe it's technology bound, i think it's bound by variety of and exposure to other cultures and beliefs. with only 80 people of largely american backgrounds, Culture would not have been very varied. granted, some of Wray's chinese thingeys got through, and maybe a few other things. however, culture still stays largely uniform.

besides, Novus only had two countries: those who believed Rush would return and those who did not. again, not exactly a very varied environment. Novus, thus, existed of a largely uniform group of people with a largely uniform culture and a largely uniform belief system. without any external reference to other cultures, the culture would've been largely the same. just as other languages would largely be erased in favor of English.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            there are a few things to consider.

on earth, there's a lot of external influence. there are many beliefs, cultures, religions, opinions and ideas. on Novus, the culture, belief and religion pools are rather limited. i think North korea is an excellent example: stuff stays quite the same as the people there have no external reference, and are happy the way things are. (well, generally).
            except North korea is protected not just from external changes in thinking, it's protected from changes in thinking al together

have the changes to western society in real life been the result of changes in ideas that came from without or within, like say the move towards a more Permissive society over the last 50 years for example?

Comment

except North korea is protected not just from external changes in thinking, it's protected from changes in thinking al together
              the people CAN think differently. i mean, there are plenty who realize it's crap and they want to escape. it's just that the TV shows nothing from abroad, not the newspapers, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                have the changes to western society in real life been the result of changes in ideas that came from without or within, like say the move towards a more Permissive society over the last 50 years for example?
                Well the change of ideas would be considerable but I guess the the events that happened and the various forms of communication introduced brought upon said changes that are certainly notable.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                X